Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 04:20 PM

27 posts, read 55,488 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I did a search of the forum and did not pull up much on this area. Can someone give me a general idea about safety? desirability? demographics? etc? Is this considered Lake Highlands? Are people moving here? moving out?

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 05:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Google is usually a helpful starting place! Highland Meadows

Yes, that is Lake Highlands. From reading the neighborhood association website, the neighborhood is split between DISD and RISD schools. For both schools and home values, the better part - by far- of the neighborhood is the RISD part. If you have kids, there is also an outstanding private school - Highlander- in the neighborhood. Overall, Lake Highlands is very desirable and the real estate values there are going up, up, up. It's one of the few last moderately affordable areas within the 635 loop that have good public schools.

You can probably call the DPD Northeast station for crime stats or check their website, but most of the crime issues in the LH area are in apartment complexes or in the area around Forrest & 635. I am not sure what apartment complexes are in Highland Meadows - if any- but that area is pretty far from the "Forrest Ghetto".
http://www.dallaspolice.net/division...t/welcome.html

Old 06-07-2014, 05:18 PM

thanks for the info..........Google was surprisingly not that helpful on this areas, it seems to be east of LH so i am not sure how much the desirability goes down. Hopefully someone on here lives near this area.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:51 PM

161 posts, read 260,179 times
DM me if you have more questions. I have lived in the area for 8 years. I'm on the DISD side of Highland Meadows since that was level of income at time of purchase and could throw a rock to the RISD boundary from my house. At the time, we couldn't afford to get into that block.

1. IMO-Stay away from the Northern & North Eastern parts of Highland Meadows. Those two apartments have the higher crime rates in the area. Crime does occur, but mostly BMV and property break in when I see them on the crime reports. Usually it appears to be due to reasons people could have avoided. Not parking car in garage, leaving valuables seen, not having home alarm with window sensors, lighting, etc.

2. If you buy in DISD and have kids in school, have a plan other than DISD. Highlander and St Patrick are two close private schools. If you buy in RISD side, you have Wallace Elementary that feeds into Lake Highlands pattern.

3. Might want to check DCAD site and determine how many homes in your proximity are owned vs rent. Some of the streets in the rental part of Highland Meadows are pretty obvious due to lack of upkeep.

You have awesome proximity to everything and can avoid rush hour traffic on the major highways if you work downtown. This is an area where you can find a good fixer upper and some homes have remodels as well. I'm not sure what all is on the market in that area. Hope this helps some.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:35 AM

clickbear,

thanks so much for the information. is there any obvious "catch" to why the prices are lower in HM vs L Streets?

Old 06-08-2014, 10:05 AM

161 posts, read 260,179 times
I don't know why there is a price difference, but here are my takes

1. DISD vs RISD (The RISD Boundary ends in part of Highland Meadows)
2. RISD (L-streets) vs RISD (Highland Meadows)-Lake Highlands Elem has the view of a better campus compared to Wallace (RISD for Highland Meadows). I don't know from experience on either. Maybe you can find out on forum.
3. Much less apartments in the L-Street/Lake Ridge area vs Highland Meadows.
4. The L-streets/Lake Ridge area have a lot more rebuilds occurring along with the Lake Highlands Villas (used to be land for apartments) going in by David Weekly. Whereas the Highland Meadows area has yet to see that in the area. I would think you have a more stable taxable value in Highland Meadows, where maybe on the L-Streets within the next 12 months you have 4 new rebuilds built around you. It would bring property value up, BUT also taxable value and increase you taxes/budget. You could protest the value, but there is a risk with it not being lowered.
5. Some of the Highland Meadows streets intersect directly with Northwest Highway (Rolling Rock, Capri, Grenadier, Strathmore). Those streets can tend to have a little more traffic at times compared to the streets parallel to them.

Last edited by clickbear; 06-08-2014 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas