Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 04:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,341 times

Advertisements

I am a student from India moving to Dallas for MS at UT dallas, with my family? Where can I get a good house (min 3 bedroom) in dallas. Budget is upto $1300. Can give 2-3 months advance. Suggest some houses. And can I book the house online. Please suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 07:27 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
I am not aware of landlords who book their properties online without meeting applicants. There is competition for rental houses. You will have better luck finding an apartment for rent.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:46 AM

559 posts, read 935,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.1006 View Post
I am a student from India moving to Dallas for MS at UT dallas, with my family? Where can I get a good house (min 3 bedroom) in dallas. Budget is upto $1300. Can give 2-3 months advance. Suggest some houses. And can I book the house online. Please suggest.
International students book their apartments thru email and phone all the time well before they land in US. As a south asian native, I recommend to live in apartment initially for a year or two mainly because of less worry about landlord's strict restrictions due to privately managed property. That's only my personal preference, it's totally upto you.

Richardson is the most popular city for UT Dallas MS students. I know lot of Indians living in this city and going to school with DART bus service. For apartments, look up on rental websites like rent dot com, apartmentratings dot com and may other rental websites will give you info about various apartment communities in your desired area with available floor plans.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:01 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
It's been a while since I had to look for a rental. I really think it's going to be very hard to find a house for rent in a decent suburb for $1,300. I suspect you will be looking at well over $1,500, and perhaps closer to $2,000 for a house to rent that has decent schools. You would probably need to look at apartments instead.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
If your budget is $1300, forget a decent house in a decent suburb. Get a nice apartment instead.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:54 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
If your budget is $1300, forget a decent house in a decent suburb. Get a nice apartment instead.
This. I live in Richardson and there are a few rental properties in my neighborhood, but nothing bigger than a 2-2 cottage 2 blocks from 75 will rent for $1300 a month. Maybe something in the dicey Fox and Jacobs craphole between Arapaho and Campbell along Custer, but you don't want to live there. It's not dangerous, it's just butt-ugly.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:16 AM

988 posts, read 1,827,413 times
Agreed with and will echo what the other posters have said. I am also looking for a new home and my experience (which is probably looking in somewhat similar areas such as Richardson, Addison, North Dallas, possibly Farmers Branch - I would prefer to be near work to limit driving) is your budget will not find you a single family house for $1300 (at least not a 3BR). My needs are different so I don't need as much space (it's just me), but 1-2 BR apartments in the area are running in the ballpark of $850-1000 (for the less expensive ones) and can run $1200-1300 if you want places with more "luxury" amenities.

I think you'll have to compromise somewhere. Either more money, less home, or possibly if you're willing to look to another area. However, you'd then have a long and possibly expensive drive.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:33 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This. I live in Richardson and there are a few rental properties in my neighborhood, but nothing bigger than a 2-2 cottage 2 blocks from 75 will rent for $1300 a month. Maybe something in the dicey Fox and Jacobs craphole between Arapaho and Campbell along Custer, but you don't want to live there. It's not dangerous, it's just butt-ugly.

If it's safe, and the OP has school age children (not sure on this point) then perhaps he/she will just have to make do? If it's safe, and it's Richardson ISD schools, and the commute would be practically zero, then to me, I would just hold my nose and do it. It's not forever.

I remember 5 years ago we were looking for a house to rent in the Garland/Rowlett/Sachse/Richardson area...just wanted a 3-2, nothing fancy. Couldnt find anything under $1100 that wasnt in a dicey area. And this was 5 years ago before the housing craziness we are now seeing. As a result we had no choice but to get an apartment, but it sowed the seeds of eventually buying a house, as we couldnt see why we should pay $1,300+ to rent when we could own...and the rest is history.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
If it's safe, and the OP has school age children (not sure on this point) then perhaps he/she will just have to make do? If it's safe, and it's Richardson ISD schools, and the commute would be practically zero, then to me, I would just hold my nose and do it. It's not forever.

I remember 5 years ago we were looking for a house to rent in the Garland/Rowlett/Sachse/Richardson area...just wanted a 3-2, nothing fancy. Couldnt find anything under $1100 that wasnt in a dicey area. And this was 5 years ago before the housing craziness we are now seeing. As a result we had no choice but to get an apartment, but it sowed the seeds of eventually buying a house, as we couldnt see why we should pay $1,300+ to rent when we could own...and the rest is history.
I don't know why anyone would rent a small house when they could get an apartment that size or even larger for less per month, and no yard upkeep to worry about. If the OP's going to be a student, why waste time cutting grass and trimming trees when you could be studying...or enjoying a quiet evening with friends? Priorities, priorities....

Old 05-25-2014, 08:58 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't know why anyone would rent a small house when they could get an apartment that size or even larger for less per month, and no yard upkeep to worry about. If the OP's going to be a student, why waste time cutting grass and trimming trees when you could be studying...or enjoying a quiet evening with friends? Priorities, priorities....
Apartments stink in a lot of ways compared to a house. Sharing walls is an absolute beating most of the time. I hated having to hear the neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas