U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 04:21 PM

48 posts, read 140,525 times

Advertisements

I need new glasses, and I must get them by the end of the year to use my vision benefit. My insurance company provides a long list of places to go, but I don't know which ones are good and which ones to avoid. Plus, it would be nice to have a decent selection.

Recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 06:19 PM

133 posts, read 382,404 times
I'm not sure of any places in Richardson or Plano for eye glasses. I work at an optometrist's office Lewisville, so I'm only really familiar with the practices and opticians around this area.

Places like LensCrafters and EyeMasters are good, and they can almost always get your glasses ready for you in about an hour. Since it's closer to the end of the year and people are using their insurances up, it may take a little longer, but not much. If you have an odd prescription, LensCrafters and EyeMasters may have to special order the lenses for your glasses, but this is quite rare. The glasses at LensCrafters tend to be more designer frames for a little more money, while those at EyeMasters are the run of the mill frames for a little less. They both have really good selection, though.

I'm not sure about the glasses available or the time frame for getting glasses back at places like Pearle Vision or Sharp Eyes, so check with them too.

Stores like Wal-Mart, Target, Sears, and JCPenney usually always have optical centers, but they usually do not have labs located there in the store, and they have to order the glasses to be made elsewhere, sometimes taking a week or two to get back to you. The selection available at Target, Sears, and JCPenney is really pretty lousy, generally; I have friends who go to Wal-Mart, and they're usually always happy with the selection and outcome.

You can also go to private practices, and they will usually have a place to buy glasses attached to it. They will probably not have labs to make the glasses on the property, so you will have to wait a few weeks before you can get your glasses.

Before you spend all of your insurance benefits on the glasses, though, make sure you ask about their policy on returning glasses if they do not have the right prescription. It can take a little tweaking sometimes on the doctor's part to get the Rx just right, and so a few people may have to get the prescription changed in the glasses. Surprisingly, there are plenty of places that make you pay for this prescription change!! Also, talk to some of the people working at the locations. Unlike some states, employees of glasses stores do not have to be trained for a few years to sell glasses, so some of the newer employees at these locations may be a little uneducated about the way they make the glasses and even the prescriptions you give them.

I would also ask around at your workplace, because your coworkers will have the same insurance as you. Just see where they got their eyes examined, where they got their glasses, and if they were happy with the experience.

Last edited by part_iv; 12-16-2007 at 06:34 PM..

Old 12-17-2007, 11:03 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,887,208 times
We use North Garland Vision on Shiloh at 190 in the Kroger shopping center. They are right on the border of Garland & Richardson. They have a nice selection and have been VERY GOOD about making sure our glasses and contacts all fit properly and are the right perscription.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:23 PM

Thank you for your reply. We must stay within our insurance requirements, which restricts us to optometrist offices. We are with VSP. I'd love go to to Lenscrafters because there are so many more choices. Alas, we cannot. I stopped by one optometrist's office locally, and was surprised at how few frames there were to choose from. Plus the tech made a dumb mistake when repairing my present glasses, so I just smiled and walked out. We'll probably go back to our optometrist in Frisco because time is getting short.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:28 PM

Part IV, thank you for your reply. We must stay within our insurance requirements, which restricts us to optometrist offices. We are with VSP. I'd love go to to Lenscrafters because there are so many more choices. Alas, we cannot. I stopped by one optometrist's office locally, and was surprised at how few frames there were to choose from. Plus the tech made a dumb mistake when repairing my present glasses, so I just smiled and walked out. We'll probably go back to our optometrist in Frisco because there is a problem with my hubby's sunglasses and his warranty is still in effect.

Momof2dfw, Thanks for the recommendation. I will give them a try. I have found it is always better to go with referrals, so I appreciate you taking the time to pass this one one.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:35 PM

2,289 posts, read 4,248,009 times
Sandy,

Dr. Bollish at North Garland Vision is my eye doctor. DH sees Dr. Suder. I wear contacts but I've always had good service from the office.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 12,196 times
Eye Pieces in Shops at Legacy.

Designer Eyewear, accepts VSP.

Gucci, Theo, Armani, Dolce, Prada, Chanel, Prodesign. Seriously those and more and you get free lenses and $150 off frames.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:59 AM

73 posts, read 87,871 times
SandyG, I have VSP and have been satisfied with Dr. David Frazee. His office is located at Sharp Optical on Plano Road between Collins and Arapaho. Website here: www.doctordavidfrazee.com

Old 12-21-2007, 01:15 PM

8,640 posts, read 14,780,597 times
Don't know about the insurance situation. We have some vision insurance with Aetna. We have always liked Dr. Joe Bunch in Plano.

www.eyedrbunch.com

Old 12-21-2007, 07:35 PM

62 posts, read 159,912 times
I've been going to Dr. Arnold Stokol for about 20 years. He's on Campbell, west of Coit (in front of Dress Barn) at the light in a freestanding building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas