Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 11:13 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanaja View Post
Should I try changing the apartment from carpet to hardwood but still there is carpet in the bedrooms any idea about any apartments in Dallas area where I can find hardwood flooring apartments built recently with less pollution around ?I am trying my best I could find ones which are nes but less floor space.... Or since I feel the problem is in Dallas that it is a bad place off repitory problems should I move to Florida since I read it is a asthma friendl place? My pulmonologist says that herd are more chances for my kid to be asthmatic through his life since he is suffering so much ... I really really wing to avoid the oral steroids on him... It's been 2 years now and don't want to give him any more if steroids and anutbiotics... Any suggestions?
Once again i really appreciate your response.... Thank you so much....
No carpet in the bedroom. That was the first thing we changed with my kid. She had wood before the rest of the house, due to budget restraints. I'm not sure about the focus on Florida. I'm no doctor but not sure why it would be much better there. Most everyone I've known who have moved due to allergies and asthma have moved west to drier states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 07:30 PM

13 posts, read 16,738 times
Florida is just as bad. When we moved here from FL my allergist told me I was moving to the one place that was as bad or worse as FL. Any place with a long growing season is going to cause problems and any place with a lot of traffic will make your asthma worse IME. My oldest has terrible allergies, but after a couple of years of trial and error we now have him on minimal rx's. The key is to notice the triggers and patterns and head if off before it gets to the crisis point. Definitely see an allergist. We've tried (and still take) fish oil, local honey, vit D, probiotics etc etc and never saw any improvements on our allergies. Allergy shots have worked the best. They're expensive and inconvenient, but they've worked for us.

I second the idea that there's mold in your home. That's a huge trigger. Try sleeping somewhere else for a couple of days and see if there's a difference. Re: carpet, our allergist told us if you keep pets out of the bedroom, vacuum frequently, wash bedding frequently, and change filters, changing flooring won't make a noticeable difference. We pulled out the carpet anyway on our whole house and he was right--it made no difference. Now we're back to carpet in a new house--still no difference. We have covers on all our mattresses and washable down alternative pillows from Ikea that we wash weekly and I think those help. Also take a shower and wash your hair to remove pollen before bed. If you can get him to use it, a neti pot/nasal rinse is helpful, but I've read that it can increase sinus infections if you overuse it. We use it in early fall and spring--our worst seasons. Fall/October here is always a killer for us. February is bad for us too.

I hate giving steroids because they destroy my kid's mood and sleep. But if we let him get into a crisis, we have to use them or he'll get a chest infection. I find that if we start Claritin/Zyrtec as soon as the season starts and use xopenex (albuterol) and budesinide in a nebulizer 2-4x a day at the first sign of a barky cough, we can avoid a bronchial infection and abx. Budesinide is an inhaled steroid which we've found to have fewer side effect than the oral steroids, but before we figured out this routine we were giving him oral doses and the nebulizer and abx for at least 2 weeks of every allergy season, usually one episode would end up taking 6 weeks to get under control

Sorry for the novel, but I feel your pain. Allergies are a terrible burden, but once you figure out what works, they're pretty easy to deal with and most kids will outgrow them. My son is very athletic, spends a ton of time outdoors, and rarely has to use his inhaler, and it's usually because I've nagged him into it! Good luck--you'll figure it out too, but definitely see an allergist asap.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:39 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanaja View Post
My 5 year old kid is suffering from asthma and pneumonia from the time we moved to Dallas and was on steroids and antibiotics whenever he is sick and if was every alternate month and now recently it is so uncontrollable that he needs to be hospitalized almost very month from October till jan 2014.

He is all controller medicines he takes singular Zyrtec nasonex dulerA and albuterol with vest every day 2 times and nothing is helping him

He was a completely normal kid when we lived in St. Louis no asthma no medications nothing

We are planning to move Ou to asthma friendly places to Florida tampa.. Did any one move to this place or any place from Texas to Florida and did that help?

Any suggestions please.. It matters a lot to me..

Thank you
Do you smoke?

Anyhow, moving only trades one set of allergies for another set of allergies...and you hope you're not allergic to the new allergens. If you want to move to Florida, by all means, go for it. I just can't help but think it's something simple, you are your neighbors pets or smoking etc. Where are you located...general area?

Old 01-25-2014, 10:17 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,023,277 times
OP,
My friends family relocated California as their kid was also not able to cope up with asthma here. My older one is also diagnosed with Asthma. We relocated to here when he was 2 years old. He went threw lot of difficulties. But as soon as we moved here, our doctor immediately diagnosed it and put us on proper medication schedule. That helped us a lot. Most of the times, he manages with asthma medicine (Albutarol and Budsodine) without a doctor visit. We still make 2-3 visits (Asthma flareups) per year for regular antibiotics.

If you are using inhalers, try using Nebuliser (vials). I think Vials are more effective. Albutarol can be given once in 4 hours. You can give it more than 2 times. I will give this to my kid up to 4 times and budsodine (antibiotic vial) for 2 times. You have to be very proactive in giving astham medicine. As soon as you see first sign of coughing, you can try using this medicine. According to my doctor, these Astham medicines (Albutarol and Budsodine) are much better than normal antibiotics. She encourages us to use them liberally before things go out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: