Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:02 AM

186 posts, read 247,444 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks ,

what areas can meet the below requirements

1- Very safe and family friendly .

2-Must have a college / university inside it as my wife will take ESL classes

3-DART and Bus lines are well connecting it to the rest of the metro

4-Walk and Bike friendly as I will not likely get a car at beginning

I need your recommendations and will appreciate more details of the suggested area merits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 05:29 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Need more info:
1. Where are you working? Need general location (neighborhood, cross streets, zip code), not the name of the company.

2. What is your monthly rent budget, or your home buying price range? What size apartment or home do you expect (number of bedrooms, bathrooms, yard, etc)

3. Define family friendly....what age are your kids? Will you need public schools?

At first glance, Uptown Dallas meets most of your criteria, but it costs $2,000+/mo to rent a 2bd apartment, doesn't have good public schools if your kids are kindergarten & older, and public transit won't be an option if you aren't working in a dart city (Arlington, Frisco, etc).

Old 06-24-2014, 08:19 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,419 times
Without knowing more, I'd suggest Richardson up by 75/Campbell. It is close to both UTD and a couple Community Colleges for the ESL access, mainly families in the area, Dart Rail stop at Arapaho has free parking and the Spring Creek trails at Renner/75 are great for running/biking.

The walk/bike friendly for daily getting around as opposed to recreation is going to be tough. The climate means anything over a block or two will require changing clothes or showering when you get to your destination.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:27 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Without knowing more, I'd suggest Richardson up by 75/Campbell. It is close to both UTD and a couple Community Colleges for the ESL access, mainly families in the area, Dart Rail stop at Arapaho has free parking and the Spring Creek trails at Renner/75 are great for running/biking.

The walk/bike friendly for daily getting around as opposed to recreation is going to be tough. The climate means anything over a block or two will require changing clothes or showering when you get to your destination.
This. Without knowing anything else, Richardson popped to mind immediately. It has housing for pretty much any budget range, it's in a good location for commuting to various places, it's bike-friendly, has DART bus and rail service, and has both UTD and Richland Community College in the city. There are also a TON of churches around here, many of which offer adult ESL. I believe the city of Richardson also offers some kind of adult ESL, maybe through the library? Not sure, but I know the Parks & Rec and Senior Center publications on the cor.gov website would have more info.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:01 AM

212 posts, read 409,982 times
The OP asked specifically about Richardson in a thread a couple days ago. Not sure if he is simply looking for more choices or wasn't happy with what Richardson offers. OP's reservations about an "urban" lifestyle in that thread suggests Uptown would not be a fit. In addition to Richardson, OP might look in Addison around Brookhaven CC and south central and east Plano.

If public transportation is a must, go to the DART website, look at the route maps that get you to your work and other frequently visited locations, and then perhaps ask about specific neighborhoods along the route.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:24 AM

Hi all , thanks for your prompt response . Richardson sounds great and yes it offers an Adult education programs for free , However , I am trying to make my choices broader especially , I do not know where will i might find work . I want to know which is better ( Richardson or Irving ) , Both have community college and DART access .

Old 06-24-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Need more info:
1. Where are you working? Need general location (neighborhood, cross streets, zip code), not the name of the company.

2. What is your monthly rent budget, or your home buying price range? What size apartment or home do you expect (number of bedrooms, bathrooms, yard, etc)

3. Define family friendly....what age are your kids? Will you need public schools?

At first glance, Uptown Dallas meets most of your criteria, but it costs $2,000+/mo to rent a 2bd apartment, doesn't have good public schools if your kids are kindergarten & older, and public transit won't be an option if you aren't working in a dart city (Arlington, Frisco, etc).

Will move without a Job as my only choice right now

Rent budget depends , for an apartment I can pay $900 / 1 BR or for 2BR house / condo $1400

I mean by Family Friendly , safety , parks , activities , lot of families and fewer singles / college students also in my case as a Muslim , I need a mosque / Islamic center and presence of Halal food options

Old 06-24-2014, 12:07 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domabozo View Post

I mean by Family Friendly , safety , parks , activities , lot of families and fewer singles / college students also in my case as a Muslim , I need a mosque / Islamic center and presence of Halal food options
Richardson it is. There's a big mosque and several halal meat markets and restaurants.

You may have a difficult time finding somewhere to rent without verifiable income. You may have to stay in an extended stay hotel for a few weeks until you find a job.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domabozo View Post
Will move without a Job as my only choice right now

Rent budget depends , for an apartment I can pay $900 / 1 BR or for 2BR house / condo $1400

Then Richardson is where you should go.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Then Richardson is where you should go.
Yes, definitely! I can't think of a better option anywhere else in DFW.

OP should plan to get a car ASAP as being dart dependent will severely limit his job search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas