Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 01:40 PM

20 posts, read 24,715 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to Uptown from Chicago about a week ago for his new job. We are wondering if anyone has suggestions about meeting people. We have a small dog and go for regular walks with him. We've been going out to restaurants, trying to talk to whoever we see. I was thinking about taking a training class with my dog but don't know where to go. Are there any classes to recommend for meeting new people? We are both in our mid 20s, not big drinkers. We are open minded and would love to make this place feel like home. Thanks for all your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 02:45 PM

142 posts, read 394,729 times
meetup.com type in whatever interest you like and join the groups you find interesting. People who go to meetup events are usually there to socialize and make friends so atleast you know you can find a friend or two or more amongst the members. Good luck

Old 03-02-2014, 10:10 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,765 times
East Lake Veterinary Clinic has training classes.

People volunteer or join groups like DRC to meet people. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2014, 11:01 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
There are a bunch of social / philanthropic groups for young professionals in the Uptown area. Check the websites for the following groups and try to attend one of their next events. You can email the membership chairs to see when open events are:
Junior Associates of the Dallas Museum of Art
Dallas Junior Chamber of Commerce
Young Friends of Ronald McDonald House
Young Texans Against Cancer
Young at Heart / American Heart Association
Lee Park - group is called Young Friends or something like that
Dallas County Young Republicans or Young Democrats

Additionally, there are many churches with HUGE young adult populations such as Fellowship, Watermark, Highland Park United Methodist, Northwest Bible, Temple Emanu-El, etc.

There are also great gyms (from boot camps in parks to brutal cross fit to fancy Equinox or Exhale), yoga studios, running groups, etc if you want to find some active friends. There are also numerous intramural leagues for kickball and other sports one doesn't have to be athletic in which to participate

Alumni watching parties are huge so if your alma matter's basketball team goes into the NCAA tournament, figure out which Dallas bar is the official game watching site and head up there to meet some fellow alumni in Dallas. Or you can just jump on the SMU band-wagon with the rest of Dallas Football watching is especially huge in the fall (obvi....) and most schools from around the country have fairly large game watching crowds. That's how I met a lot of friends from Texas when I lived in NYC.

Your girlfriend might want to look into Junior League of Dallas if she's particularly volunteer-minded. It's a big time commitment, but has rich rewards.

Big Brothers & Big Sisters is something you could both do to make an impact on two lucky young people. BBBS has a pretty active social calendar, too, amongst the big's.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:27 PM

18 posts, read 29,543 times
CHiAC,
I have some suggestions for meeting others like you in Uptown Dallas.
1. Katy Trail Run and similar events - What I might suggest is signing up for the Katy Trail Run. It is once a year, but is coming up soon on May 8. This is the single most concentrated event of Uptown professionals in one place. You will meet plenty of Uptown professionals on this.
2. Sports Sign Up - I would get involved in some of the sports leagues here in Uptown...another sports related leagues are easy non threatening ways to meet people.
3. Katy Trail in general - walk on the trail WITH your dog. You picked it up...dogs are a great connector point. Uptown is extremely dog friendly. Might also want to visit the new MUTT's dog park and eat there...great place to meet people!
4. Vino 100 - A little older of a place, but a nice place to meet couples sometimes. Sample wines and enjoy.

Let me know if that helps!

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 03-22-2014 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: Cross posting/advertising

Old 03-19-2014, 10:29 AM

20 posts, read 24,715 times
Thanks gohigher78. I've gone on several walks on Katy Trail at different times. My husband and I have gone to MUTT's a few times to have drinks too. I'm not an athlete nor am I into sports. I watch baseball but more as if it's on TV I'll put it on. My husband is a New Yorker and is a strong sports fan so he is very competitive and I'm more go with the flow and can't stand competition. He jokes that that's why I'm a Cubs fan. I'd still love to get into a group training class with my dog but it's really hard to find. I have a bunch of stuff marked on our calendar so hopefully in time it will help us meet people. We aren't Christian so we aren't going to be joining any church groups. I've tried searching for interest groups but I've come up with very little. I try and walk my dog around West Village or by Klyde Warren Park. Any other suggestions are very welcomed! It's getting lonely without a circle of friends. Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 03-21-2014, 08:46 AM

18 posts, read 29,543 times
I would sign up for WACA, the kickball league. It will satisfy the sports in your husband, but it is also less competitive, so others would enjoy it that maybe are less competitive (like me in sports!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: