Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 09:58 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,443,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
That's honestly going to be impossible on that budget and close to UTSW. You either need to add on a zero to the budget, or consider further out suburbs.

And there, in a nutshell explains why people take up crazy commutes...lack of viable options. If one works in Dallas (especially downtown), then your options become either very expensive (Park Cities, Lakewood), or very dicey (sketchy parts of Dallas, DISD). Moving out to the suburbs eliminates those two obstacles for the average Joe. Of course, Joe then gets to deal with the crappy commute. But life is about trade offs, and many of us Joes make that decision and deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 10:10 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
And there, in a nutshell explains why people take up crazy commutes...lack of viable options. If one works in Dallas (especially downtown), then your options become either very expensive (Park Cities, Lakewood), or very dicey (sketchy parts of Dallas, DISD). Moving out to the suburbs eliminates those two obstacles for the average Joe. Of course, Joe then gets to deal with the crappy commute. But life is about trade offs, and many of us Joes make that decision and deal with it.
Richardson is a sweet spot if you work downtown but don't want to deal with Dallas prices or schools. Downtown Dallas isn't too horrid of a commute down 75 if you leave early, and there's always the DART rail with a park and ride station on Spring Valley.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:55 AM

311 posts, read 450,884 times
Quote:
Agreed. Anything <10-15 minutes to downtown is an excellent commute, either by walking, subway, or car (plus parking and walking which can be an additional 5 minutes). There is hardly any place close to downtown that even meets the criteria of good public schools within a real estate price range that is comparable to anything 30+ minutes out (eg: $100/sq ft.)

Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Richardson is a sweet spot if you work downtown but don't want to deal with Dallas prices or schools. Downtown Dallas isn't too horrid of a commute down 75 if you leave early, and there's always the DART rail with a park and ride station on Spring Valley.

I was including Richardson in the suburbs...although to be honest, Richardson is one of those "quietly expensive" suburbs. It doesnt get the hype and buzz of Frisco/Plano/Allen, but try finding a 3000 square ft plus home for under $200K that doesnt require extensive remodeling/upgrades/repairs...not easy to find in Richardson these days.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:03 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,396 times
I didn't know 3000 square feet under 200k existed anywhere remotely desirable.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
I didn't know 3000 square feet under 200k existed anywhere remotely desirable.

I think you could still get that here in Wylie for now...whether that is 'desirable' to you maybe a different matter. But even here, I'm seeing a bunch of new developments in my area, all starting at $300K which of course means that you will have to spend at least $350K and I'm thinking "really??? people are willing to spend close to $400K to live in WYLIE??? but then a buddy of mine who lives in Frisco says you will struggle to find anything starting at under $500K in his neck of the woods, so I guess that is the new reality in the DFW...in about 30 years or so we will no longer be a low COD area.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
If you live in DISD and you are not in the attendance zone of a good school, there is a good possibility of transferring. It's done all the time for curriculum, hardship and other reasons. Many of the high schools have been redesigned into academies and if the one where you are zoned doesn't have the one you want, you can apply to transfer. There are also magnets and my alma mater offers IB - about half enrolled are transfers.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
I was including Richardson in the suburbs...although to be honest, Richardson is one of those "quietly expensive" suburbs. It doesnt get the hype and buzz of Frisco/Plano/Allen, but try finding a 3000 square ft plus home for under $200K that doesnt require extensive remodeling/upgrades/repairs...not easy to find in Richardson these days.
There are almost no houses that large in my neighborhood anyway. There are some in Heights Park Estates, but bear in mind that back in those days they didn't build all houses that large. 3,000 sq ft is about triple what the average house was in the 1950s.

And yes, it's not dirt cheap to buy real estate here but it's certainly more reasonable than some areas of Dallas. Better schools too.

People are figuring that out, which is why our average list AND sold price per square foot has shot up over the last few years.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:53 PM

167 posts, read 334,927 times
I have a co-worker who commutes from Allen to South Fort Worth 5 days a week. He has done this for several years and it doesn't seem to bother him.

I couldn't do it...

Old 04-04-2014, 02:53 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Exactly. It's usually if people want a "nicer" house for a better cost, a newer house or more land that they move out to the likes of Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Prosper, etc. and have to commute far distances to their office. Heck I did it for a few years, but won't again.

Prosper,Mc Kinney and Frisco are horrible ideas if you work in Downtown Dallas...the commute in my opinion would be a nightmare.Many people that live in these areas do not work downtown or in Dallas.Richardson,Lewisville,Denton,Frisco,Plano,M c Kinney ect. are/becoming major work areas.

I can enjoy my 10 minute ride to work in Prosper and hop on the tollway when and if I need to go to Dallas or the airport.DFW is a beast...traffic is bad,but since so many people actually work in places other than Dallas,it really opens up the suburbs for living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas