Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:20 PM

4 posts, read 19,184 times

Advertisements

So, here's the deal. My friend (19) and I (23) work together at a store in Delaware. They have recently opened a new one in Dallas and (since we apparently feel some NEED to go experience new things), we're thinking of moving down there. Only thing is, we've never lived outside of Delaware/Eastern Maryland our entire lives.

I was just REALLY hoping for some sort of pointers in a few key areas that I need answers to before I go any further in the Great Move of Early 2008.

The store is located in Dallas near the Collin line (that's how it looks on the map) and a little west of University to Texas - Dallas Campus. Is that a decent area of town? We're going to need to get a cheap (and I mean CHEAP) yet safe apartment, don't care really about quality, within 20 or 30 minutes of there. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, we each have two horses. Any suggestions on nearby boarding possibilities as well? Self care would be fine, I don't really care about arenas, I just need something nice and reasonably priced. Are there any places in the city or near that area that are state parks or something similar that I could trailer to? I dunno, I'm used to growing up in the suburbs and the horses live next door to a 5600 acre playground so I feel I would be all cramped up in a facility that just had an acre or two.

Are there some good local employment classifieds for that area? I'd prefer something with horses but I feel most of those are going to be word of mouth.

Lastly (for now, I guess) what's the sales tax down there? And how expensive is it (just a general ballpark). I tried to find answers to a few of those questions but it's really hard when you look on the Internet because Dallas is (apparently) HUGE so it really varies.

I'm terrified because I love Delaware, but insanely curious because I've never been to Texas and I feel it would be awesome.

But my horses come first, an apartment second, and the job third. So I feel I should get those squared away first.

Sorry if I'm repeating some questions (and babbling on forever) but I'm just really anxious Thanks SO much guys. You have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 02:51 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,247 times
Sales Tax in most of Dallas is 8.25. You can get apartments pretty cheap in Northeast Dallas, thought you have to be careful. My friend and her husband both work for Home Depot and they have a place off Forest Lane, I believe their one bedroom is about $500/mo perhaps a bit less.

Out of curiosity what is this new store?

I'm a fellow retail worker myself.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:32 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,188 times
My niece plays soccer at UTD a lot and the area looks nice to me. The Canyon Creek neighborhood is good - perhaps there are nice apartments in the general area. I don't think you could classify this part of Richardson or part of Collin County as rough at all but those living nearby may know of pockets with "that" reputation. I know nothing about boarding horses - sorry. I wish I could be of more help but please know that two of our good friends are originally from Deleware (one lives in Dallas and the other in Arlington) and they love it here. Good luck and welcome!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 19,184 times
Thanks! I'll look into that. It's impossible to get anything here for less than 700 or 800/month so 500 isn't sounding too bad (although we'd need another bedroom, haha).

It's Dover Saddlery, on Campbell Road I think? Not sure about the exact address.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:05 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,315 times
If you're looking for a ranch type area, you should check out the Murphy area. There are several horse farms in the area, and my rough calculation says you'd have like a 15-20 minute commute to the UTD campus.

Cost of living will be way, way cheaper. The area you're living in will be a little dull, but you should be able to drive anywhere no problem, as you're relatively close to 75, the main artery in Dallas.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDFightinBlueHens View Post
Thanks! I'll look into that. It's impossible to get anything here for less than 700 or 800/month so 500 isn't sounding too bad (although we'd need another bedroom, haha).

It's Dover Saddlery, on Campbell Road I think? Not sure about the exact address.
Do you two need a one or two bedroom? I live right up on Campbell and 190, and my one bedroom is $689, the complex is called SevenOaks.

I'm just south of 190, one you head north of it you are in Collin County and rents are usually higher.

Yahoo Real Estate and Rent.com both have a lot of listings.

It is possible to for two people to afford a moderately priced apartment in a nice area.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:46 PM

Windmill Stables is pretty close to your prospective job. I've drove by it many times, it looks like a very nice place.

Windmill Stables Home

Old 12-03-2007, 05:40 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Yep, sounds like Dover Saddlery employees to me!! Y'all come on down!

LOTS of cheap, small apartments on McCallum east of Campbell.

There are quite a few good riding places to trailer to in the NTx area. Lake Lavon is very popular for trail riding. We also have quite a few shows in this area, too.

Unfortunately, the horse boarding is going to be $$$$. (Windmill Stables is very pretty, but their BASIC package is $530 a month and they are almost always full since it is a small place.) Most suburban stables are the same thing. There are quite a few in Parker and east of Allen, too.

Your best bet, honestly, would be to find a small house on a couple of acres to rent. If you look out towards Melissa, Princeton, Lucas, etc. you should be able to find something. This will be somewhat difficult to do remotely, so you might enlist the help of a Realtor who knows that area. You might even qualify to BUY a mobile home on 2 acres...

Good luck!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:04 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
The area you're living in will be a little dull, but you should be able to drive anywhere no problem, as you're relatively close to 75, the main artery in Dallas.
I beg your pardon. I could walk to that store from my house. It's not a dull area at all. It's at Coit and Campbell.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I beg your pardon. I could walk to that store from my house. It's not a dull area at all. It's at Coit and Campbell.
I the they meant Murphy would be dull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas