Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:41 PM

294 posts, read 230,879 times

Advertisements

Judge Judy would say.. Don't play house..Wait till your married!!!!! Better for the one with the higher income to do it alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 06:59 AM

81 posts, read 110,605 times
really different perspective here. You're both really young, and you have a chance to kill that student loan debt. I would say that you should get married, find the smallest, cheapest apartment you can live with, both get 2nd jobs, pay off the student loan debt, and then buy a home.

I say this as a teacher who is losing his very valuable stipend this year. I have teenagers. My wife works overtime at work, and I already work a 2nd job, every weekend. I have an interview this afternoon for a better 2nd job. The job itself is better simply because it is closer to home.

Also, don't spend more than you need to on a house because of the property taxes. Our neighborhood's appraisal went up 12-15% this year, and that announcement came on the heels of me barely being able to pay the property taxes last year. Iow, leave plenty of cushion for increases in property taxes. In 5 years, your property taxes could easily go up 50%. $5000 this year, then $7500 in five years. Can you picture that?

Old 07-24-2014, 08:20 AM

28 posts, read 36,803 times
My advice would be to buy a house that is affordable on one income.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:11 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,287,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixxi View Post
My advice would be to buy a house that is affordable on one income.
If they make equal money, that would be a 100k house. Do you know any nice 100k houses in Dallas?

Old 07-24-2014, 03:24 PM

63 posts, read 108,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esk1 View Post
Yes 20% You definitely don't want to pay PMI

Also if you are using an online mortgage calculator they usually have property tax pretty low in the 1.5% range. Since we don't pay income tax we pay much more property tax that most states so makes sure you look up the city property tax rate were your interested (usually 2-2.8% around dfw) otherwise you will think your going to be paying less a month than you will. The insurance rates they estimate are probably pretty average and can be undercut if you go with a private seller.
definitely great advice here. differences in property tax rates can really make a dent in the budget if not planned accordingly.

For those people that don't want to work the cost of PMI into their monthly budgets, some lenders will allow for the payment to be made up front, in cash, at the time of mortgage origination.

On the otherhand, for those who itemize their tax returns, and earn less than 120k, PMI is deductible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: