Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:44 PM

9 posts, read 16,556 times

Advertisements

Sorry if I am reviving an old thread, but as someone who lives in Torrance and knows a lot of family and friends who work for Toyota (who are also moving to TX), you will prob see a lot of Asian-Americans moving to Plano. Torrance has a very large Asian community mainly consisting of Japanese and Koreans probably 50/50. I myself am a 3rd Generation Korean who will be moving my wife+2 boys to Plano or surrounding area. This scares the **** out of me, but after calculating everything - schools, cost of living, cost of homes, easier commute (compared to LA), and also getting offered double my current salary is no brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 07:32 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Plano has a large Asian population. Across the street from me are two Korean families and a mainland China family. Japanese families are not as abundant here. Have you been to Plano? Are you with Toyota or with an employer tied to them as a business partner?

Have you ever travelled here.? the salary doubling to move to a much lower COL location is a surprise to me and would make giving it a go hard to avoid.

Welcome to North Texas if you decide to come.

Plano is 17% Asian, with the majority Chinese, so likely to grow it seems. Some areas have super high Asian population, apparently tiger moms who see the elementary to. Idle school etc path as best for their situation. I think one of these area is in the northern end of western Plano. But others can guide you if this is important to you.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 08-18-2015 at 08:12 AM..

Old 08-18-2015, 08:41 AM

117 posts, read 193,665 times
I can't speak to the Japanese community in Plano but I worked with a lot of Vietnamese and know they have a huge community in the Garland area and out in Arlington. There are pockets of asians are all over the area, sorry if that's not super specific but I wouldn't be too concerned around Dallas. If you were moving out to lesser populated areas I might but not around here.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:09 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
While the Asian community, specifically the Korean community, isn't as large here as in Southern California, it's large enough to offer most of the amenities you may be seeking. The bigger shocker -- if you're from California and have lived in the breezy, cool but never cold Torrance/South Bay area a long time -- is going to be the weather. The heat in the summer, and the occasional blast of ice/snow in the winter, will take some getting used to.

But doubling salaries? That's pretty amazing. You definitely should be able to get ahead financially in N. Texas.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:20 AM

625 posts, read 1,956,511 times
greymatter,

I'm curious as to when the full effect of the move is going to take place - I've heard for months that people have already started buying houses, renting, etc., but haven't heard anything regarding the full rollout.

When are most employees planning on making the move?

Old 08-18-2015, 06:15 PM

70 posts, read 131,894 times
I'm in Pasquinellis Willow Crest (Home side). We've had a few houses already sold to Toyota employees.

There was talk at the pool last weekend about a Toyota employee buying one of the townhouses months ago. It is vacant, but they have a cleaning service coming monthly.

The trickle has begun?

Old 08-18-2015, 07:19 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
There isn't a Japanese community in Dallas in the same way as in LA with the old Little Tokyo east of downtown and Little Osaka on Sawtelle Avenue on the west side lined with Japanese restaurants and shops. Unlike the Koreans and Chinese, the Japanese aren't really visible in large numbers in North Texas. I'm not sure that one company moving in a couple thousand people (not all of whom will be Japanese) will really affect things here all that much.
The best Japanese steak house I've ever eaten in was in Georgetown, Kentucky.

So you'll probably get some good Japanese restaurants.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:53 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,926,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymatter310 View Post
...you will prob see a lot of Asian-Americans moving to Plano. ...
LOL. No different than any of the previous 20 years. Join the crowd - most of whom have been here for years and years already.

As Johnhw2 says, the city is 17% Asian. In other words, for every 6 people walking down the street, one of them is Asian. So no one is going to blink twice at you or your family. No worries, mate.

Not too many Japanese or Koreans, but a LOT of Chinese. In fact, on a percentage basis, among large (250k+) cities, only Honolulu, NYC, and the cities of the Bay Area - SF, Oakland, and San Jose - have a higher fraction of Chinese residents.

Guess that makes Plano the 6th most "Chinese" city in the USA.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:12 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
greymatter,

I'm curious as to when the full effect of the move is going to take place - I've heard for months that people have already started buying houses, renting, etc., but haven't heard anything regarding the full rollout.

When are most employees planning on making the move?
The majority will come in 2017 when the new campus is complete. The project team to design and oversee building of it are here now. I understand they are redesigning the organization and processes which will involve senior leadership and top executives on down, on a part time basis without moving I would say. Some one has to keep the business running the next two years.

I don't work for Toyota nor does Op. ButI've done a number of major fortune 50 relocations and this is pretty much how they go.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:20 PM

9 posts, read 16,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
LOL. No different than any of the previous 20 years. Join the crowd - most of whom have been here for years and years already.
Haha thanks. No, I understand there are already a good diversity of races there, just saying might see more of us Koreans or Japanese since there's a lot of us here in Torrance. I've been to Dallas twice for training for my job and it was very nice. I actually went to a Pho restaurant in Plano and it was actually pretty dang good. The kid working there were talking because he noticed my Dodgers hat. He said he wanted to move to CA because then he can smoke weed freely LOL

I think most of our views on living in Texas is what we watched on TV I.e king of the hill and hanks relationship with Khan. Which I loved!

I am in the IT industry and I am very surprised at how many companies are looking for techs and engineers. I thought I would have a difficult time looking for a position especially when I'm from out of state, but I literally got interview requests the next day after submitting a few resumes to test the water. Not only that paying MUCH better.

I will definitely miss the beaches and the cool weather, even now it's a nice 73 degrees and clear skies. Snowboarding as well I will miss. But I require now the simple quiet life as I have 2 young children.

I do hear from friends and family that 2017 summer will be the big push for people moving. I'm trying to get there before that time as I am assuming it will be more harder to get a home or houses prices rising due to all these Californians having lots of money left over from selling their homes and so used to paying so much for ****ty little houses. I do not work for Toyota, but I did do some Consulting for them a few times in the past.

I have a friend's who work for Toyota who were offered 100k, house buyout, paid moving costs, and 1 company car for use for this move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas