Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 06:55 AM

55 posts, read 137,585 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have started my home search and am looking for guidance. My questions could have already been answered in som many other threads - but somehow I couod not find the answers to the questions in my mind.

I am looking between homes at Frisco, Plano, Las Colinas.

Frisco seems too much out of the city. I currently work out of Lewisville & my hubby in Plano. But, that is for now. I am looking for locations - where in we may be able to commute easily; if it means we will have to change jobs in future. We both work in IT.

I see the schools in Frisco are rated excellent in Great Schools. I have heard that Plano schools are better than Frisco - but when I look at their ratings in Great Schools - I do not see them rated as good. I am looking at schools that feed in for Villas of Pecan Creek by Highland homes, West Park Villas by Toll Brothers. The prices of these homes seem to be in par with Frisco, but the schools to not seem to hold the same kind of ratings - which contradicts what I read here.

Between, somehow, I am not convinced with wither Frisco/Plano and seem to be leaning towards - Las Colinas - we currently live here in an apartment. I am thinking that from location and accessibility to any part of the city - this place is great. But in comparison, this falls in CFB-ISD which is not great for middle & high schools. Also, I find the HOA fees to be 1300 per year in these communtiies as against just about 400 for communities in Frisco, Plano - and these come with a pool.

My budget is 400K. I was thinking it is makes sense to wait for Bridges of Las Colinas - but not sure if that will fall within my price limits.

Guidance & suggestions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 15,553 times
Needs:
1. Proximity to Plano & Lewisville (must be located centrally in case you change jobs.

2. Priced around $400,000

3. Good schools

4. New construction

Contenders: Frisco, Plano, Las Colinas

Advice: West Park suits your current and future needs best. It offers a good location, has good builders and good schools.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:20 AM

For West Park VIlals, Harrington Elementary is rated 9/10,

Carpenter Middle school has a rating of 6/10 - really?

Clark High School - 8/10

Plano Senior High - this is rated 4/10 - huh?

Appreciate any comments on the school

Old 01-23-2014, 11:01 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,179 times
this is a hot subject...plano/frisco/allen and McKinney all mesh and each schools system has its goods and bads. Honestly, 400k is tough here in frisco now. There is some up independence towards virgina parkway and while that is only 10 minutes to 121..no reason to do that kind of commute if you don't have too. I would try and stay along the 121 corrider if possible. Its the new construction you may have to be flexible on. North frisco may seem out in the boonies for you. But south frisco is prime real estate. Regarding schools, you will find a wealth of info here and some sparring on it as well.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,926,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maanu View Post

Clark High School - 8/10

Plano West and Plano East are also rated 4/10. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that their rating method uses an approach that doesn't appropriately measure schools with only 11th and 12th graders.

The other ratings seem about right. Carpenter really is not a very good MS by Plano standards.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:29 AM

63 posts, read 133,789 times
I am sure that seeing some actual rankings would help you. US News & World Report magazine has
them here for Texas: Search Texas High Schools | US News

To summarize, for our DFW area, the top schools according to this list are, I stopped at Plano HS:
Highland Park #17 in state
Coppell #41 in state
Plano West #45 in state
Plano Senior #59 in state
Liberty #86 in state
Plano East #90 in state

Hope that helps. I think if you use metrics you will get a better feel
for what works for your child. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 10,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maanu View Post

Clark High School - 8/10

I don't know about Harrington or Carpenter but Clark and Plano Senior are really good schools. Any ranking where Plano Senior gets 4/10, better mark most of DFW high schools as 0/10 excluding top private, elite magnet, Highland Park High, Plano West & Coppell high. By the way don't forget that PISD offers options to transfer to Plano West Sr High/Plano East Sr High, IB Academy, Health Academy and STEAM Academy. Its a win win situation. We moved from Plano to Highland Park because my wife inherited her aunt's home here, my oldest graduated from Plano West and other two are going to HP High, we don't see any diffrence in educational standard. I think Plano does a fantastic job with their schools.

For your commute, schools and prospect of job relocation, I wouldn't recommend Frisco.

Last edited by Highlandpork; 01-23-2014 at 12:17 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 12:55 PM

105 posts, read 219,383 times
OP, why aren't you considering Coppell? Seems to meet all your criteria, centrally located, and schools are great, from what I hear.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:00 PM

Not sure if I will be able to find a new homes - with a decent backyard for 400K in Coppell. Darling homes has some patio kind of homes that do not impress much. There is a Willow Park - that also is patio type.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:08 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoTex View Post
I am sure that seeing some actual rankings would help you. US News & World Report magazine has
them here for Texas: Search Texas High Schools | US News
The US news rankings are highly flawed and that topic has been beaten to death on this forum.

The most objective ranking for a HS is the % of National Merit Semifinalists as a % of the HS senior class. The number of NMSF is fixed for the state as a whole. For a school to have above .4% means they are beating the state average and beating out the other schools.

Here is last years.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/31425645-post22.html

Overall for the area.

2014 National Merit Semi-Finalists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas