Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 03:37 PM

28,574 posts, read 18,586,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
Post Tension Institute has developed strict guidelines and post tension slabs are very successful for resisting the shear and moments developed by expansive soils.
Yet, I'm told that such slabs must be conscienciously watered to maintain soil moisture consistency year 'round in this area, even for the newest homes. Do you have to water your slabs in Vegas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 03:45 PM

504 posts, read 796,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yet, I'm told that such slabs must be conscienciously watered to maintain soil moisture consistency year 'round in this area, even for the newest homes. Do you have to water your slabs in Vegas?
No we didn't. Although the soil moisture content is very important but watering it year around is a little bit of a myth, in my opinion. We saturated the pad above optimum moisture content before the slab was placed to take all the swell out of clay and then used plastic barrier around it. (Actually that's how NTTA builds their roads here, not TxDOT though). I won't bore you with details since this is not an engineering forum.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
No we didn't. Although the soil moisture content is very important but watering it year around is a little bit of a myth, in my opinion. We saturated the pad above optimum moisture content before the slab was placed to take all the swell out of clay and then used plastic barrier around it. (Actually that's how NTTA builds their roads here, not TxDOT though). I won't bore you with details since this is not an engineering forum.
I didn't mean it has to be watered 'year round, but it has to be watered during the dry months to keep the moisture level around the exterior of the pad content consistent year 'round. It's not a myth here.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I didn't mean it has to be watered 'year round, but it has to be watered during the dry months to keep the moisture level around the exterior of the pad content consistent year 'round. It's not a myth here.
I'm not here to argue with you. You can certainly believe what you want to. I have my background to back things up. Just for a thought, Vegas is desert southwest. Much much much drier than Dallas, no one is going around watering their foundations. They want you to conserve water so much that they will pay you to remove your grass and irrigation and have desert landscaping instead.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:07 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,556,071 times
Quote:
I'm not here to argue with you. You can certainly believe what you want to. I have my background to back things up. Just for a thought, Vegas is desert southwest. Much much much drier than Dallas, no one is going around watering their foundations. They want you to conserve water so much that they will pay you to remove your grass and irrigation and have desert landscaping instead.
I thought it was the soil type that makes foundation watering needed not the amount or lack of yearly precip. Not sure but I don't think Vegas has the same clay soil.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
I thought it was the soil type that makes foundation watering needed not the amount or lack of yearly precip. Not sure but I don't think Vegas has the same clay soil.
Its not the same but similar, expansive fat clay (especially in North Las Vegas) with very high plasticity index. Vegas also has rock hard caliche just like Dallas has Eagle Ford Shale. The biggest argument for watering is made by people for loss of moisture (just read 2 or 3 posts above),

Old 03-31-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Its not the same but similar, expansive fat clay (especially in North Las Vegas) with very high plasticity index. Vegas also has rock hard caliche just like Dallas has Eagle Ford Shale. The biggest argument for watering is made by people for loss of moisture (just read 2 or 3 posts above),
I'm originally from SW Oklahoma were we also have slab foundations on a clay soil, but I'd never heard of watering a foundation until I came to Dallas. But it's not me saying it, and it's not myth.

Do a Google of for foundation watering in Dallas. If you can pose a valid debate with those others that have much more training, education,and experience in this area than my little bit of reading, please do--you will allay my fears substantially and make me very much happier to be here.

I did not say "loss of moisture," btw, I said "consistent" moisture.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:31 PM

454 posts, read 758,723 times
I would never consider a newer home better than an older home. IMHO, the older the better. It's bound to be made with better materials and more craftsmanship. You may have to knock a wall down and put in some updates, but older homes always seem to have more character, maybe some stonework, cool woodwork.

Well, if you're talking about the typical north Dallas frame house covered in brick with no basement, then being older may not be better, as they aren't quality homes to begin with.

The homes in highland park are very old, some probably close to 100 years, yet they are still beautiful.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:41 AM

263 posts, read 408,406 times
I am not a technical person, but my sense from being in the area for the last year plus is that P&B is considered the preferred foundation due to soil movement issues, especially in the Las Colinas area. In the HOA I have been looking at, the homes range from P&B, slab, post-tension slab, etc.

Am I wrong in thinking P&B is the preferred foundation in this area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
That's an interesting question. I think homes do tend to have similar foundations in the same neighborhoods and usually market comps are all about similar homes in the same area. So, I don't know if there is any real good answer to how much more value a p&B house gets in terms of selling price. I live in a neighborhood that was developed in the late 70's, with many homes build in the 80's. But there are still some empty lots and we have homes here that are still being built. Some of the new houses are on "engineered slabs" and most of the older houses are on p&b. Some of the new houses are also on p&b since these are custom houses and don't have a volume builder putting up several at a time.

But, the newer houses on "engineered slabs" do tend to sell more per squre foot than the older houses.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:05 PM

15,454 posts, read 10,373,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
How far back can you safely go on houses in terms of age to safely reap the benefits of energy efficiency items/insulation? Also, what concerns would there be in purchasing (if any) a home over 10 years. There are some very nice homes in the hot spots right now. We were thinking 5 years is a safe bet. Thoughts.

For resale value, there are some beautiful homes even 15 years old...wouldn't that hinder us if we sell in 10 years and that home is 25 years? Versus purchasing something more recent 0-5 years, old and selling a 10-15 year old home?

We purchased our first home and it was only 5 years old, but of course at about the 10 year mark, things start to "go".

When did things really start booming here in Collin county with regards to the builders building these "trak" homes..
I don't understand throwing away a house because it's ten years old. If folks don't want to maintain their property, perhaps it's better to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas