Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 08:13 AM

267 posts, read 618,711 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am in my 20s currently in Las Colinas and my lease will be up in a few months. I am considering Uptown. I work in Frisco.

1. Is the DNT reverse commute that bad? I have been on at 6pm and didn't seem too bad.
2. Does anyone know anything about Northend apartments? Haven't toured it yet, but it seems most apartments have many bad reviews. The rents there appear to be reasonable as well (I pay 1000 a month in rent). Is noise from HoB and AAC that big of a concern?
3. Are there really that many more 20s singles than say, Legacy Town Center area? I wasn't impressed with the apartments in that area for some reason.
4. What about sports in Uptown? Mostly interested in running, basketball, and soccer, possibly lacrosse (though that I haven't done before!). Given uptown is mostly a concrete jungle, where does one play all these things? SMU? And does SMU allow non-students to buy memberships to their gym?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 08:49 AM

786 posts, read 1,223,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
Hello. I am in my 20s currently in Las Colinas and my lease will be up in a few months. I am considering Uptown. I work in Frisco.

1. Is the DNT reverse commute that bad? I have been on at 6pm and didn't seem too bad.
2. Does anyone know anything about Northend apartments? Haven't toured it yet, but it seems most apartments have many bad reviews. The rents there appear to be reasonable as well (I pay 1000 a month in rent). Is noise from HoB and AAC that big of a concern?
3. Are there really that many more 20s singles than say, Legacy Town Center area? I wasn't impressed with the apartments in that area for some reason.
4. What about sports in Uptown? Mostly interested in running, basketball, and soccer, possibly lacrosse (though that I haven't done before!). Given uptown is mostly a concrete jungle, where does one play all these things? SMU? And does SMU allow non-students to buy memberships to their gym?
I'll answer the questions I know:

1. Reverse commute on DNT isn't horrible. I'd say if you work off the Tollway in Frisco, you'd want to plan for 40-45 minutes.

3. Yes, there are more singles in their 20's than Legacy Town Center. Partly because Uptown is the most popular area for that demographic, but also because the boundaries for what's considered "Uptown" encompass a TON of different apartments, townhouses, condos, etc. That being said, there are simply a lot more people concentrated in the area than Shops, and therefore, more young people.

4. Kickball seems to be popular in Uptown. There are a few parks in the area like the one near State Thomas, then of course a ton of folks run on the Katy Trail and around the area. Yoga is also really big & there are numerous Yoga studios. Not sure about lacrosse or soccer, but I'm sure there'd be some sort of league or something...

Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Here's for your number 4 question: Dallas Sports Leagues - Home

Old 05-22-2014, 09:03 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,571 times
I will put it this way, if I was young and had a decent income, I would live in uptown. A cool place for a young single person. The commute would not be that bad and the weekends would be really nice.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:12 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
I will put it this way, if I was young and had a decent income, I would live in uptown. A cool place for a young single person. The commute would not be that bad and the weekends would be really nice.
Agreed, or very close by in a house(whiterock, m-steets, etc.).

Old 05-22-2014, 09:24 AM

117 posts, read 193,665 times
Do it. I will say that the tollway can get backed up at NW highway and 635 going north regularly but that wouldn't stop me.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:48 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
There are 3 parks that lots of people in Uptown use: Glencoe Park (near Mockingbird and 75), and Griggs Park and Cole Park in Uptown itself. Lots of leagues for various sports (softball, kickball, etc.) at Glencoe. Cole is known for their tennis courts. However, Griggs was recently renovated to be more kid and pet friendly so it may not be a place for sports.

Glencoe Park - Lower Greenville - Dallas, TX | Yelp

Uptown Dallas - Griggs Park

Cole Park - Uptown - Dallas, TX | Yelp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas