U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:13 PM

6 posts, read 13,797 times

Advertisements

I understand there are MANY threads about moving to the DFW area but I'm still torn on where my family should live. Any and all assistance is appreciated.

I will be working on "Sherry Lane" in the north University Park area. Of course, I'd like to minimize commute time but want to ensure we find the "right" area.

I have a wife and two boys - ages 4 and 1 - and good schools are a top priority. However, so is community (eg like-minded families, parks, park districts, etcetera). We've been looking in Southlake and West Plano. Our home price range is $500-$725k.

We love Southlake but are concerned about the commute. Google Maps says my commute would be approximately 30 miles and 45 minutes during rush hour. Does this sound realistic? We understand West Plano would be a slightly shorter commute - 15 miles and 30 minutes during rush hour - but we understand Southlake schools may be slightly better and Southlake has a better (family friendly) community.

Based upon the above mentioned, can people share their thoughts on where we should live? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 05:43 AM

11,921 posts, read 22,188,508 times
Lakewood. Meets all of your criteria and has two of the top elementary schools in Dallas (Lakewood & Stonewall Jackson). Your commute will be 10-15 minites without ever getting on a highway (maybe you'll need to be on 75 for 2 exits going against traffic....but you get the point). It's a beautiful, family centered neighborhood with evehjing you are asking and more of a close- knit feel than Plano (just due to Plano's sheer size). Yes, the middle and high schools are not as strong as the Elemetary schools right now, but you have 7ish years before you'll have to deal with that. You can go private or move into the Park Cities then if you need to.

Southlake's lovely, but it's a haul.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:01 AM

606 posts, read 729,335 times
+1 for M streets or Lakewood. Another thought though - Once in a while there is actually a liveable single family home in HPISD at the upper end of your price range. Have you looked at 4301 Druid? It is close to the high school (mostly a negative) but a great family area with top schools and you can walk to shops on lovers lane, CVS for diapers and milk, and in a couple of years tennis, swim, and gymnastics summer camps for the kids at HPHS.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:00 AM

5,663 posts, read 4,370,164 times
Southlake is too far; the commute would be very difficult. Stay on the east side.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:08 AM

16,092 posts, read 36,514,867 times
Yep about 10 - 15 minutes from Lakewood. And no highways or tollways.

As TC said, our elementary schools are great. Our secondary schools are the only in Dallas which offer IB and several other programs. We have a very dynamic area coordinator and school board rep - they have been able to do a lot of things to increase local control and autonomy.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,853,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Lakewood. Meets all of your criteria and has two of the top elementary schools in Dallas (Lakewood & Stonewall Jackson). Your commute will be 10-15 minites without ever getting on a highway (maybe you'll need to be on 75 for 2 exits going against traffic....but you get the point). It's a beautiful, family centered neighborhood with evehjing you are asking and more of a close- knit feel than Plano (just due to Plano's sheer size). Yes, the middle and high schools are not as strong as the Elemetary schools right now, but you have 7ish years before you'll have to deal with that. You can go private or move into the Park Cities then if you need to.

Southlake's lovely, but it's a haul.
Lakewood is ok, but I have concerns about the middle school and high school (real big concerns). Thus, I might look at the White Rock area of Lake Highlands. (you would head straight up Northwest Highway with a fairly easy 15 minute commute). Lake Highlands schools are not perfect, but better than DISD. I would also look at the Pearce area. That commute would not be bad and the schools are far better.

When moving into Lakewood many people assume that they can just alter their plans in 7 years, but you never know for sure. For example, prices in Lakewood are at an all time high, but no one knows if you will be under water in 7 years. Moreover, interest rates are low, but if the interest rates raise to 8 percent it might be cost prohibitive to move. Finally, you can never assume that the Park Cities or private schools will work out for you. In 7 years the average house in the Park Cities could top 2 million.

Futher, I would consider Southlake depending on your job. Numerous people in Southlake work in DT Dallas and your commute would be shorter than that commute. But, I also say it depends on your job. For example, if you have a job with flexible hours (come in early, leave early- no weekends), SL makes more sense. If you have a 8-6 job, SL commute would be hard (but doable).

Finally, I think it depends on what kind of house you are looking for and will be happy living in. SL homes, for the most part, will be bigger and newer. (but maybe not as much charm).

Old 07-28-2014, 01:41 PM

5,663 posts, read 4,370,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creditrepairdallas View Post
I'd look in the Bishop Art District if you can afford it.
Really? How are the schools for kids in that area? I haven't heard they are particularly good.....

Old 07-28-2014, 04:41 PM

11,921 posts, read 22,188,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Really? How are the schools for kids in that area? I haven't heard they are particularly good.....
There is a good elementary school there (Rosemont) but the suggestion makes absolutely no sense for OP with better options closer to work.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:33 PM

2,092 posts, read 2,563,831 times
+1 for Lakewood and the M Streets! Easy commute, excellent homes in your budget, outstanding elementary schools, plus it's just a great area to live in!

Old 07-29-2014, 08:08 AM

6 posts, read 13,797 times
Hi. Thank you to everyone who responded! Really appreciate everyone's comments! Very helpful. Based upon everyone's comments, I have the following follow-up question:

What is everyone's thoughts about the Prestonwood area? As I understand they too have good elementary and middle schools (but would most likely have to goto private high schools as with Lakewood area). I ask because it's obvious you get more house for your money in Prestonwood vs. Lakewood (eg. $500-$725k gets you about 3 bedrooms and 2500 square feet in Lakewood vs. 4 bedrooms and 3500 square feet in Prestonwood). I understand Presonwood is slightly farther commute than Lakewood but not a material difference? How would you compare/contrast the two (Prestonwood and Lakewood) neighborhoods?

Again, schools and neighborhood are top priorities. However, I told schools (elementary and middle) are relatively the same and both are "good" neighborhoods (but Lakewood has slightly more affluent families). Are these statements true? Any other comments on comparing/contrasting these two neighborhoods?

Many thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas