Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 05:19 PM

374 posts, read 548,800 times

Advertisements

Very useful, thank you! It seems that North Richland Hills has more affordable homes than Grapevine. We are renting in Grapevine right now, but will check out what NRH has to offer. I'm intrigued. We've been in DFW for about a month and still learning about our potential neighborhoods. I quickly learned that I can't afford Southlake that's for sure!! LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 06:04 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Yes, homes in NRH will be less expensive than Grapevine. Be sure and check out the property taxes; Grapevine is one of the lowest in DFW, so over the life of the hem, you pay a lot less in taxes!
Tarrant County - 2013 Tax Rates
http://taxoffice.tarrantcounty.com/ratesExemptions.asp

Old 08-02-2014, 06:32 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
If you are planning on buying in NRHills--check the schools any house is zoned for---
some are rated better than others--
north of the Airport Frwy is better than south--
area around Tarrant Parkway and has some nice homes, good schools--
some developments are fairly new and some are more like 15 yrs old...

make sure you drive the area morning and night, week and weekends....
some neighborhoods have had foreclosures and might have rental homes more than owner occupied
check TAD.org web site under ownership and the history to see history...

Old 08-03-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
If you are planning on buying in NRHills--check the schools any house is zoned for---
some are rated better than others--
north of the Airport Frwy is better than south--
area around Tarrant Parkway and has some nice homes, good schools--
some developments are fairly new and some are more like 15 yrs old...

make sure you drive the area morning and night, week and weekends....
some neighborhoods have had foreclosures and might have rental homes more than owner occupied
check TAD.org web site under ownership and the history to see history...
Thanks! I honestly wish we could live in Prosper, Tx. Wouldn't that be great? Beautiful new homes at fabulous prices?! But nooooo, I have to spend upwards of $350k for a dated fixer in Grapevine. Sigh

Old 08-04-2014, 03:58 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
If you are spending $350k in Grapevine, you shouldn't be getting a "dated fixer." Maybe you need a better Realtor?

Sure, Prosper is all shiny and new, but it's also out on the prairie and far away from the city, with the only highway out being a toll road. To each his own, but I'd rather live closer in and have a little older house.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,534,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If you are spending $350k in Grapevine, you shouldn't be getting a "dated fixer." Maybe you need a better Realtor?

Sure, Prosper is all shiny and new, but it's also out on the prairie and far away from the city, with the only highway out being a toll road. To each his own, but I'd rather live closer in and have a little older house.
We close next week on a 95% updated home in E.Colleyville (generally a little bit more $$$ area than Gvine or NRH) for under $350K. The point is, they exist, but they go fast! We were the first offer turned in and there were 6 total. Our realtor is a class act and extremely helpful, but I took it upon myself to basically haunt the listings so we could be one of the first to look at homes when they hit MLS. We still can't believe we found it and got it.

When I say 95% updated I mean we are doing some painting, scraping popcorn in 2 rooms, and replacing carpet (real hardwoods everywhere but the 2nd living and bedrooms). Kitchen and bathrooms all updated.

My cousin and his wife have a beautiful home in NRH/ Birdville ISD. Their oldest starts K this year so we will see how they like it. There are some highly rated elementaries in Birdville as well as HEB ISD and I wouldn't rule either out. Check out the area just south of Cheek Sparger and W of 121- lots of those houses have Colleyville addresses but HEB ISD zoned to Bedford Heights El I believe. That area of Bedford seems to be pretty good for resale. Thank you also to loves2read for the good explanation of Bedford infrastructure.

Like ChristieP, I cannot imagine choosing that commute to Prosper (and would be concerned about schools) seeing as how we just moved from West of FW for that very reason. I am LOVING being close to everything again. Just keep in mind OP that the houses are cheaper for a reason! Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 08-05-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
We close next week on a 95% updated home in E.Colleyville (generally a little bit more $$$ area than Gvine or NRH) for under $350K. The point is, they exist, but they go fast! We were the first offer turned in and there were 6 total. Our realtor is a class act and extremely helpful, but I took it upon myself to basically haunt the listings so we could be one of the first to look at homes when they hit MLS. We still can't believe we found it and got it.

When I say 95% updated I mean we are doing some painting, scraping popcorn in 2 rooms, and replacing carpet (real hardwoods everywhere but the 2nd living and bedrooms). Kitchen and bathrooms all updated.

My cousin and his wife have a beautiful home in NRH/ Birdville ISD. Their oldest starts K this year so we will see how they like it. There are some highly rated elementaries in Birdville as well as HEB ISD and I wouldn't rule either out. Check out the area just south of Cheek Sparger and W of 121- lots of those houses have Colleyville addresses but HEB ISD zoned to Bedford Heights El I believe. That area of Bedford seems to be pretty good for resale. Thank you also to loves2read for the good explanation of Bedford infrastructure.

Like ChristieP, I cannot imagine choosing that commute to Prosper (and would be concerned about schools) seeing as how we just moved from West of FW for that very reason. I am LOVING being close to everything again. Just keep in mind OP that the houses are cheaper for a reason! Best of luck to you and your family!
Thanks, it's nice to know they exist but keep in mind...it's not easy to find. 6 offers? The thought of bidding wars is exhausting. And no. I would never tjink of commuting to Prosper...just wishing that I could have a shiny new house for a reasonable price, that's all. Question: how is Birdville ISD? I understand many elementary schools are nice. What about middle and high schools? NRH is my next town to scope out.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:16 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

Prosper is not out on the prairie and far away from the city.Houses are not cheap and you can get alot more for your money in many other suburbs around the metroplex.Property taxes are high in Prosper and lots are large.The up keep alone is an added cost.Closer in depends on where you are commuting to.For example,I work in the Legacy area and have no need to be close to downtown Dallas.I really like Grapevine....it is a wonderful,affordable community with many great schools.As houses get older ,they obviously need updating.Some people love the look and feel of an older neighborhood while others do not.I do not think old vs new equates to worse or better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas