Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,104 times

Advertisements

I am house hunting in North Dallas. I really liked some homes near Renner Middle School. Is this a good area and school. My son would start middle school in fall. I found only few homes below $400,000. I was told during my job interview that Plano is really affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 08:03 AM

161 posts, read 240,835 times
As a whole, the city of Plano is affordable depending on location. You will find them mostly in the central and eastern parts of the city. That being said, Renner MS feeds into the most expensive real estate of Plano so I'd try looking at houses not directly by the school, but within the Renner zone. Not sure what your budget is, but if you are dead set on having him go through the Renner/Shepton/Plano West route, try looking for houses west of the Tollway in 75093 and 75024 (make sure the home is zoned for Plano schools, not Lewisville) or north central Plano (north of Spring Creek Pkwy between Ohio and Coit). You will be able to find homes less than $400K in those areas.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:04 AM

953 posts, read 1,830,749 times
It is a great school and area. I think Betty answered very well and I will echo her points...

Old 02-22-2014, 10:50 AM

72 posts, read 123,697 times
Renner is a great school located in Collin County's most desireable pocket. You can't go wrong with those neighborhoods. They are expensive but offer whole package so very good value.

Total listings 112
Highest $7 Million
Under $400k 15 (7 already under contract)

As Betty mentioned don't limit your search to immediate area, whole feeder is nice. Homes West of DNT are usually a better value as most buyers and even many realtors assume that west of DNT is LISD though 70% of it feeds to PISD. Barksdale, Cenntenial and Brinker are elementary schools that feed to Renner, Shepton & PWSH are secondary schools. Bus service is available to and from STEAM, Health and International Baccalaureate Acadamies. PWHS already sits on top of all ranking charts and things just got sweeter as Jasper joined it recently.

Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Costco, Shops at Willowbend, Legacy Town center, all tollways, Shops at Park/Preston, Stone Briar, Galleria, DART Bus, Tom Muhlenback Center, Texas Presbyterian, Children's Medical Center, Baylor Heart, Arbor Hill Nature Reserve and a world of dinning/shopping/activities/services near by. Unlike most parts of Collin County, lot sizes are bigger, homes interesting ( you must take a fantasy tour of WillowBend Country, Kings Lake and Ranchero estates)and most streets are tree lined. You get all the benefits of an established neighborhood. Its a short commute to elite private schools of Dallas and DFW airport so that adds value. We have two golf courses/country clubs in area that feeds to Renner. You get option to pick alley, drive way, front or side garages.

I am totally biased but you can ask any long time resident who knows his real estate.

Last edited by CheerBeer; 02-22-2014 at 11:20 AM..

Old 02-22-2014, 11:33 AM

62 posts, read 143,359 times
Yes, I second everything that CheerBeer said here. I live in this area and my son attends Renner and it has been excellent. This area is fantastic and there really isn't anything of significance that you can't get to within 30mins from this location with close proximity to three tollways. I moved here from out of state in the summer and couldn't be happier with the West Plano area.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,104 times
Thanks every one. Just had a chat with an investor acquaintance and he explained DFW housing market in a nut shell. My budget is $400,000-600,000 depending on the package. I've got some recommendations for local realtors so hunting begins soon.

I'm hoping for listings to come on market near end of school term. Is it good to wait for that?

Last edited by MarkSilver039; 02-22-2014 at 12:40 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 05:37 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,749 times
You can wait after the end of the school year if you'd like buy I doubt it will help you in dfw. It is growing explosive in that area. Also, if you plan to take out a mortgage then you are risking an interest rate hike!!!

Old 02-22-2014, 07:41 PM

263 posts, read 565,313 times
If you don't need the elementary school the Huffman area also feeds to Renner, Shepton, and Plano West. It also has some nice homes within your budget, but the elementary has issues. Good luck on your search.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:40 PM

786 posts, read 1,223,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fndmom View Post
If you don't need the elementary school the Huffman area also feeds to Renner, Shepton, and Plano West. It also has some nice homes within your budget, but the elementary has issues. Good luck on your search.
Agree. Huffman is a train wreck. There are much better options in that area for elementary level.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/commu...n-rezoning.ece

Old 02-23-2014, 07:37 AM

72 posts, read 123,697 times
I've heard about positive changes brought by rezoning. They earned performance distinction for current year but still not in the same league as Barksdale/Brinker/Centennial/Rice/Skaggs.

I wouldn't recommend waiting, don't let go of a good house if you find one. There are never too many listings below $500k in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas