Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:30 PM

7,888 posts, read 11,400,197 times

Advertisements

OP's trend did not match what we did. I remodeled my Houston home (3600sf) and sold it quickly as a result. I bought a bigger home (5200sf) in W. Plano to accommodate mother in law living with us and the possibility my mom as well sometime in the future. Second bedroom down separated from the MBR was a requirement as was living space dedicated for all 3 adults living here for sanity.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 04-06-2014 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 06:03 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Just described my parents perfectly, in McKinney. Went from 3200sq ft to 4900sq ft, for grand kids and to host family.
Can't imagine having to clean that monster! Cleaning our 2600 sq ft house on a weekly basis is a pain.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:44 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,086,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Can't imagine having to clean that monster! Cleaning our 2600 sq ft house on a weekly basis is a pain.
It's not too bad really. They mainly live downstairs. The kitchen, family room, dining room, master, and one guest room are downstairs. Upstairs my mother uses one room as her home office/exercise room. The other two guest bedrooms are always closed, and then they have the gameroom and media room which they use sparingly, so most of the upstairs is always pretty clean.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:21 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
we bought a larger home about 6 yrs ago -- and moved from Bedford to Hurst--
we had specific list with some things that might see totally weird (like driveway turning right to left which I consider essential for accessing your garage) and some items for aging in place--like a roll-in shower and two downstairs bedrooms and baths -- which because of lot sizes can be difficult to find -- wanted two LA down and didn't get that--wanted lot with privacy in backyard which we did get...
and I have lovely lady who cleans for me -- the downstairs where we live daily for the most part--
something my husband promised when we moved--too much tile flooring to mop--

considered Southlake, Colleyville, Keller--waited almost a year for neighborhood in N Keller to be developed to get one special lot and had the builder renig on the deal/price (no contract) so back to looking...

we wanted something to host family and grandkids--but that hasn't really happened yet--our daughter/SIL/and their toddler son live in FL and they don't visit over holidays now with the baby--maybe after he is older and she can stop teaching we might see them in TX more...
our married son in Denton won't have kids any time soon
our friends who visit from out of town are either allergic to cats (we have one) or have kids of their own they stay with...
so we haven't been swamped with visitors but the times we had them, we had room...
I don't regret the house--but the HOA is becoming more of a hassle--

we have also bought a house in FL--right next door to our daughter--
got a good price right before the market here picked up and the house had some expensive upgrades/remodeling done--even if not all were our exact tastes--that we couldn't pass it up.
Smaller, older, but open living area with manageable pool--
we have good service people for yard work and pool maintenance and this HOA has had good oversight and worked very hard to keep problems from foreclosed properties and rentals which are allowed from dragging down the neighborhood...

we are very lucky we can afford to maintain two homes and travel to use them...
I think if my husband had his choice--he would sell the TX house and buy something smaller but we still need a yard because we have dog that likes to play so a condo downtown isn't something that would work for us...

There are couple of neighborhoods in Colleyville with townhomes or zero lot homes--upscale, larger than normal that sold quickly and I think mainly to empty nesters or just no children couples...
Both that I know of are right off Hwy 26--

Old 04-07-2014, 05:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
It seems you are doing well - glad for you, loves2read!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: