Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 10:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,340 times

Advertisements

In reading reviews dated a year or so ago, it seems they are mixed regarding Parish. The reviews make it seem like it should be on par with $11k a year schools, while the tuition comes in at double. Are you really getting your money's worth? Is it really true that to get into honors/AP, you need to be a donor? If you had the option of being in a gifted and talented program at a highly ranked public school (eg Plano) or Parish, which would you select?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 06:38 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planomomof2 View Post
In reading reviews dated a year or so ago, it seems they are mixed regarding Parish. The reviews make it seem like it should be on par with $11k a year schools, while the tuition comes in at double. Are you really getting your money's worth? Is it really true that to get into honors/AP, you need to be a donor? If you had the option of being in a gifted and talented program at a highly ranked public school (eg Plano) or Parish, which would you select?

I'm not a Parish parent but both of my kids are/were in local private schools throughout.

A couple of families on my street are one both are quite happy with the school.

The Honors/AP buy in thing does not pass the smell test. Parish is accredited by the ISAS, and other agencies, ISAS would suspend Parish immediately if the school was caught selling AP/Honors slots.

If I were shopping for a local private school for my kids Parish would get my strong consideration.

If a kid is really gifted Plano schools can be an excellent choice. All of the local privates have extensive experience with gifted/very bright/engaged kids. My bias is toward private schools, however, all things being equal I'd likely go private.

In closing, having been around/payed for a number of local private schools over the years I'd disregard most everything negative you hear from people you don't actually know and trust.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:56 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,549 times
I am a Parish faculty member as well as a parent of 3 Parish students.

I have NO idea where in the world you heard that there is any connection between donating and honors/AP enrollment, but I can tell you that it is 100% false. That is ludicrous. Placement is based on achievement (grades in previous courses) and teacher recommendation. Departments meet every spring to discuss recommendations. Money has nothing to do with it.

I am very proud of Parish, and sacrifice financially to have my children there. It's an excellent school.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,340 times
Thank you for the feedback. The honors thing didn't sound right to me either, which is why you can't believe everything you read.

Private school tuition is a financial sacrifice, but believe it could be worth it in the end.

Another bit I heard is that there was quite a few MS students who decided not to continue there for HS. And not just going to another private school but switching to public school. Any truth to that? If so, why do you think?

Old 03-27-2014, 11:17 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. The honors thing didn't sound right to me either, which is why you can't believe everything you read.

Private school tuition is a financial sacrifice, but believe it could be worth it in the end.

Another bit I heard is that there was quite a few MS students who decided not to continue there for HS. And not just going to another private school but switching to public school. Any truth to that? If so, why do you think?
I'll chime in again. After both my son's and daughter's 8th grade years, catholic school in Plano, a number of kids went to publics. Some people couldn't deal with the financial strain. Several really bright kids slid right into the top echelons ultimately at Plano West. Some, and it's just the truth, didn't win admission into their choice(s) of private high schools.

I'd read precisely nothing into kids leaving after middle school.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:18 AM

447 posts, read 1,849,549 times
Quote:

"Quite a few" is relative, I guess. I can tell you that we are at capacity for next year's freshman class. The vast majority of our students in 8th grade return. My son is in this year's 8th grade class, and while most (I don't know the exact percentage and don't want to give misleading numbers by guessing) are returning, I do know of a few who are not. One is a good friend of his who is leaving because he was accepted at Booker T. Washington - clearly that is a decision based on his specialized talent, pursuing acting. Another girl was accepted to Hockaday, and I understand there is a family connection (ie many members of her family went and it's tradition).

My impression is that the small minority who leave do so because there are specific reasons for desiring another school, not a dissatisfaction with Parish. Hope that helps!

Old 03-28-2014, 07:04 AM

20 posts, read 28,502 times
We are friends with a Parish family who is moving their daughter to Hockaday, they said that after middle years a good number of bright students move to elite privates or join public schools, specially ones who live near top public schools like HPSH and PWSH.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:13 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,405,781 times
How many other schools, private or public, have an I.M. Pei designed high school facility?

Old 03-29-2014, 05:54 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
How many other schools, private or public, have an I.M. Pei designed high school facility?
How many other schools, private or public, have a $60M football stadium like Allen ISD?

Same relevance to education, no?

Old 03-29-2014, 07:59 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,405,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
How many other schools, private or public, have a $60M football stadium like Allen ISD?

Same relevance to education, no?
Who said it was relevant? What is relevant is private donations provided it to the private school not tax money as is typically the case with public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: