Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 11:22 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,695 times

Advertisements

Yes, 423 is horrible. You can get in/out of Grayhawk via Eldorado or Panther Creek, but if you live on the western side of the neighborhood, you will have to do quite a bit of driving through the neighborhood. We looked at Grayhawk when we were buying (2009) and there are quite a few different builders and varying house sizes/prices. We were looking at the higher end of the neighborhood and that made me nervous. What is your budget?

Also, we looked at a couple of houses in the neighborhood and were NOT impressed with the quality. One house was horrible, and our realtor (my dad) said he had never seen such shoddy work before. This particular builder was not good and threw up a very large house very quickly. Most of these builders are no longer around. The construction quality was bad, as was the finish out. Cheap tile, fixtures, and wood floors. And our budget was $350k.

So keep that in mind no matter what neighborhood you are looking in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 10:39 PM

39 posts, read 72,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
Yes, 423 is horrible. You can get in/out of Grayhawk via Eldorado or Panther Creek, but if you live on the western side of the neighborhood, you will have to do quite a bit of driving through the neighborhood. We looked at Grayhawk when we were buying (2009) and there are quite a few different builders and varying house sizes/prices. We were looking at the higher end of the neighborhood and that made me nervous. What is your budget?

Also, we looked at a couple of houses in the neighborhood and were NOT impressed with the quality. One house was horrible, and our realtor (my dad) said he had never seen such shoddy work before. This particular builder was not good and threw up a very large house very quickly. Most of these builders are no longer around. The construction quality was bad, as was the finish out. Cheap tile, fixtures, and wood floors. And our budget was $350k.

So keep that in mind no matter what neighborhood you are looking in.
Your thoughts were very similar to my realtors' - we've decided against Grayhawk. We put an offer in on the Hillcrest Meadows house and found out the next day someone offered them 15K over the asking price CASH. So we're back to square one.

Honestly my brain is sizzling trying to decide what area to focus on. Our #1 priority are challenging schools. (I know everyone has smart kids but our 8 yr old twin girls are currently being given extra work at school to keep them occupied/stimulated, they've skipped a grade and are at 9/10th grade reading levels. Granted, we are in AL where academics and education are far from top notch.) Second priority is for a decent commute time. We're not against driving more than 20 mins. He currently has a 30 min drive to work and I drive 40 mins to get my kids to a private school. However, I LOATHE the drive!

Our budget is 330-340K. We would like to have a pool and grass would be a bonus. I've read several places that The Colony and Little Elm are the next to boom, but GEEEZ the school ratings are currently horrendous so I'm not sure I would want to take the risk there. Flower Mound is nice, but so few houses on the market. I love Frisco's busy-ness, but the quality of homes seem so hit or miss. Can someone tell me more about Prosper?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:34 AM

Yes, avoid The Colony and Little Elm if you are looking for good schools.

Prosper might be a good option, especially if you are looking for more yard/green space. Their lot sizes are larger. Just be aware that it will be extra time spent on the road and more $ on the tolls, if you choose to use the tollroad. You will have to go to McKinney/Frisco for anything, like groceries and eating out (unless you want Sonic or something similar). So keep that in mind as well. Parts of Prosper are McKinney ISD, which isn't a bad thing. Our school districts do not follow city boundaries.

Prosper schools are growing rapidly. I actually went to Prosper and graduated a little over 10 years ago. I thought the education was great considering how small the school was. We had several AP classes offered, and I took Latin for 3 years as well. I think the schools are good, but I'm sure they are going through some changes and growing pains.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 AM

Generally speaking, Drees, Darling, and Highland are considered the best builders in DFW. There are other good builders, but those are the top 3. Your realtor should be able to find out who the builder is (you can usually see on the appraisal district site).

Old 05-01-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Generally speaking, Drees, Darling, and Highland are considered the best builders in DFW. There are other good builders, but those are the top 3. Your realtor should be able to find out who the builder is (you can usually see on the appraisal district site).
You've provided some great insight! Good to know Prosper doesn't offer the nearby shopping that Frisco does. I saw Frisco is covered with shopping areas, but knowing grocery stores aren't plentiful in Prosper helps with the decision. I was wondering if there was an easy way to find out who built a house. We went in one in Grayhawk a few weeks ago and every knock on a wall sounded hollow. Found out it was a Grand built home... and thanks to city-data I learned they're not the best quality (obviously).
Thanks Stephwin! I will rep you again when I'm able

Old 05-01-2014, 03:17 PM

The easiest way is to go to www.dentoncad.org or www.collincad.org (or the appropriate county CAD site) and search by address for a particular home. Once you find the listing, scroll to the bottom to look at the deed history. It should indicate who the builder was.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
The easiest way is to go to www.dentoncad.org or www.collincad.org (or the appropriate county CAD site) and search by address for a particular home. Once you find the listing, scroll to the bottom to look at the deed history. It should indicate who the builder was.
Oh my goodness I would give you the biggest hug right now if I could!!! What a great resource! Thanks SO much for sharing!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:27 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUgradvb View Post
You've provided some great insight! Good to know Prosper doesn't offer the nearby shopping that Frisco does. I saw Frisco is covered with shopping areas, but knowing grocery stores aren't plentiful in Prosper helps with the decision. I was wondering if there was an easy way to find out who built a house. We went in one in Grayhawk a few weeks ago and every knock on a wall sounded hollow. Found out it was a Grand built home... and thanks to city-data I learned they're not the best quality (obviously).
Thanks Stephwin! I will rep you again when I'm able
Prosper has a mass amount of construction going on right now.There is major retail/entertainment/commercial shopping starting construction this summer...

Lincoln Property Co. rounding up tenants for new Prosper retail project | Dallas Morning News

The Gates of Prosper- Prosper, Texas | LPC Retail

Frisco North is going in right on the Prosper border along 380 as well...

Cinemark Theatre commitment solid starting point for Frisco North Project - Community Impact Newspaper

http://www.ci.frisco.tx.us/communica...thProject.aspx

Old 05-07-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Prosper has a mass amount of construction going on right now.There is major retail/entertainment/commercial shopping starting construction this summer...

Lincoln Property Co. rounding up tenants for new Prosper retail project | Dallas Morning News

The Gates of Prosper- Prosper, Texas | LPC Retail

Frisco North is going in right on the Prosper border along 380 as well...

Cinemark Theatre commitment solid starting point for Frisco North Project - Community Impact Newspaper

City of Frisco annouces final approvals for 320-acre, mixed-use Frisco North Project
Very Interesting! It looks like Prosper could possibly be the next boom town? I've been surprised to notice that the homes in Prosper aren't any cheaper (price/sf) than Frisco. My concern with Prosper are the schools. Although I understand Frisco isn't on the same level as Plano or even Flower Mound.

My husband leaves Monday to start our TX adventure, so he will be able to see what the commute time is life from Prosper to Lewisville. He has yet to find an apartment!!

Thanks for sharing the links, CREW747!

Old 05-11-2014, 10:38 AM

504 posts, read 800,927 times
For whatever it's worth, Boals Elementary school for Grayhawk is ranked #9 in the whole State (out of 4100 schools) by schooldigger.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: