Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:17 PM

104 posts, read 430,814 times

Advertisements

When buying a house, is a media room a "must have" for you all in Texas? I know a lot of new homes come with a game room but wonder if a media room is all that necessary.

Also, when selling the house, do you leave the media equipment in it? Or, do you take it.

Also, what are your preferences: carpet, hardwood, tile?????????

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 07:37 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,740,786 times
Media room is not a must have but nice.
I left the projector and the speakers in the media room when I sold the house.

carpet/tile/hardwood: personal preference.
I like carpet in the bedrooms (and media room), tile in the bathrooms and hardwood in the rest.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:25 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,402,944 times
Media room is definately a bonus and you want it carpeted with generally a darker carpet than the rest of the house, no windows (or blackout curtains) for better accoustics. I think it depends on the price point of whether you leave it or not and where you are moving to. If I wasn't going to take it if we moved, I would incorporate it into the price of the home.

Some people's definitions of media rooms are different and as with anything it depends on how serious you are about it .

Old 12-11-2007, 08:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,671,273 times
Depends on the price point of the home of a true dedicated media room is expected or not. In your average run of the mill "tract home" they are not. Upper end "tract" builders and custom home, yes. A media room MUST have carpet. You do NOT want a hard surface floor in there at all. Window is fine as long as it has a room darkening shade. By most city building codes if a room including a "dedicated" media room has a window it MUST have a closet and vice versa. This is because someone could possibly say it is a "bedroom" and if so they need an emergency escape. As for the equipment, if you use just a large tv be it projection or not that is not required to stay. NOW, in Texas anything ATTACHED to the home including a projection screen and the projector mounted from the ceiling would be included in the sale of the home UNLESS it is specifically mentioned in the listing agreement that it will not (same goes for window treatments and such). The equipment that is sitting on a shelf and only "plugged in" is NOT required to stay but it can be.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:16 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,693,028 times
If you're asking wood vs tile vs carpet in a media room, definitely carpet. You don't want an untreated surface to further reflect sound if at all possible.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:13 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,192,529 times
A media room is really only expected in a home of about 450K and above. Equipment is sometimes negotiable. It will just sell your house better, you don't necessarily get more for the house. Always dark carpet in the media room.

Always go with tile on the floors in all the bathrooms, (at least 13 X13), kitchen, laundry room and high traffic area as well as shower and backsplash. Bedrooms with carpet, always upgrade the padding at least. Builder's standard is usually not so good. If you decide to go with wood instead of carpet in the family room and other areas, do not use the laminate.

If you decide to upgrade to wood, most of the time I have found that the price is much better to have the builder do it instead of doing it yourself.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:40 AM

104 posts, read 430,814 times
Thanks all for your "helpful hints." We have moved 6 times in 8 years - and another possible move coming up. Everytime we buy we have to think about "resale" when we select our upgrades because we know this will probably not be our "permanent" home - if it was, I would put into the house what I wanted.

One last question - What type of window treatments do you all prefer - curtains - blinds - window tinting?

Thank goodness for this board and you wonderful people.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:09 AM

134 posts, read 1,219,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
...By most city building codes if a room including a "dedicated" media room has a window it MUST have a closet and vice versa. This is because someone could possibly say it is a "bedroom" and if so they need an emergency escape.
But a closet is not an emergency escape.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:12 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,371,854 times
So, how long will you be in this area in this soon to be purchased home?

Old 12-12-2007, 08:44 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,116,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Spouse View Post
When buying a house, is a media room a "must have" for you all in Texas? I know a lot of new homes come with a game room but wonder if a media room is all that necessary.
I don't think it is, but I've never had one before. People who have media rooms say they can't live without them.

Quote:
Also, when selling the house, do you leave the media equipment in it? Or, do you take it.
Given that some media rooms are equipped with tens of thousands of dollars in furniture and electronic equipment, I would absolutely take it with me and would expect a seller to take theirs with them.

Quote:
Also, what are your preferences: carpet, hardwood, tile?????????

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Carpet, no question. Media rooms are loud and I wouldn't want to put up with the bellowing and echoing you'd get with hardwood or tile. I'd even be tempted to put some sort of fabric soundproofing on the walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: