U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:58 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,249,254 times

Advertisements

Everyone is pretty on target concerning what areas to have wired as far as doors and windows. We even have sensors on our upstairs windows. Glass breakage detectors are downstairs but not upstairs. All entry doors have sensors and we even have our overhead doors on the garage hooked up. I kind of like this far more for another reason than why we had them put on in the first place. If I get home and for some reason someone comes into the garage before we get in the house to turn off the alarm it will go off. We have a bit of a longer delay but 3 minutes is sufficient time to get out of the car, unlock the door to the house and turn off the alarm. We also have keypads by the front door, door coming in from the garage (which happens to be right by the door from the backyard) and in the master bedroom. The master bedroom is one I HIGHLY recommend. If you set your alarm at night if it should go off you don't have to leave your room to see what area is being triggered.

As for alarm companies. I don't care for ADT. We had several problems w/ them not calling when alarms went off. We have our home along w/ all of our business locations monitored and they were not good at all. After seeing a special about them on tv we even set the alarms off on purpose at every location and no one ever called - . They were not cheap either and were one of the most expensive alarm monitoring companies so that really ticked us off especially when one night the police dept called us after they drove by one business location and saw the front glass broken out. There is no way whoever did it could have gotten away w/ NOT setting off the alarm either and ADT even showed it went off but they never called us or the p.d. We ended up going w/ Smith-Thompson which is a locally owned company and they have been very good over the years and their prices are much more reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 02:27 PM

69 posts, read 264,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Everyone is pretty on target concerning what areas to have wired as far as doors and windows. We even have sensors on our upstairs windows. Glass breakage detectors are downstairs but not upstairs. All entry doors have sensors and we even have our overhead doors on the garage hooked up. I kind of like this far more for another reason than why we had them put on in the first place. If I get home and for some reason someone comes into the garage before we get in the house to turn off the alarm it will go off. We have a bit of a longer delay but 3 minutes is sufficient time to get out of the car, unlock the door to the house and turn off the alarm. We also have keypads by the front door, door coming in from the garage (which happens to be right by the door from the backyard) and in the master bedroom. The master bedroom is one I HIGHLY recommend. If you set your alarm at night if it should go off you don't have to leave your room to see what area is being triggered.

As for alarm companies. I don't care for ADT. We had several problems w/ them not calling when alarms went off. We have our home along w/ all of our business locations monitored and they were not good at all. After seeing a special about them on tv we even set the alarms off on purpose at every location and no one ever called - . They were not cheap either and were one of the most expensive alarm monitoring companies so that really ticked us off especially when one night the police dept called us after they drove by one business location and saw the front glass broken out. There is no way whoever did it could have gotten away w/ NOT setting off the alarm either and ADT even showed it went off but they never called us or the p.d. We ended up going w/ Smith-Thompson which is a locally owned company and they have been very good over the years and their prices are much more reasonable.

i agree with the ADT statements. They have gotten too big and are too worried about the police depts complaining to them about false alarms that Ithink they pick and choose when to call/send police out. It's lame, I know.

I dont know if people have the same problem w/ Brinks. I do know that like momof2dfw says, Smith Thompson is a great choice. They have ALWAYS had a great reputation.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:41 PM

104 posts, read 393,944 times
I had ADT in two other states and was not satisfied with their service either. For our present house in Illinois, we have gone back to Brinks (I have glass breaks also). One thing I found out when I went back to Brinks is that I was eligible for the same pricing as I got when I signed on with them many years ago - what a savings over what ADT was charging us. If we make our move to Texas, I am going to go with Brinks again as I have been very satisfied with their service all the way around.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:27 PM

15 posts, read 56,982 times
I have also recently been inundated with calls from alarm companies. We have lived at a new house here for a week and a half. IS there any NEW recommendations besides those listed previosuly in this discussion or companies that should be avoided (besides ADT) that anyone has had recent experience with?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,014,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
It seems odd to me that window contacts would be expensive - they're simple to install. I guess it depends on the structure of the house.
Also easy to get around. I remember when my parents found my sister's rewired so they didn't go off when she snuck out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or