Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:43 PM

140 posts, read 154,803 times

Advertisements

Hi all ... so looks like the relocation process is moving along with my company and if all goes well i should be moving by sept/oct. My question is regarding Pre-K...

Currently in NY the cut off for Pre K is Dec 31st of the year the child turns 4... so my son who will be turning 4 in mid Oct will start pre-K (in NY) in Sept of 2014. I was reading online and from what i found it sounds like the cut off in Dallas/Texas is Sept 1st of they year the child turns 4. If that is correct my son will not be able to attend Pre K in Dallas in Sept 2014 or for that matter till Sept 2015. does anyone have anymore info on this?

Is this correct? (Can someone confirm or inform)
What are other options except public Pre-k?

(if there is a way that he can attend pre-k in 2014, is anyone familiar with the transfer/enrollment process mid year?)

Thanks
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Public Pre-K is not common in the DFW area. In most school districts, the only ways one qualifies for public PreK is by being 1)low income, 2) special needs education, or 3) ESL.

Assuming you don't meet that criteria, most people do daycare, for-profit preschools, or church-run preschools until public kindergarten. For example, our church has a Pre-school that starts at 18 months or 2 years (can't remember). At that age, they go once or twice a week for a few hours. 3 year olds go 3 days a week. 4 year olds are either in preschool or preK classes, depending on whether they meet the age cut off for Kindergarten the following year.

So..long answer to your question is that your 3 year old would be in preschool for 2014-2015, preK for 2015-2016, and enter Kindergarten in Fall 2016 when he is 5 going on 6. He will probably be middle of the road, age- wise, for his grade as many parents hold boys back a year.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:18 PM

792 posts, read 1,221,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Public Pre-K is not common in the DFW area. In most school districts, the only ways one qualifies for public PreK is by being 1)low income, 2) special needs education, or 3) ESL.

Assuming you don't meet that criteria, most people do daycare, for-profit preschools, or church-run preschools until public kindergarten. For example, our church has a Pre-school that starts at 18 months or 2 years (can't remember). At that age, they go once or twice a week for a few hours. 3 year olds go 3 days a week. 4 year olds are either in preschool or preK classes, depending on whether they meet the age cut off for Kindergarten the following year.

So..long answer to your question is that your 3 year old would be in preschool for 2014-2015, preK for 2015-2016, and enter Kindergarten in Fall 2016 when he is 5 going on 6. He will probably be middle of the road, age- wise, for his grade as many parents hold boys back a year.
I agree with everything in this post and would add that the preschool program at our public school (Bradfield elementary in HPISD) is a mixed special needs/non special needs program that has a few Pk3 and PK4 spaces that are available to non special needs students. I'm pretty sure there is a long wait list, though. Don't know how common this model is...good luck.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:56 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,423 times
Plano ISD offers early childhood programs under three different criteria:
1. Tuition-supported community pre kindergarten
2. State and federal programs
3. Preschool program for children with disabilities

Early Childhood Programs : Plano ISD

Old 03-25-2014, 09:53 PM

138 posts, read 216,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

This more or less applies to the state as a whole. A good percentage of a certain political party in Texas does not support pre-k and would like to get rid of it entirely, but thankfully they don't have the support to entirely get rid off it. Some in that same party wish for kindergarten to go away as well, but thankfully that stands no chance of ever passing either.

I wish more school districts do what Plano does, but sadly that is far from the norm.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:43 AM

140 posts, read 154,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
This more or less applies to the state as a whole. A good percentage of a certain political party in Texas does not support pre-k and would like to get rid of it entirely, but thankfully they don't have the support to entirely get rid off it. Some in that same party wish for kindergarten to go away as well, but thankfully that stands no chance of ever passing either.

I wish more school districts do what Plano does, but sadly that is far from the norm.

and what does Plano do?

Old 03-26-2014, 11:51 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soda7o View Post
and what does Plano do?
I gave an over view and link above to PISD's preschool programs:
1. Tuition-Supported Community Prekindergarten

Children who are four years old on or before September 1st and who do not qualify for either the Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities or Prekindergarten (described below) are eligible to enroll in the Tuition-Supported Prekindergarten Program at Isaacs, Beaty, or Pearson Early Childhood Schools. Students attend five days a week and tuition is collected in 9 monthly installments. There is an additional non-refundable registration fee of $100 per child.

A packet of information describing this program and the registration procedure can be picked up at any Plano ISD early childhood school, the Plano ISD Administration Building at 2700 West 15th Street, and at the Plano ISD Shiloh Center, Multilingual Assessment Office, at 3540 East 14th Street.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:05 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Most every basic preschool or daycare also has a Pre-K program. You just need to look at the different schools and see if they are play based or curriculum based programs. I categorize play based as a daycare, and curriculum based as a preschool.

We did Primrose with my daughter and also did their Kinder program as they teach to the 2nd grade level and that helped give her a head start. My son is currently 3, and will go into the Pre-K program at 3 1/2, and will also follow into the Kinder program at Primrose at 4 1/2 before going to public school because of his November bday.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:17 PM

792 posts, read 1,221,365 times
We moved to dallas with a preK student mid-year last year, so I hope this answer is helpful even though it goes a bit beyond your original question...and, if not, please forgive me for offering unsolicited advice.

Since you want your 3 year old to enroll in preschool or daycare in the fall of 2014, I recommend you start contacting preschools and daycares in your target area as soon as possible. Many have already filled their classes for next year, but you may find something and even if you don't find an option immediately you can get on a wait list. We lucked into finding a prek opening near our home long after the application process was complete and even though there were wait lists for other ages.

Do you know what area of town you will live in? There are several threads on preschools and daycares in different areas of the metroplex that could help.

I know your initial question was about public prek for your son, but that is not likely an option because of his age. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:59 PM

20 posts, read 28,502 times
What is the criterion for cut off dates? Why a kid is eligible for admission because he was born at 11.30 PM on first September but his twin who was born at 12.08 AM is too young for such responsibility since he is 38 minute too late?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas