Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:40 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: orphaned

They brought this on themselves. I've heard too many people from Allen smugly diss Richardson, calling it "old" and "run-down." Someone once even made fun of us because we passed a bond issue to fix our roads while they passed one to build a luxurious football stadium.

Who's laughing now?

Me. Let me have this.

Or put me on ignore.

But don't tell me I'm wrong.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 05-24-2014 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: Orphaned quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 09:44 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,549 times

BigDGeek is absolutely okay in laughing at it and so am I. Seriously, the "people" passed the bond issue to build a $60MM football stadium. Although the district cannot hire teachers through the bond but why need a bond in the first place? Even if you did raise a bond then at least utilize it to strengthen the school system infrastructure such as libraries, secondary programs for economically disadvantaged, "college preparedness" infrastructure and eco-system.. there are several avenues the city could have strengthened instead of a darn football stadium.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 05-24-2014 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Orphaned quote

Old 05-22-2014, 06:34 AM

91 posts, read 151,013 times
It's not a matter of laughing at their questionable decision or unfortunate outcome, people are laughing because Allen residents (not all but overall) were too smug about it.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:08 AM

953 posts, read 1,830,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renu.Uner View Post
It's not a matter of laughing at their questionable decision or unfortunate outcome, people are laughing because Allen residents (not all but overall) were too smug about it.
^^^ This. Also, it is extremely important to vote at these elections. In fact, a good city should have a minimum voters turnout rule to pass any such thing.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:37 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
^^^ This. Also, it is extremely important to vote at these elections. In fact, a good city should have a minimum voters turnout rule to pass any such thing.
Great idea.

Too many big issues are decided by a small group of people.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:43 AM

They will probably have to rebuild the faulty structures. The consultant faulted the design and then the actual implementation.

I wonder who Allen's outside inspectors were? I wonder if Allen got a 3rd party review of the design and project plans?

I also wonder if the Allen community boosters will step forward and keep supporting this? Or will there be a circular firing squad?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:54 AM

212 posts, read 409,938 times
This is not life or death. It is funny in a "God is gonna get getcha one way or another" kind of way. There was a lot - a lot - of hubris in building a palace to showcase (some of) the teenagers, notwithstanding the rationalizations. So this hiccup? Well, giggle.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:00 AM

There is not a 100% opportunity cost, but there is one, both financially and from a leadership standpoint. Senior leadership only has so many cycles and has to pick priorities.

BIG STADIUM or academic excellence?

Just a handful of kid relative to the entire school age population will use that stadium. That is incredibly short sighted.

I was a varsity athlete and NMSF. I saw how we athletes were treated and the resources used for our games and training. The school spent thousands on each of us, yet the kids on the honors track got nothing. Many were bullied in Jr High. I felt embarrassed to leave my honors classes and suit up for football. As a running back and receiver, I had a weight coach, a speed coach, plus two assistant coaches and a head coach. I got one on one attention for 4 to 8 hours each week starting in summer. We even had a special passing coach for our QBs. We had food, drink, our own lockers, etc.

I got more attention for one touchdown (due to a defense mistake) than I did for making NMSF. I earned my NMSF. Not so sure what I earned on the field due to the incredible support system.

I am eternally grateful to my teachers for telling me in no uncertain terms that they expected me to be ready for class regardless of my "outside activities." Most of the other athletes' teachers were coaches and they got to skate.

What if every group of 30 students had an academics coach? Or a drill coach for certain subjects?

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 05-24-2014 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: Orphaned quote

Old 05-22-2014, 02:58 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
RE the Frisco stadium debacle--
why should the district have to pay anything for this--
the DESIGN was at fault--the IMPLEMENTATION was at fault--
I don't know too many school boards who design football stadiums or too many coaches who are actually building them--
the companies who did the design and the construction both carry insurance for issues like this--
problem is the ISD has to take them to court and prove they were negligent--
which would take time and mean the stadium would be in limbo--can't destroy the evidence until the verdict is in...and they won't wait for that I'm sure...

they should get settlement though from both parties to cover significant cost of redo--

and from what I know about the district's own company hired to supervise construction projects--it is the blind leading the blind...
they aren't going to call foul on any big project--they just want to get paid...

Old 05-22-2014, 03:15 PM

419 posts, read 553,279 times
Im pretty sure the contractor and architect both said the district would not have to pay for any of the repairs. The two will have to duke it out over who does pay, which could delay repairs, for sure. Then there's the language in the contract about liquidated damages. I would be surprised if the district didn't recoup all of the revenue it's losing by loss of use this season. An embarrassment, yes. One that got national news coverage because of the original price tag. But these things happen all the time without the attention this is getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: