Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:15 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,147,997 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am in pursuit of my nursing degree and my friend who is a recruiter for Platt college in Oklahoma suggested for me to take the nursing program at Platt down here in Texas.

There are some negative reviews about the college online and I just wondered has anyone received a degree (particularly nursing) from this college? I have been looking around for a good schooland need some suggestions.

Any help, advise or direction would be very much appreciated..

Thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 05:06 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Lifelong Dallasite here....never heard of it.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:18 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
El Centro has a program or you might want to look at TWU in Denton for a 4 year degree.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:46 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Never heard of it. TWU and UTA (in Arlington) are the two top nursing schools in the Dallas area.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:08 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Never heard of it.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:57 PM

83 posts, read 359,507 times
Their website About Us - Platt College (http://www.plattcolleges.edu/about-us/ - broken link) doesn't talk about accreditation

Google search also states the same:
Platt College - Colleges, Texas, Dallas. Features, reviews, ratings.
Platt College - Dallas - College Prowler

With less than 300 enrolled students, no accreditation and no positive reviews both in CD & Google I would be very sceptic...

Old 03-09-2011, 07:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
money pit

Old 03-09-2011, 09:01 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
I have an aunt who attended Platt. To be brutally honest, it's a nursing school for those who either a) dont have the competitive grades to apply to the community colleges (those are FIERCELY competitive now), and/or dont have the funds to attend the 4 year colleges (UTA, TCU et al). The Platt college here in Dallas offers only the LVN program. I want to say the program lasts 18 months - but dont quote me. The main drawbacks are that 1) none of the credits are transferable to a 4 year school later. So if you dont finish the program you can't take up where you left off, you would have to start from scratch at a juco or 4 year school 2) It's not cheap...up to $20K or more for an LVN.

They do offer a bridge program to get you to RN (which is what you get if you do a 2 year juco program) but that bridge is in Oklahoma. So you would have to relocate out there to do the bridge. Dallas Nursing Institute is another organization that is similar.
If you want my advice, I would explore the Junior college and 4 year schools first. This option is doable, but it's a whole lot more money and difficulties.

Note: All these facts are from 2 years ago when my aunt enrolled in the program. Some things may have changed so you might want to do further research

Old 03-12-2011, 03:17 PM

53 posts, read 180,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hello, I am in pursuit of my nursing degree and my friend who is a recruiter for Platt college in Oklahoma suggested for me to take the nursing program at Platt down here in Texas.

There are some negative reviews about the college online and I just wondered has anyone received a degree (particularly nursing) from this college? I have been looking around for a good schooland need some suggestions.

Any help, advise or direction would be very much appreciated..

Thankyou
I was enrolled in a "vocational" type bsn-rn program in California - accredited to sit for the NCLEX but not regionally accredited so when I moved here none of the 18 months of course work I had completed will transfer to local Jr. colleges (or 4 year U). I have looked at Concorde, Platt and DNI in order to do an LVN and then bridge to an LVN-RN program - some are available online that are accredited.

Just know that none of your course work will transfer - you are getting a vocational degree not a degree from an accredited U.

Platt is 31,000 and M-Thursday 9-4 for the first 15 weeks - and then you go to I think 2 days of course work and 2 days of clinical or it might be 3 days of clinical. The hours for clinical will vary. It is a 15 month course. You will not be able to be hired in a hospital setting - in the last few years they have gone away from hiring LVNs and only hire Rn's and many want the BSN-RN.

I spent the last 2 weeks doing a CNA certification - the real bottom of the barrel in nursing. I do suggest you do something like that to be sure you want this line of work. You will not be doing CNA work as an LVN - but you should be prepared for what you will see and at times do.

Hope this helped. I do think that this type of school has it's place for a variety of reasons. For me, I need to work as soon as possible and cannot take 3.5 years to get into a program but can take 15 months - take my NCLEX - and as far as not being able to pass - don't be silly - every school has to publish their pass rates - in 2009 (last published by the Texas board of nursing) they had a 97% pass rate.

Hope this all helps. The next start date is in April - the one following is in August. They do only take 50 students and it does actually fill up.

Best wishes to you.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:09 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,147,997 times
This is REALLY discouraging as I don't have 3-5 years either to get a degree but I don't want to be paying that kind of money for a school that is not accredited.

It is strange but they told me their school was accredited, are they lying then?

Also, my friend who is a recruiter in Oklahoma highly recommended Platte. I just don't get it...

Thank you for your help and advise. Looks like I have a lot of decisions to make and a lot to think about..

Sincerely

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoTexas2 View Post
I was enrolled in a "vocational" type bsn-rn program in California - accredited to sit for the NCLEX but not regionally accredited so when I moved here none of the 18 months of course work I had completed will transfer to local Jr. colleges (or 4 year U). I have looked at Concorde, Platt and DNI in order to do an LVN and then bridge to an LVN-RN program - some are available online that are accredited.

Just know that none of your course work will transfer - you are getting a vocational degree not a degree from an accredited U.

Platt is 31,000 and M-Thursday 9-4 for the first 15 weeks - and then you go to I think 2 days of course work and 2 days of clinical or it might be 3 days of clinical. The hours for clinical will vary. It is a 15 month course. You will not be able to be hired in a hospital setting - in the last few years they have gone away from hiring LVNs and only hire Rn's and many want the BSN-RN.

I spent the last 2 weeks doing a CNA certification - the real bottom of the barrel in nursing. I do suggest you do something like that to be sure you want this line of work. You will not be doing CNA work as an LVN - but you should be prepared for what you will see and at times do.

Hope this helped. I do think that this type of school has it's place for a variety of reasons. For me, I need to work as soon as possible and cannot take 3.5 years to get into a program but can take 15 months - take my NCLEX - and as far as not being able to pass - don't be silly - every school has to publish their pass rates - in 2009 (last published by the Texas board of nursing) they had a 97% pass rate.

Hope this all helps. The next start date is in April - the one following is in August. They do only take 50 students and it does actually fill up.

Best wishes to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas