Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 05:31 PM

15 posts, read 24,381 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Myself and my husband are looking to semi retire to a warmer climate. After many hours trying to research all of these areas I believe I am more confused now than when I started.

We have 3 children, 2 of which will still be in school so school district is important! we would be looking into a new/newer build home. We want to be close to activities for the kids (12 & 14) but want to be close to restaurants/entertainment for us as well. Any advice is welcome and appreciated! TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 06:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colette5170 View Post
Hello all!

Myself and my husband are looking to semi retire to a warmer climate. After many hours trying to research all of these areas I believe I am more confused now than when I started.

We have 3 children, 2 of which will still be in school so school district is important! we would be looking into a new/newer build home. We want to be close to activities for the kids (12 & 14) but want to be close to restaurants/entertainment for us as well. Any advice is welcome and appreciated! TIA
Where is your job located and what is your budget?

If you want a new build, probably best to forget Plano.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:46 PM

20 posts, read 28,494 times
Plano New Home Communities - Plano, TX New Home Builders - realtor.com®

Some custome builders are building in Normandy Estates but those homes start at million and up.

We've decided to look at pre existing homes, that opened up a whole new world of great options. Don't limit yourself to brand new houses.

Last edited by VillageData; 03-27-2014 at 08:55 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 06:35 AM

Our budget would be somewhere around 400k-500k. Hoping for 3000 sq ft 4br 31/2 bath with a pool. If not a brand new house a few years old is just as good. For the most part we would be retired but want to be close to all with good schools.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:50 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,612 times
Def in your budget...most homes that I have seen push close to 4000 square feet. You hot a lot of room to work with!

Old 03-28-2014, 07:18 AM

I most definitely do not want a 4000 sq ft home, I'm im a 3200 sf home now and I have rooms I don't use. Way too big for us. Any advice on towns/neighborhoods?

Old 03-28-2014, 08:17 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Colette, if you search these forums on similar subjects, you will find those that will promote Plano as the ONLY option because of the perceived reputation of the schools. Are the Plano schools better? For some, yes, they do make some higher grades on lists that rank these things and those lists get toted out and then some here will make aspersions on anyone NOT living in Plano as if they are guilty of child abuse.

Hyperbole? Yes, to some extent, but not nearly so far fetched if you go back and read some of the comments.

In reality? These four cities are like four siblings that all made a name for the family. McKinney is the eldest (original county seat, the only town of size before post war suburban growth headed north out of Dallas), Plano is like the one that hit the big time first, Allen is like the next one that wants to emulate the successful one and Frisco is the baby that has come into its wealth more recently and has some new flash but not as much history. They have differences when you compare one to the other, but from the outside looking in, they are really one big family that you would have trouble differentiating who is who.

I suggest you come in for a weekend and drive through the areas and get a feel. All have good schools. All have good housing and retail options. One is not the step child nor is another the golden child no matter what some will say.

Me? I prefer McKinney because of the historic square and housing in the original center that makes it not feel as cookie cutter as the other three. I also think that Stonebridge Ranch on the western side of the city is the best developed of all of the mega-master planned communities in the entire area. The lay of the land in the McKinney area with more changes in elevation (McKinney doesn't feel as flat as the others) and with more tree cover give it a nicer feel.

But that is my opinion. And my opinion, like others will defend the area where I choose to live. All in all, you really can't go wrong with any of the four. Just go with the one that you like best and is nearest to the things you need to be near.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:17 AM

7 posts, read 8,553 times
For new builds Allen or Frisco would be good and both of these town are known for their schools. Mckinney and Plano are already built out for the most part. Although I'm finding you can get more square footage with a slightly older home in Plano. McKinney has some new builds in a community with lots of amenities (dog park, walking trails, etc) in Tucker Hill.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:26 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldfw View Post
For new builds Allen or Frisco would be good and both of these town are known for their schools. Mckinney and Plano are already built out for the most part. Although I'm finding you can get more square footage with a slightly older home in Plano. McKinney has some new builds in a community with lots of amenities (dog park, walking trails, etc) in Tucker Hill.
McKinney is far from being built out. McKinney has more land in its ETJ than it has developed. Most of it is primarily north of 380 and that northern expansion has slowed somewhat since the most recent economic downturn, but it will ramp back up some day. It would be more accurate to saw that Allen is closer to build out since it is in essence land locked.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:40 AM

20 posts, read 28,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Colette, if you search these forums on similar subjects, you will find those that will promote Plano as the ONLY option because of the perceived reputation of the schools. Are the Plano schools better? For some, yes, they do make some higher grades on lists that rank these things and those lists get toted out and then some here will make aspersions on anyone NOT living in Plano as if they are guilty of child abuse.

Hyperbole? Yes, to some extent, but not nearly so far fetched if you go back and read some of the comments.

In reality? These four cities are like four siblings that all made a name for the family. McKinney is the eldest (original county seat, the only town of size before post war suburban growth headed north out of Dallas), Plano is like the one that hit the big time first, Allen is like the next one that wants to emulate the successful one and Frisco is the baby that has come into its wealth more recently and has some new flash but not as much history. They have differences when you compare one to the other, but from the outside looking in, they are really one big family that you would have trouble differentiating who is who.

I suggest you come in for a weekend and drive through the areas and get a feel. All have good schools. All have good housing and retail options. One is not the step child nor is another the golden child no matter what some will say.

Me? I prefer McKinney because of the historic square and housing in the original center that makes it not feel as cookie cutter as the other three. I also think that Stonebridge Ranch on the western side of the city is the best developed of all of the mega-master planned communities in the entire area. The lay of the land in the McKinney area with more changes in elevation (McKinney doesn't feel as flat as the others) and with more tree cover give it a nicer feel.

But that is my opinion. And my opinion, like others will defend the area where I choose to live. All in all, you really can't go wrong with any of the four. Just go with the one that you like best and is nearest to the things you need to be near.

Lol. People recommend Plano for its location, convenience, resale/rental prospects and schools. Even if Mckinney had better schools, it wouldn't work for people like me who want to stay close to everything including city and airports. I do like your old area but I would rather pick Lakewood for charm, schools are comparable and location is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas