Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 10:53 PM

20 posts, read 113,742 times

Advertisements

What are the liquor laws in Frisco (and/or the surrounding area? Yesterday I discovered that liquor stores are closed all day on Sunday. This evening (Monday) I attempted to go back to the liquor store on 423- a part of the store was open that sold beer and wine, but the hard liquor half of the store was closed.

I just moved from a city where beer, wine, AND liquor were sold not only in liquor stores but also in the grocery stores at least until midnight seven days a week. It doesn't bother me that I can't buy it on Sundays or in the grocery stores (although it was super convenient to buy when and where you want) but it's frustrating to keep going to the store when it is closed. I am having a hard time figuring out the liquor laws in this area.

I live in Denton county. Will someone explain to me where I can buy what at what time? I don't want to get yelled at in the grocery store for attempting to buy wine on the wrong day at the wrong time and I also would just like to see what the hard liquor laws are in black and white.

Thanks so much people. I really love Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 07:54 AM

686 posts, read 2,435,868 times
this might shed a little light on the subject as far as hours of sales are concerned: http://www.tabc-training.com/texas-h...uor-sales.html

I think the laws are a bit silly myself. I don't see the point of not allowing alcohol to be sold in grocery stores alongside beer and wine, or at least be sold during the same hours.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:09 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
Welcome to Texas! The liquor laws here are archaic, but they are slowly changing. There still are some hard line prohibitionists who think alcohol is the devil.

I know you can't but beer and wine until after 7am Monday thru Saturday, and you can't buy beer and wine until after noon on Sunday. there is a totally different set of laws concerning liquor. Also you can only buy alcohol until a certain hour of the late night/early morning.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:52 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
Ah, alcohol sales in Texas. They vary from dry to moist to semi-wet to wet. Some cities allow all liquor along with beer and wine to be sold with the exception of certain days/times. Others are completely dry and require private club membership to even enjoy a beer with dinner. Then there are the cities that allow beer and wine only to be sold at grocery stores, etc.

It's getting a bit better. When I first moved here it was a total mishmash, but over time most cities around here have gone to allowing beer and wine sales along with dropping the private club membership requirement.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:53 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
I thought our ways were okay even after many moving here complained about them till I found out there are some states that the beer and liquor stores are STATE OWNED!!!!!! YIKES! What is it, New Jersey where they still have a "blue law" and you can't buy it on Sunday at all???? I know it is one state in the northeast. I'll take our free enterprise beer/wine, liquor sales w/ the goofy wet/dry areas and all over state owned stores.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:36 PM

583 posts, read 2,633,241 times
SC has blue laws also. No purchases (with the exception of food) AT ALL until 1:30pm on Sunday. Personally I look forward to the day when I can run into Market St and buy all the fixings for a margarita.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:55 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
Is SC the state that sells you a little airplane bottle of liquor and a separate mixer? Someone was telling me about that and I swear it was a Carolina.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:48 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
I believe there is no liquor sold in Utah at all, and the beer is wear watered down crap with like 2-3% alcohol.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:35 PM

20 posts, read 113,742 times
Default Thanks MysteryMachineBl

Thank you for clearing all that up with your link. It was very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: