Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 02:16 PM

102 posts, read 184,731 times

Advertisements

Our son will start at Greenhill in the Fall and we are debating making the drive from Lake Highlands or move closer to school.

Part of our decision making involves the LBJ Express and if it would significantly help our commute. It looks like it is scheduled for completion by late 2015.

Any thoughts on the commute and family friendly neighborhoods near Greenhill? Our budget is $500k-$650k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 04:33 PM

91 posts, read 151,013 times
My niece is enrolled in Greenhill, her brother is going to Barksdale. Their dad said that it takes them 15-20 minutes from Hills of Prestonwoods to Greenhill and they are glad that they have best of both worlds. Excellent public schools and short commute to private school of their choice and his work in Carollton.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:28 PM

208 posts, read 335,835 times
Check out Schreiber Manor, not sure exact boundaries of Schreiber but general area is - Forest to the South, Midway to the West, Inwood to the East and Harvest Hill/635 to the North (I wouldn't want to live north of Harvest Hill though, too close to 635). Fits with your price range, mix of families and original home owners, but that is turning over to young families.

Super convenient to 635 and Tollway, and shopping at Preston/Forest and Inwood/Forest.

It's about 2.5 miles to Greenhill.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:29 PM

208 posts, read 335,835 times
Oh, and the zip is 75244

Old 05-18-2014, 08:57 AM

102 posts, read 184,731 times
Thanks, we are going to look at some homes in Schreiber Manor and the Hockaday neighborhood this weekend. Does anyone have thoughts on homes around Brookhaven Country Club? There is a demo/rebuild tax incentive in this area, but I wonder how long it will take for this area to really start trending upwards.

It seems like a good quality of life to be near the club/pool and a lot of house for the money. Feel like I am missing something.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:30 PM

269 posts, read 863,419 times
While you are looking at Schreiber manor and the Hockaday neighborhood, also check out Northaven park -- which is just the other side of Midway from the Hockaday neighborhood (and includes the Disney streets as well as the larger houses to the north of the park). Your money will go a little farther there and the park is a great amenity to have close by. You will find more classmates in these neighborhoods than in Farmer's Branch, which is up and coming, but is definitely still in the revitalization phase and likely to be for years.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:02 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
I'd suggest renting until you are sure Greenhill will work.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:32 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS_Parent View Post
While you are looking at Schreiber manor and the Hockaday neighborhood, also check out Northaven park -- which is just the other side of Midway from the Hockaday neighborhood (and includes the Disney streets as well as the larger houses to the north of the park). Your money will go a little farther there and the park is a great amenity to have close by. You will find more classmates in these neighborhoods than in Farmer's Branch, which is up and coming, but is definitely still in the revitalization phase and likely to be for years.
I think you're right there will be more classmates in the Disney Streets, though I'd venture to say most Greenhill kids live in Preston Hollow.

There are a good number of Greenhill families in the most upscale parts of Farmers Branch like Glad Acres, Branch Crossing, and The Courtyards at Valley View. I would suspect there are also some near the country club. Honestly, though, the eastern part of FB is 5 minutes from Disney Streets and 10 minutes from Preston Hollow, so in practical terms it doesn't make much difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas