Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 11:43 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,693,812 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I recently graduated with my Masters in Social Work as well as my license to practice. I am currently in San Antonio and am really looking for new experiences and am looking for some general insight. I would like to remain in Texas and am asking these same questions in a few of the other Texas forums. My experiences lies with children and families and would love to continue on that path but am open to other areas (although hospital and geriatric or hospice social work are at the bottom). I am also bilingual.

As far as I am concerned, I am a 30 year single female who is relatively active. I run and do like to get out and about but nothing ever too wild.

I do have a few questions

1. Taking living and entertainment expenses into consideration what would you say is a comfortable salary for someone in Dallas? In San Antonio, I'm thinking about 38k to be comfortable. In the past I did look into Dallas and saw just a bit of an increase in the cost of living just south of the SMU area.

2. Are there any areas that I should avoid? Living? Working? I lived in Dallas during the summer of 2007 and enjoyed my time. I worked in the Oak Cliff area and lived near University Park. Working with the at-risk population I have a pretty high tolerance of tough areas. Traffic, though, may be a thing for me as I am used to driving 20 minutes to get anywhere in San Antonio. I know Dallas traffic is an acquired taste and can be rough at times.

3. Any particular agencies or organizations I should look in to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 08:04 PM

Boo. Okay. Crickets.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Boo. Okay. Crickets.
Um...today is Mother's Day so I'm betting a lot of people were busy today, plus your questions are pretty vague. I couldn't tell you what would be a comfortable salary here for you, but I know I wouldn't be able to pay my bills on $38k a year.

Good luck.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Um...today is Mother's Day so I'm betting a lot of people were busy today, plus your questions are pretty vague. I couldn't tell you what would be a comfortable salary here for you, but I know I wouldn't be able to pay my bills on $38k a year.

Good luck.
Well thanks?

Old 05-12-2014, 12:23 AM

153 posts, read 225,995 times
You said:
"I have a license to practice".
"...what would you say is a comfortable salary for someone in Dallas?"

You seem to have things backwards. You pursued master's level education and now you have a "license to practice"... something. Somewhere during all those years of education, did you glean a small glimmer of what you can earn?

Figure out what you're going to "practice", what it pays, then go from there.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSiczpak View Post
You said:
"I have a license to practice".
"...what would you say is a comfortable salary for someone in Dallas?"

You seem to have things backwards. You pursued master's level education and now you have a "license to practice"... something. Somewhere during all those years of education, did you glean a small glimmer of what you can earn?

Figure out what you're going to "practice", what it pays, then go from there.
It's a broad area that means I can do almost anything, It's flexible which is why I was asking. Like I said, something like 38,000 in San Antonio is comfortable. Like having a bit of money left over for things to do, nothing to extravagant? Generally a salary for this type of work can vary from 30 to 70 depending on what you do, which is why I asked. Do you see how that can vary so widely? I don't want to move somewhere where the average is 30. I want to live somewhere where it's in between the two. I figured I might ask those that may have experience with the area what they think. Yes, I can google and use indeed and simplyhired for salary information and organizations, but first hand experience is way more valuable than information that was updated in 2012 on idealist.org.

From what I can tell from the few responses I have gotten Dallas doesn't seem like a nice place to be. Thanks for helping me make that decision so quickly.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 05-12-2014 at 06:43 AM..

Old 05-12-2014, 06:09 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It's a broad area that means I can do almost anything, It's flexible which is why I was asking. Like I said, something like 38,000 in San Antonio is comfortable. Like having a bit of money left over for things to do, nothing to extravagant? Generally a salary for this type of work can vary from 30 to 70 depending on what you do, which is why I asked. Do you see how that can vary so widely? I don't want to move somewhere where the average is 30. I want to love somewhere where it's in between the twp. I figured I might ask those that may have experience with the area what they think. Yes, I can google and use indeed and simplyhired for salary information and organizations, but first hand experience is way more valuable than information that was updated in 2012 on idealist.org.

From what I can tell from the few responses I have gotten Dallas doesn't seem like a nice place to be. Thanks for helping me make that decision so quickly.
Yes, because 2 people in a metro of 7 MILLION are indicative of the entire Dallas vibe. Chill out!!

I would say $45-55k would be enough to live alone IN Dallas and have some fun money left over, assuming you don't have obscene student loans. Less if you have a roommate. We pay our entry level college grads in the mid $40's to mid $50's. Most have roommates and seem to be doing ok, certainly not living paycheck to paycheck unless they're super spendy or have a huge loan bill.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:50 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Having moved to Dallas from San Antonio, and with my husband's salary about 4 times higher than your SA "acceptable" , I can tell you without a doubt that Dallas is more expensive than San Antonio. Tolls alone will likely run you a minimum of $40 up to $200 depending upon job location relative to your home and also factoring in just general "going out." Totally avoidable but factor in lots of extra travel time. We have de-regulated electricity and you have to play the shop - around game to get the best rates. Other utilities are comparable. Groceries.....no HEB so if you're a huge fan that will be a disappointment, although I much prefer the variety offered here. ( We do have Central Market, though.) Groceries "seem" more expensive here but it's been nearly 3 years since I've shopped in San Antonio so the prices could have gone up there as well. Food is just expensive these days. Rent, can't help you there as we own a home, and our value just jumped 17K which, who knows if it's that they need more tax money out of us, or that the market is really rising, but it will likely be reflected in the rental rates as property owners are not going to just eat the increase.

That said, Dallas offers a TON more things to do. The vibe here is busy, bustling, and much more diverse than the Hispanic west side/ African American east side/ hipster wannabe city center/ and Northside whites. You will see and hear many cultures and languages and ethnic restaurants and that is the best thing about the Metroplex, as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck and congrats on attaining your Master's degree.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:55 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Oh, and sorry but I have no help to offer regarding employment. Not my field nor my husband's but I would bet there are more opportunities here than in San Antonio, just based on size alone.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:50 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,814 times
Having visited SA often while living in Austin, I'd definitely say not to come to Dallas. SA has a much better "vibe" to me, and is considerably less expensive than Dallas.

But then again, if you're interested in at-risk populations and feel the need to get out of SA, I'll throw a suggestion at you from left field: El Paso. Lots of at-risk population there, and a ton of outdoorsy things to do. Much better weather out there as well, but I'm biased because I prefer a dry climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas