U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 02:42 PM

12 posts, read 19,819 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Dallas from the mainline outside of Philadelphia. My husband has taken a position at a company in the downtown area. We have two children D10/S12. We would like to continue their co-ed private school education. Although I work fulltime in Philadelphia as an attorney I will not be working when first we move to the Dallas area. Of course, we're looking for a home in an area that is safe, filled with children, close enough to my husband's job and near the children's school. D is a great student, student counsel leader, on a travel soccer team, involved in chorus and hand chimes ensemble at school and plays guitar at School of Rock. S is also a great student, enjoys chorus and is on a premiere baseball team in our area. I'm thinking in the $500,000 price range for a home. Can anyone give me some areas to look at and private school opinions?

Also, we will be traveling to see the area- never been to Texas - so can anyone suggest things to check out to get a vibe for the area -both for adults and the kids.

Also, also, anyone want to weigh in on the things about Dallas that will most surprise/disappoint us coming form the Philly area?

thank you!

Last edited by mchg; 03-11-2014 at 03:06 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 02:49 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,188,819 times
East Dallas(Zip code 75214 & 75218) might be a good area for you all since you are also doing private schools. There a lot of families moving into the area. You should also check into Devonshire(Zip code 75209), though houses in that area are a little more pricey. Both are only about a ten minute commute to downtown Dallas. As far as coed privates, I think Greenhill would possibly be a good fit for you all.

http://www.greenhill.org/page

Old 03-11-2014, 02:52 PM

6,951 posts, read 21,869,311 times
In your price range I would look in Las Colinas. Lots of kids in the newer communities and in Hackberry Creek.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:03 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,166,183 times
The private co-ed schools you should consider, in my order of preference, are ESD, Greenhill, and Parish. In North Dallas you will be able to locate a nice home for 500k.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 39,611,440 times
School of Rock Dallas | Inspiring Kids To Rock On Stage And In Life owners live in Lakewood (75214,75206 and 75223) area and send their kids to the public schools. The school is located between Lakewood and University Park off Central Expressway near Greenville Avenue on Dyer. This area is about 10 minutes from downtown and the average home price is around $500,000 but you can find many homes for more or less.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:21 PM

Thank you for your quick responses to my post. I will look into your suggestions HockDad, Squirl and bencronin. Very nervous about the move since I've lived my whole life in the same area!

Old 03-11-2014, 03:23 PM

Yes, Lakewooder I was so happy to see an SoR in Dallas. That will make my daughter very happy as she loves the program here.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:05 PM

24,566 posts, read 38,359,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
East Dallas(Zip code 75214 & 75218) might be a good area for you all since you are also doing private schools. There a lot of families moving into the area. You should also check into Devonshire(Zip code 75209), though houses in that area are a little more pricey. Both are only about a ten minute commute to downtown Dallas. As far as coed privates, I think Greenhill would possibly be a good fit for you all.

Homepage | Greenhill School
I second this; I was going to post it myself but saw you beat me to it.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:51 PM

13,115 posts, read 26,495,475 times
If you want to keep both kids at the same school from now through 12th grade, your options are:

Episcopal School of Dallas, Greenhill, Parish - all in North Dallas and all top schools. Zip codes for your home search would be 75220, 75229, and maybe 75230 if you can find something good for $500k. All three schools are in the $20-25k/ per child / per year. All have pretty good sized graduating classes for privates (compared to Lakehill or other super tiny K-12 coed's where there are 15ish kids per class).

If you're open to Catholic schools, K-8 are coed and 9-12 are all boys and all girls (with the exception of co-ed Bishop Lynch HS in Far East Dallas). Most of the better Catholic schools are in the same general area as EDS / Parish/ Greenhill. Catholic schools are SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive than the other privates.

If you're hellbent on coed privates and are willing to step down a few notches academically to maintain coed, Trinity Christian Academy in Addison and Prestonwood Baptist in Plano would be the next best K-12 options. You could live in Plano, Far North Dallas, or anywhere else along the Tollroad. I am not sure how much these schools are but definitely less than Greenhill/ ESD / Parish.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:49 PM

88 posts, read 164,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
If you're hellbent on coed privates and are willing to step down a few notches academically to maintain coed, Trinity Christian Academy in Addison and Prestonwood Baptist in Plano would be the next best K-12 options. You could live in Plano, Far North Dallas, or anywhere else along the Tollroad. I am not sure how much these schools are but definitely less than Greenhill/ ESD / Parish.

These schools are very good value for the price they ask and you can live in Plano with Plano ISD as a fall back option, you wouldn't have option of good public schools if you lived in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas