Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:03 AM

134 posts, read 1,221,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
That's exactly why a lot of states have an income tax to cover things like this.
New York City has State and City income tax and still manage to have some of the highest tolls in the country and yet they are discussing raising those tolls again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 07:41 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
I had to go to Frisco via 161 to the Tollway north past 121 today... and it cost me... just in tolls $8.80 roundtrip! That is ridiculous! We must be paying for every highway in Texas at that rate!

On top of that, it was pouring kittens and frogs and little doggies! Glad I don't have to do that everyday! Geez, that on top of gas would put anyone in the poorhouse these days!
Holy crap, that's a lot. Is that full whack or with a toll tag? I use a toll tag so I don't take much notice of what the tolls cost.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
The $2.00 to drive through the airport really ticked me off when I was out tehre recently. That is just ridiculous!
When I lived in Irving I knew a way to cut through the airport's property without paying tolls...including a route to the parking lots...but I think they've closed that off. This was back in pre-9/11 days. There are ways to get on and off the airport's property without taking 121 but it takes longer. Most people just bend over and pay the $2.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:52 AM

875 posts, read 1,093,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
When I lived in Irving I knew a way to cut through the airport's property without paying tolls...including a route to the parking lots...but I think they've closed that off. This was back in pre-9/11 days. There are ways to get on and off the airport's property without taking 121 but it takes longer. Most people just bend over and pay the $2.
I don't know how you'd get around paying the $2, there's a ticket booth you have to drive through to get into the terminal areas. You have to drive out through one to get back to the highways.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
New York City has State and City income tax and still manage to have some of the highest tolls in the country and yet they are discussing raising those tolls again.
Yikes! I'm glad I don't live there!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Holy crap, that's a lot. Is that full whack or with a toll tag? I use a toll tag so I don't take much notice of what the tolls cost.
Are the fees different if you don't have a toll tag where there's a booth? I finally broke down and got a toll tag last week. It's sure more convenient, and I don't really go on many toll roads, but I sure hated paying $1.40 as opposed to $.40 the few times I was on 121 when they mailed me an invoice.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:15 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
Exactly...The state has to get it's money somewhere. In Texas there's no state income tax, so you pay out the nose for property taxes and toll roads.
The taxes you pay on gas are supposed to pay for the roads, at least that's how I understood it. BTW, if you're going to use the toll roads, get a toll tag. My wife has one on her car and it saves a ton of money. Not only that but TIME...

Old 12-12-2007, 08:21 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Are the fees different if you don't have a toll tag where there's a booth? I finally broke down and got a toll tag last week. It's sure more convenient, and I don't really go on many toll roads, but I sure hated paying $1.40 as opposed to $.40 the few times I was on 121 when they mailed me an invoice.
Yes, it is like a nickel cheaper for each toll w/ a tolltag. We have tolltags on all of our vehicles and I LOVE IT! Would not do w/o it. The reason the tolls exist around here is that the funding was not there to build 190 or extend the Dallas North Tollway so they said the only way we could get them and get it done was if they were a tollroad. So of course we ALL went for it and be glad we did. If not you would find a HUGE MESS of traffic in the Dallas Metroplex. Toll roads around here are actually a good thing. Some people avoid them because they don't want to pay the tolls. Therefore that puts less people on those highways. The toll roads tend to see less traffic and faster speeds even in rush hour traffic. The areas around the toll roads are also higher in value. This has been the trend since the early beginnings of the Dallas North Tollway. With the tolls only those that USE them pay the toll while those that don't drive on them don't have to foot the bill. I'll take this ANYDAY over a state income tax, thank ya very much . I know people that "ramp jump" to avoid paying the tolls. They know which exits and entrances are free and use those and the service roads to avoid paying a toll. In my book that is kind of like cheating because your getting the benefit of the road being there but never helped to pay for it.

As for the airport toll, yes there once was a way to go "thru" the airport to avoid paying the toll. It was not by using the main road thru the airport but the side service streets. It could be done but not as quickly. Depended on how big of a hurry one is in. You could also access the remote parking lots this way and avoid paying a toll. I also thought awhile back they changed the toll rate for those that check-out in less than so many minutes. Those that are using it as a "cut-thru" pay more in tolls than those that actually use it to go to the airport.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I don't know how you'd get around paying the $2, there's a ticket booth you have to drive through to get into the terminal areas. You have to drive out through one to get back to the highways.
You'll just have to take my word for it. I lived less than a mile from DFW and it was to my advantage to know how to cut through it without paying tolls. It was between me and things I wanted to get to.

I also stated that this was pre-9/11 and they have changed some road layouts and blocked off some routes. I'm told there is still a way to get through the airport by people who know it a lot better than either of us do.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:25 AM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yes, it is like a nickel cheaper for each toll w/ a tolltag.
Actually, the savings are more substantial, anywhere from $.10 to $.30. Here is a chart showing the rates with and without for all toll locations:

http://www.ntta.org/AboutUs/Roadways/TollRates.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas