Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 04:00 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,661 times

Advertisements

lorshindal,

Two things:

For rents in uptown, I can serve as a limited data point: I recently just got an apartment (this weekend), and we couldn't find a decent 2 BR (safe, close to fun uptown but far enough to not be surrounded by drunk people) for under $1350-$1400 a month.

I know you can get studios in the $600-$800 range, and true 1 BRs are around $1000-$1100.

We ended up getting a place in Addison ($1200). It's convenient to a ton of restaurants and bars (thus satisfying our yuppie cravings) but a little more centrally located for us (work in plano).

As for Indian food, there are a ton of good indian restaurants here. What are you looking for? Best Indian buffet? Best fancy Indian? Best hole in the wall? Best chicken Makhani? A quick run through in my head counts about 15 that i can think of, and i'm sure more if I thought about it some more. Maybe I will make a list...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 04:26 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Didn't say it did, but if you're having trouble finding hole-in-the-wall places you are not looking hard enough. Sorry, but that's the honest truth.

You'll have better luck finding what you're looking for in Dallas itself than out in the suburbs; didn't you say in another thread that you live in Plano? There's your problem right there!
Yep - I live in Plano. May move to Murphy for ethnic cuisine Seriously though, you may be right.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:30 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
Speaking of high class cuisine,, I miss CA's "El Pollo Loco" (spelling?). For $4.50, that was decent fast food.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:07 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
That would make sense, since this is Texas and not California. Wouldn't it be boring if everywhere was the same?

I didn't see anything in California that you couldn't find here, though.
Produce and fresh fish (yes you get fresh fish here but still has to ride on a plane to get here) are better in California. Overall Dallas is not really hurting for anything in the food department though.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:14 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Produce and fresh fish (yes you get fresh fish here but still has to ride on a plane to get here) are better in California. Overall Dallas is not really hurting for anything in the food department though.
That's because a lot of produce is grown in California and its major cities are close to the coast.

We do have a coast in Texas too, you know. People keep forgetting that.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
That's because a lot of produce is grown in California and its major cities are close to the coast.

We do have a coast in Texas too, you know. People keep forgetting that.

LOL my bad, I did forget that. With regards to the cities close to the coast and food grown in California, well, that's the point. Those are things which California can claim as making it *special.* One of the hallmarks of "California cuisine" is use of locally grown, fresh produce. I'm not knocking Texas cuisine, I'm one of those guys who would eat red meat with every meal if his arteries would allow it .

Old 12-17-2007, 09:25 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
LOL my bad, I did forget that. With regards to the cities close to the coast and food grown in California, well, that's the point. Those are things which California can claim as making it *special.* One of the hallmarks of "California cuisine" is use of locally grown, fresh produce. I'm not knocking Texas cuisine, I'm one of those guys who would eat red meat with every meal if his arteries would allow it .
We do grow produce in this state, too. Y'know, besides cows.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
We do grow produce in this state, too. Y'know, besides cows.
Well of course, the cows gotta eat the grass beside them before I eat the cow!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 AM

47 posts, read 170,500 times
Why are you leaving LA? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas