U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,684 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in Garland unfortunately I work in Plano Tx and the gas prices are driving us to the poor house and we are looking to move closer and love the area of park cities are there any 1bed with a den or 2 bedroom apartments, duplexes, condos, townhouses, or small houses in that area that are under $1200.00 a month we have driven around a little but to know avail .. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 12:15 PM

611 posts, read 736,215 times
There are set units in that price range but you usually have to drive by and get lucky. Look at blocks around the edges of town and near the high school. Some blocks to look at are the 4500 blocks of Glenwick and grassmere, 4100 block of hyer, grassmere, Druid, also 4500 blocks of westway and fairway. There are some older apartment buildings next to the field on 4100 block of lovers lane. 3400 blocks of streets across from SMU, including Haynie and whatever that first cross street is...dickens? Westminster? Also Abbott immediately south of Knox. All these are in park cities and should have a few in your range from time to time. Mostly 1 bedroom in that range.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:24 PM

954 posts, read 1,483,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimandryan14 View Post
My husband and I live in Garland unfortunately I work in Plano Tx and the gas prices are driving us to the poor house and we are looking to move closer and love the area of park cities are there any 1bed with a den or 2 bedroom apartments, duplexes, condos, townhouses, or small houses in that area that are under $1200.00 a month we have driven around a little but to know avail .. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks
Why park cities and not Plano itself? Just curious because you can possibly get something better in plano at the same price point.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:33 PM

699 posts, read 832,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Why park cities and not Plano itself? Just curious because you can possibly get something better in plano at the same price point.
I was wondering the same thing. You're still going to spend way more on gas than you need to. Plano & surrounding areas have much more affordable apartments.

You could look into some of those apartments off Lomo Alto between University & Lovers. They are HPISD and literally across the street from UP city limits, but most are actually City of Dallas.

Anything you find in UP in that price range is going to be older & lacking some amenities, so it just depends what you can live with. For example, some of those older buildings have communal laundry, no dishwasher, smaller sq. footage, no covered parking etc. You can't live in the most expensive area of Dallas & anticipate the same amenities you'd get elsewhere.

You might also look off Abbott in HP or maybe North Oaklawn on streets bordering parts of HP. Those are probable going to be the extent of your options.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,684 times
Well yes Plano is better but I haven't found anything available until December ... From Garland to west Plano is 30 miles one way, it's 15 miles from University Park to West Plano it's about 15 miles. My son lives with us as well so trying to find a half way mark between his work and mine so that area is about right

Old 07-26-2014, 07:00 AM

2,259 posts, read 8,812,362 times
Look into the Village apartments - very convenient to 75.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:17 AM

954 posts, read 1,483,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimandryan14 View Post
Well yes Plano is better but I haven't found anything available until December ... From Garland to west Plano is 30 miles one way, it's 15 miles from University Park to West Plano it's about 15 miles. My son lives with us as well so trying to find a half way mark between his work and mine so that area is about right
Why not Richardson? Great school district and possibly better location for you than UP?

Old 07-27-2014, 09:02 AM

718 posts, read 1,144,529 times
I would definitely looking in Richardson in your case , the commute would be better and the availability much higher for your price range.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:46 AM

4,153 posts, read 7,962,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
Look into the Village apartments - very convenient to 75.
This would be my suggestion as well. The cheapest apartment we found in UP back when we first moved here was $1,600 and the last thing you want to do is buy gasoline here! The gas generally runs .50 a gallon more than in Garland...I know, I live in UP and mountain bike ride out near Garland. I always buy my fuel in Garland. That $1,600 apartment was a total dive as well! Anyhow, the Village apartments are just beside UP on the other side of 75 and slightly more affordable. The area is very nice...and you can find more affordable fuel.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:11 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,734,307 times
Do you have children? Othewise, some of the older apts near Knox or Uptown off Mckinney may be a much better and cheaper fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or