Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:49 PM

110 posts, read 133,344 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I've been reading this forum and appreciate everyone's feedback.

I've been thinking about moving our warehouse/ distribution facility to Dallas TX from the Los Angeles area.

We ship to end customers all over the country.

I had some questions, if any business owners from the area can chime in:

. Does anyone have a recommended area for finding a warehouse to lease, approx 5,000 square feet. I'd want it to be safe and close to a good residential area where I can live.

. What are some of the govt hurdles I'll have to juggle through besides getting a resale license and business license? Any other issues that I may not know about coming from California?

. Is there any taxes levied on inventory in Dallas or Texas? eg. If I'm carrying $1M in inventory, will I have to pay an annual tax on this? If so, how much?

. Are there any other business taxes or overhead that I'll be expected to pay that may be unique to Dallas or Texas?

. As a warehouse, distribution facility, how do you guys manage the heat during the summers for employees? Is it normal to turn on AC's in the warehouse? Or just fans? What will be expected? If the AC's have to be on, that'll be additional overhead that's not usual in California, as we do not turn on the AC in the warehouse.

. As a business, how involved is the state? Do you get audited annually, bi-annually, or is it very unusual to get audited at all?

. Finding good employees.. How do you guys find the workforce in Dallas TX?

. Where would I go to post job openings? What do you guys recommend? Craigslist or other local service?

. What's the normal wage range for warehouse employees?

. Do most small business in Dallas offer benefits and health insurance? What's normal or expected?

. If there are any small businesses that have moved from CA to TX.. I would love to hear your experiences... both good and bad..

Thanks in advance everyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 03:22 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Double check the place you decide on has a current CO, changing CO's on a property that has an old outdated CO can be a PITA. Dallas is a STICKLER for parking, I can't stress this one enough! So make sure you have ample parking or a parking agreement with someone near by with parking. They want even think twice about your application without it. As for where, Dallas has lots of good warehousing but I'm not sure where to suggest, I mean if you air ship your products, you may want to be closer to Luv filed for example.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:27 PM

We would just need UPS, Fedex or USPS shipping services. THe only pple parking would be employees and staff. What is a "CO"?

Thanks.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:33 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
I would suggest DFW as opposed to Love Field for shipping cargo. The facility is much larger.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Certificate of Occupancy, I think.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:05 PM

Regarding the CO (or certificate of occupancy), I'd have to obatin this from the landlord where I lease the building? I assume this should already be worked out between the building manager and the city... thank you..

Old 06-06-2014, 06:09 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
There is plenty of space available in the Alliance Corridor/Roanoke area, and Alliance Airport is a freight airport. This area is very business friendly, newer warehouses, with AC. As to sales tax, etc, a quick visit to a local Comptrollers office will get you set up in an hour or less. You can even call and get an appointment.

As to inventory taxes, it is the inventory on hand as of Jan 1. Just plan accordingly. Check with the Denton Co Appraisal District and they can answer your questions on that.

As to state audits, why? No income tax, etc. only thing you might run into is OSHA, etc.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:14 PM

** As to state audits, why? No income tax, etc. only thing you might run into is OSHA, etc. **

You're right.. there's no state tax.. so probably no need for a state audit..

What about the annual inventory tax? How does that work? (% of wholesale value?)

Do auditors come in annually to check your inventory? How detailed or particular are they?

Thank you...

Old 06-06-2014, 06:17 PM

Actually, I'd have to collect sales tax on Texas sales... so the state will probably want to audit us for that from time to time... Anyone have experience with how often they audit? Are Texas auditors unusually difficult or reasonable? Thank you..

Old 06-06-2014, 07:22 PM

249 posts, read 330,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam500 View Post
Regarding the CO (or certificate of occupancy), I'd have to obatin this from the landlord where I lease the building? I assume this should already be worked out between the building manager and the city... thank you..
Nope. You have to go in person to city hall when you come

Welcome to the City of Dallas, Texas - Building Inspection

Basically a waste of a morning. After that some inspectors will come inspect the place, tell you to fix this and that. Install an exit sign here and there. Inspect again to make sure you did the changes recommended. Then they give you the CO certificate which you have to display (they do come by and check it once in awhile). I can't comment on the audit yet.... knock on wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas