Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
I think that was 20 years back.
A bit more recent:

Inside The 1 Percent's Texas Enclave | Mother Jones

"...No African Americans owned homes there until 2003, when mortgage officer Karen Watson purchased a house on ritzy Beverly Drive. "Guess who's coming to dinner—and staying for awhile?" wrote the local paper, Park Cities People. According to the 2010 census, Highland Park is 94.4 percent white (PDF). In 2005, Highland Park High School students celebrating "thug day" and "fiesta day" came to class dressed in Afro wigs and traditional Mexican dresses stuffed with pillows. (The previous year, some had celebrated "trailer trash day" by dressing as their teachers.)"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:37 AM

263 posts, read 410,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
A bit more recent:

Inside The 1 Percent's Texas Enclave | Mother Jones

"...No African Americans owned homes there until 2003, when mortgage officer Karen Watson purchased a house on ritzy Beverly Drive. "Guess who's coming to dinner—and staying for awhile?" wrote the local paper, Park Cities People. According to the 2010 census, Highland Park is 94.4 percent white (PDF). In 2005, Highland Park High School students celebrating "thug day" and "fiesta day" came to class dressed in Afro wigs and traditional Mexican dresses stuffed with pillows. (The previous year, some had celebrated "trailer trash day" by dressing as their teachers.)"
This is off-topic but the statistic I found surprising in the article is that 72% Parkie households make less than 200K a year, and median household income is 176k! I would have expected much higher, although it is likely average net worth may be several millions or higher.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:58 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
This is off-topic but the statistic I found surprising in the article is that 72% Parkie households make less than 200K a year, and median household income is 176k! I would have expected much higher, although it is likely average net worth may be several millions or higher.
You're thinking W2 income. What isn't counted is 'wealth' as in savings, family money, mailbox millionaire status and such. I'd rather have my income coming from dividends taxed at 15% than max out at 37.5%. Also, many of the homes are paid for cash and the total value of the house is again an asset that doesn't show up as income.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:36 AM

263 posts, read 410,641 times
Quote:
You're thinking W2 income. What isn't counted is 'wealth' as in savings, family money, mailbox millionaire status and such. I'd rather have my income coming from dividends taxed at 15% than max out at 37.5%. Also, many of the homes are paid for cash and the total value of the house is again an asset that doesn't show up as income.
Curious - is dividend income not counted in these databases as income? I know it is taxed differently / lower, but is it not considered income for general documentary purposes?

Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
Curious - is dividend income not counted in these databases as income? I know it is taxed differently / lower, but is it not considered income for general documentary purposes?
Not sure. But while they may list it as income, the value of stock or savings is likely not included.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:08 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,789 times
Quote:
Not sure. But while they may list it as income, the value of stock or savings is likely not included.
My understanding is that Census numbers (American Community Surveys, actually) do ask for all income, which would include dividends/cap gains/interest/wage and salary/whatever (as well as tax-free items like muni income).

That said, we're talking median income, and PC income has a skewed distribution to the high end (check out the mean vs. median for household income). Yes, the surveys have margins of error for all the reasons you'd expect, but the census has some very sophisticated statistical modelling they use to take that into account. Still, remember that a value of "X" is really "X, plus-or-minus Y".

Last, as GreyDay notes, there's a big difference between "income" and "net worth". There are likely many families in PC that only take out as much income as they need to sustain their desired lifestyle, while allowing assets to appreciate as much as possible (and without recognizing gain or taxable income if possible). The family with 10 million in assets taking 200K in qualified dividends is in a much different situation than the family headed by a youngish doctor earning 400K annually but with 300K student debt and little net worth accumulated so far.

ETA- FYI, 2008-2012 American Community Survey data, Highland Park had a median household income of 213,194 and a mean household income of 302,248. University Park had a median of 164,273 and a mean of 240,975.

By contrast, Southlake has a median household income of 181,122 and a mean household income of 222,230. 55.5% of all SL households earn under 200K. Note the higher mean to median for PC compared to SL, reflecting the skew towards VERY high income households in PC.

Last edited by synchronicity; 07-15-2014 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: added some stats

Old 07-15-2014, 12:20 PM

19 posts, read 22,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDFW View Post
I was an international student coming from China. Now I have settled my family in north Plano. My father is visiting me. Everyday, after I come home from work, he would report to me that " a white guy greeted him when he's out walking" or "a white woman smiled at him". He really appreaciates and enjoys that as it's impossible in my own country. He always tells me he really wants to have a conversation with Americans, but he can only speak "sit, stay" in English to my dogs.

For myself, I find it's hard to have a deeper conversation with white Americans besides "did you have a good weekend" that kind of topic. When speak in my own language with my own people, I am a fun person, and we have a lot more topics. I have been thinking about the reasons. A lot of subjects we talk about are considered offensive and too private to Americans. You can't talk this, you can't say that, or too much information. I told my dad you will never have a great conversation with Americans even if you spoke the English, because your subjects are mostly controversial and they don't like that.

I really wanna know what you guys talk about when you become friends, besides "weather" "weekend", "sports"?
you basically mean you cant gossip with americans

Old 07-15-2014, 12:29 PM

39 posts, read 72,615 times
I'm learning SO much from this thread. And I appreciate everyone's honesty... reason #271 I love this site. I've had a message regarding where on hedgecoxe the house is makes a difference. FWIW, it's on the south side...Zoned for Mathews elementary & Schimelfenig middle.

I sure look forward to being able to share what I know about the DFW area one day!

Old 07-15-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"I really wanna know what you guys talk about when you become friends, besides "weather" "weekend", "sports"?"

Let's see, I just talked to one of my friends about which color I should paint the front door. I told her about a huge shoe sale and which pair I bought. We also discussed what she should pack for her trip (long sleeve vs short sleeve and so on). And I listened to her talk about how much she hated her daughters new boyfriend.
Totally agree & made me laugh... (the bf part) and because it's what's "normal" to me!
Stuff I would talk about with both a close friend or a stranger if we were stuck on an elevator together.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keribeth818 View Post
Thanks for this! As an aside, can I say how pleased I am with the direction this thread took? A real effort on both sides to understand other cultures that may be unfamiliar. It doesn't happen as often as it should...

Anyways, I think in a lot circumstances Americans probably discuss the same controversial topics with their friends. Sure there are more superficial relationships that never get past the pleasantries. I would say I have many many acquaintances, but only a few real friends. Does that make sense? Im not sure this is the case in other cultures.
YES. Thank you so much for your input too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: