Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 08:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
We took our boys to Sea World last summer, not sure why, and both my husband and I regretted it almost instantly. It is truly a depressing place. It's bad enough for the animals- and that alone is cause enough to not visit- but I felt the rides were unsafe. My tall, then 7-year old seriously, no exaggeration, almost slid out of the Steel Eel. The restraints are not safe and my husband and I both upset and talked to a park official who noted that my healthy boy was just "too skinny." Um, no. We got home and started talking to friends and evidently many others have noticed the same thing. My husband and I agreed that after doing Disneyworld, anything else is second rate. The same weekend we were there the lady fell out of the roller coaster at Six Flags in Arlington, so I will admit I was a bit freaked at the timing. Then Blackfish came out a couple of weeks later and I was so convicted and sad. Some might say it is "weak minded" to feel compassion but we make it a priority in our family to respect living things. I will add we haven't visited any type of zoo since then and have no plans to do so.
Would give reps, but must spread reps.

I never felt like the restraints were going to give way when I rode the rides at Sea World but this was sometime around 1999-2000 when I was a bit larger than I am. If anything I felt a little squished.

Also, on my last visit one of the rides broke down and people were trapped on it for quite a while. I realize this could happen anywhere, but it's one more strike against it. And after seeing Blackfish, I can't go back to sleep. I simply cannot support keeping such large mammals in such small enclosures. And at Sea World San Antonio, it's all artificial. There's no SEA anywhere near it. Just think of how those animals had to be brought in in the first place.

But back off my high horse; I think we've given the OP some great cruelty-free alternatives and I hope she considers them seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 12:10 AM

45 posts, read 70,686 times
Groupon or Living Social (I can't remember which) just had Sea World deals, and often have hotel discounts. There's also a website, Visitsanantonio.com that has coupons and travel packages.

We love the Drury hotel, near 1604 when we go. It may be a bit out of the way, but we paid somewhere around $80/night, they have evening snack foods and breakfast, and clean rooms. That's usually our pick when we go to SA, unless there is a killer deal for a Riverwalk hotel.

We go down there often and I still always love to visit the Riverwalk every time. It's so beautiful and there are some really good restaurants. Casa Rio is good, and then there are some of the popular chains there, too. Having done this recently, I will caution you- check the sports schedule before heading downtown! The Spurs are in the NBA finals, and it turned into a massive street party after their win last week. What we thought would be a half hour trip for ice cream with our kids turned into hours of sitting in traffic next to car-loads of cheering, half-drunk people, some dancing on top of cars. I'm sure it's a blast if you're a fan, but we just wanted to get back to our hotel.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:20 AM

718 posts, read 1,388,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'd skip Sea World and just go to Schlitterbahn and Fiesta Texas (the Six Flags park). If you want to see ocean creatures, visit Corpus Christi or the Dallas World Aquarium.

Home - Dallas World Aquarium : Dallas World Aquarium

Blackfish Official Film Site

Sea World = Evil Incarnate.
The Dallas World aquarium is a rip off , it is expensive and done in less than an hour!

Old 06-09-2014, 09:45 AM

111 posts, read 218,446 times
I would spend the entire trip at schilitterbahn and floating the river. The water park is huge and we only do one section per day. Sea world will be crazy hot.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:16 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Take your kids to Austin and show them the state capitol
if you go I35 stop in Waco at the Texas RAnger Hall of Fame--although going on 35 is a crap shoot as to construction delays or wrecks caused by speed demons...
if you go on 35 stop in Gruene and eat at the Grist Mill--awesome food and historical setting
town is botiquey shops but neat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas