Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 11:43 PM

14 posts, read 11,147 times

Advertisements

Guys, I have a question for all. I live in Chicago and I am a professional window cleaner and have my own business. The window cleaning market here in Chicago, the only areas that hire window cleaners are generally upper middle to upper class and then the super rich. Middle class folks generally will not hire any window cleaners to clean their houses because they can't afford it. But even so, as many window cleaning companies as there are, there is enough wealthy areas where you never seem to run out of people to call on.

My question, I am seriously wanting to move to Texas because I am really sick of the winters here in Chicago. But my fear is I don't know which city if any, is there any city that has a well established, well to do area where upper middle to upper class is? In Chicago you have Kenilworth, Winnetka, Lake Forest, Highland Park, Glencoe, and we are talking well educated and folks that have deep roots. I am thinking maybe Texas somewhere has a few nice areas but the few areas that are wealthy, we are talking maybe one or two streets, maybe 1 town. In Chicago window cleaning is a luxury for most and the upper class usually do it 2x a year.

I am thinking maybe Texas people don't really care about windows and the majority don't clean them. In Chicago the middle class never hire window cleaners generally speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 10:09 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times
There are multiple nice areas in Dallas that would hire window cleaning services. Highland Park, University Park, Preston Hollow, Bluffivew, Greenway Parks, parts of Lakewood. All of these areas are within about 10-20 minutes of each other, all just north and northeast of downtown Dallas. It seems to me that most people that would pay to have Christmas lights installed is the same group that would pay for a window washing service. I'm not sure how hard or saturated the window washing market in Dallas is though. My dad used to have a friend that owned a service and he seemed to do fairly decent. Hopefully someone with more experience can give you some more input. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2014, 03:43 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkim1 View Post
Guys, I have a question for all. I live in Chicago and I am a professional window cleaner and have my own business. The window cleaning market here in Chicago, the only areas that hire window cleaners are generally upper middle to upper class and then the super rich. Middle class folks generally will not hire any window cleaners to clean their houses because they can't afford it. But even so, as many window cleaning companies as there are, there is enough wealthy areas where you never seem to run out of people to call on.

My question, I am seriously wanting to move to Texas because I am really sick of the winters here in Chicago. But my fear is I don't know which city if any, is there any city that has a well established, well to do area where upper middle to upper class is? In Chicago you have Kenilworth, Winnetka, Lake Forest, Highland Park, Glencoe, and we are talking well educated and folks that have deep roots. I am thinking maybe Texas somewhere has a few nice areas but the few areas that are wealthy, we are talking maybe one or two streets, maybe 1 town. In Chicago window cleaning is a luxury for most and the upper class usually do it 2x a year.

I am thinking maybe Texas people don't really care about windows and the majority don't clean them. In Chicago the middle class never hire window cleaners generally speaking.
This post is so totally offensive that I can't imagine you'd fit in here.

We have more than one or two streets that are wealthy. And even the middle class people clean their windows if they have to do it them selves.

That said, I live in a middle class neighborhood and the vast majority of my neighbors do hire someone because we all have two story windows. If you do move down here, please list your business so I can send out an email to my 600 neighbors to avoid your condescending ways.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:35 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Texas has just shy of 500,000 homes with $1,000,000 in assets not including home equity or IRA/401K accounts. Somewhere around 155,000 of those millionaires live in DFW. DFW has more exceptionally rich people than Chicago as well.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:58 PM

OK Guys, I am sorry if I offended anybody here. I do sincerely thank all of you for your input and now you got me convinced Texas could be a great state. I was leaning towards LA California and I know there is so many people with so much wealth, Chicago is like ghetto compared to LA folks. In LA you got Calabasas, Hidden Hills, you got Malibu, Brentwood, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, the list goes on and on and on. But also heard during the recession many window cleaning companies went belly up. It's hard for me to believe those huge homes in Malibu would also go bankrupt. I do have friends who tell me not to come to LA because a lot of folks are underwater with mortgage, even rich folks. hmmm...still hard to believe that. And please take no offense to this guys but someone also told me since I am from Illinois, people in Texas will not like me and they hate all northerners. Also, me being Korean/American I will be treated like I am from an alien planet...lol...not sure how the southerners would see a yellow guy and maybe they would not do business just because I am not wearing cowboy boots and a cowboy hat. My friend went to Texas for his training for federal officer and said the one thing about Texas, unless you wear cowboy hats and boots you will stick out like a sore thumb.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
OK Guys, I am sorry if I offended anybody here. I do sincerely thank all of you for your input and now you got me convinced Texas could be a great state. I was leaning towards LA California and I know there is so many people with so much wealth, Chicago is like ghetto compared to LA folks. In LA you got Calabasas, Hidden Hills, you got Malibu, Brentwood, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, the list goes on and on and on. But also heard during the recession many window cleaning companies went belly up. It's hard for me to believe those huge homes in Malibu would also go bankrupt. I do have friends who tell me not to come to LA because a lot of folks are underwater with mortgage, even rich folks. hmmm...still hard to believe that. And please take no offense to this guys but someone also told me since I am from Illinois, people in Texas will not like me and they hate all northerners. Also, me being Korean/American I will be treated like I am from an alien planet...lol...not sure how the southerners would see a yellow guy and maybe they would not do business just because I am not wearing cowboy boots and a cowboy hat. My friend went to Texas for his training for federal officer and said the one thing about Texas, unless you wear cowboy hats and boots you will stick out like a sore thumb.
You are so sorely misinformed it's ridiculous. It might be best that you not move to Texas with your preconceived notions. I rarely see cowboy hats, and sometimes see cowboy boots. I heard that Chicago has a ton of murders, so I refuse to move there as well because I know if I walk out on the street I may get shot in a drive by shooting! HAHAHA. We also all ride horses to work and school, so you better get some lessons.....LOL. Bless your heart.

But to try and rid you of those outrageous speculations you have of this great state and city(both of which have increased in population over the last decade WAY more than Chicago for some reason or another)......there are a ton of transplants here. It's hard to find someone originally from DFW. There is also a very large Asian population. People going belly up in California is not out of the question either. A lot of those people live at there top means and use credit. Large companies making cuts, businesses going under, etc. etc. can cause many families to go under.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:45 AM

Default thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
You are so sorely misinformed it's ridiculous. It might be best that you not move to Texas with your preconceived notions. I rarely see cowboy hats, and sometimes see cowboy boots. I heard that Chicago has a ton of murders, so I refuse to move there as well because I know if I walk out on the street I may get shot in a drive by shooting! HAHAHA. We also all ride horses to work and school, so you better get some lessons.....LOL. Bless your heart.

But to try and rid you of those outrageous speculations you have of this great state and city(both of which have increased in population over the last decade WAY more than Chicago for some reason or another)......there are a ton of transplants here. It's hard to find someone originally from DFW. There is also a very large Asian population. People going belly up in California is not out of the question either. A lot of those people live at there top means and use credit. Large companies making cuts, businesses going under, etc. etc. can cause many families to go under.
Hey Ben,

I thank you for being patient with me. I know I have said things here that could be considered offensive but I just hear so many stories from others, it's hard to know what is true and what is not. You mentioned Chicago having a ton of murders. The media really distorts the truth and the majority of murders occur in the inner city. Chicago parts like downtown, north side of Chicago, and all its suburbs are pretty much no murders. Robberies yes lots of them, especially if you have a cash business the gangs will eventually target you. But yes we do hear about nice parts of the cities like Lincoln Park, people getting robbed and gunned down for no good reason. Now for your comments regarding LA, my friend who lives there said yes lot of people are under water in their mortgages and desperate to move to a different state like Texas that has less taxes and better industries. Also heard LA lots of businesses are moving out because of the taxes. this only means higher taxes for those that already live there. I think for window cleaning, California I still have to say will give me the best opportunities. I love Chicago but right now, but I am tired of the winters. I had enough, this was the worse one we had ever and not about to go through another one like we had. yes the people here are pretty sophisticated, smart, witty, intelligent, all that and we got lots of stable communities. I will definitely now consider Texas and hope I can possibly consider that for relocation.

I think what my plan is, I will first try LA California and if that proves to be a not a good place to open up shop, then I will go to Texas.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Hey Ben,

I thank you for being patient with me. I know I have said things here that could be considered offensive but I just hear so many stories from others, it's hard to know what is true and what is not. You mentioned Chicago having a ton of murders. The media really distorts the truth and the majority of murders occur in the inner city. Chicago parts like downtown, north side of Chicago, and all its suburbs are pretty much no murders. Robberies yes lots of them, especially if you have a cash business the gangs will eventually target you. But yes we do hear about nice parts of the cities like Lincoln Park, people getting robbed and gunned down for no good reason.
^ALL of that^ is the same way you got your info on Texas about us hating northerners, wearing cowboys hats and boot all the time etc. It's the exact same thing, except ours is more played up in movies and tv shows(Dallas Buyer Club, Dallas, etc.) We are not like that at all. Like I said, I can't remember the last time I saw a Cowboy hat. I see probably 1000 Asian's per 1 Cowboy hat in Dallas.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:31 PM

Hey Ben, thanks for the info. I will definitely keep Texas in mind. In Chicago I recently applied for a CCW(Conceal Carry Weapons) permit and Tom Dart basically is objecting to anybody who lives in Cook County. I am sick of all the liberals who constantly try to deny our gun rights and this is another reason I am looking to leave Illinois. I have never got arrested for anything, don't have any convictions, no DUI's, no drugs, no domestic, nothing yet some law enforcement agency objected to my application and maintains I am a clear and present danger. The irony here is I have a valid FOID card and legally able to own and posses firearms. This just doesn't make any sense to me they would try to deny me a CCW license. I also know others that got denied simply for having an arrest on their record, I thought the way the law works you can only be denied if you have a conviction. Anyway Texas I hear only go by records. I will definitely be willing to wear a cowboy hat and some boots.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:10 AM

If you're a big gun advocate, you're really not going to like L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas