Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:22 PM

264 posts, read 621,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
I went on Friday and did the informal interview. It was a complete waste of time. I took lots of pictures and brought estimates of repairs including foundation work. The appraiser refused to look at any of. He just keep repeating that since I recently bought my house the sales price was the market value. I reiterated that my protest was on the grounds of unequal appraisal not market value. He told me he wouldn't consider that and if I wanted to take that route I would have to request a formal hearing. He would also not show me any tax rates of comparable homes in my area.
File your protest.

On the notice of protest you received, check only the box marked value is unequal compared with other properties. Hand deliver the protest to the district and head to the residential department. When you're asked why you're there, tell them that you would like to request a 41.461- Notice of Certain Matters Before Hearing. They have to provide you with a packet with the data on the valuation of your home. It will include all schedules, formulas, and any other info the chief appraiser deems pertinent. Once requested, you can go through their comparable properties they selected for both the sales approach and equity. Their equity must have a minimum of seven comparable properties to be deemed reliable.

At your hearing, the only thing the appraiser for the district can present is data pertinent to your 41.461 request. Dispute their sales weighting method which I'd guess has your home and two others -with yours weighted at 100%. Dispute the equity by finding homes you deem more similar than those the district selected- pay attention to the size, effective year built, and land values of your selections.

Good luck. It's a tough lesson to learn. I'd fire my realtor if I was you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 09:48 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,573,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You are talking about something completely different than him. Market Value is something completely different than "unequal" value. When there is a difference between unequal and market value, the LAW states that unequal wins every time. To that extent, it doesn't matter what he paid for it as market value. If he can show he's being unequally assessed compared to like properties, he has to win, it's the law.
You are correct. I did pass the Texas Senior Property Consultant exam back in the '90s and that was the law then too. I have filed these protests on behalf of property owners and actually prevailed....BUT

My point is - showing he's being unequally assessed compared to like properties is the key here. It's extremely difficult to win an appeal on these grounds, since the property owner is not the one to ultimately decide what is comparable and what is not. Making the assumption that the appraisal district has significantly undervalued most of a neighborhood is a stretch esp. when protesting the value of a residential property. And expecting them to provide the tax comps for you that will prove your case is unrealistic.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:00 AM

177 posts, read 310,015 times
Why don't we just all protest based on unequal value - after all, there are properties ranging from $30k to $10M in Dallas areas so we are all unequal ;-)

Like Etex2 said, IF AND ONLY IF similar properties are being assessed differently will u have an argument. And the tax district decides what they consider similar to yours...if there are tons of homes around you being assessed at around $472k you have no chance...

Old 05-21-2014, 11:24 AM

212 posts, read 408,175 times
Let us know how it turns out for you. Seriously.

I was one of the first to buy in the current market as my street turned over from original or near-original owners. My realtor told me the house would be reassessed to purchase price and so it was, about 33% more than near neighbors but a little more or a little less than people who have since purchased. I just can't work up a whole lot of energy to protest or, frankly, moral indignation. I'm not going to argue my house isn't worth what I paid for it, and if the CAD is prevented from raising my neighbor's values to reflect the current market, well, I considered that it was just their good fortune.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:22 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,705,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieplaya View Post
Like Etex2 said, IF AND ONLY IF similar properties are being assessed differently will u have an argument. And the tax district decides what they consider similar to yours...if there are tons of homes around you being assessed at around $472k you have no chance...
And this is where my job as an arbitrator is fun because I'm the one who gets to decide what is comparable and what's not. I throw CAD evidence out all the time because I don't deem it comparable, same with home owners. Doing massive amounts of adjustments is not comparable, in my opinion. And when a property owner gets to the Arbitration phase, it's not a computer that decides the number, it's a person...

Old 05-21-2014, 08:18 PM

382 posts, read 624,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post
Any danger in Collin or Dallas counties of an appeal resulting in an increase rather than a denial of a request for a decrease in appraisal value?
Does this happen, or is it simply a denial of request for a decrease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: