Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:43 PM

4 posts, read 15,598 times

Advertisements

Simply log on to the school district web site, if you know it, and you can find out the scores. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 11:24 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfib View Post
I am looking for a good public school district and this thread has been helpful.
I had heard HP was top notch but had concerns about comments above on how they treat outsiders. I assume HP is predominantly affluent white families. I am Asian and my daughter is half white so don't know if she would be treated differently or not. I will need to visit these schools and talk to other parents to get a firsthand look. I don't know the area to the west/northwest of Dallas so I need to look into Southlake, Coppell, Grapevine, etc. I've been around Plano a lot so that seems like a good possibility. I was surprised to see Garland on their (albeit on the poster's "silver list"). I work in Garland and Rowlett currently so living close to work with great schools would be nice but I am willing to move to other parts of DFW. Any more input into public schools would be great.
So why not just live in Garland close to work??? I live in Garland and have kids in the GISD and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! Been VERY pleased. Your daughter would fit in just fine in the GISD. Garland has magnet programs starting in kindergarten. The high schools offer a wide range of studies depending on the students interests. If you want out of the metroplex a little bit further then try Rockwall. I would NOT want to commute from Southlake, Coppell or Grapevine to Garland/Rowlett - YUCK! Live close to work and enjoy time with your family instead of commuting. You could be close enough to go have lunch w/ her, attend school functions, etc. Makes a HUGE difference moreso than being just in a district w/ "top scores" that don't mean diddly-do if a child does not have a parent present and involved in their education.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:54 PM

7 posts, read 27,567 times
Keep in mind that Newsweek determines the "best schools" in America by how many AP tests are TAKEN--how WELL students SCORE is not taken into account. Some schools have pushed AP testing (by using incentives, such as drawings for cars, iPods, etc.) on regular students in order to get a higher place on this list.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:58 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthlakeSince1996 View Post
Some schools have pushed AP testing (by using incentives, such as drawings for cars, iPods, etc.) on regular students in order to get a higher place on this list.
Really? Does Southlake do this?

Old 03-02-2008, 06:57 PM

109 posts, read 477,711 times
Since were on Schools how is Rockwall ISD? No gangs, etc
Are they warm and welcoming?

Old 03-03-2008, 08:09 AM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Rockwall use to be a small sleepy community. The area has really taken off within the last 5 years or so. The only crime you would have to deal with would be teenagers getting bored and doing things teenagers do. The town is very safe in my opinion. The schools are good for the most part but to be honest most of them or so new they really don't have a real track record.
I would have on problem living there.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:14 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsangia View Post
Since were on Schools how is Rockwall ISD? No gangs, etc
Are they warm and welcoming?
I have many friends in Rockwall and they all love the schools. They all have kids from kindergarten thru high school. It is still a "small town" feel in the school spirit way and such. As with any and all districts and areas your going to have the kids that just don't know how to act or want to cause trouble but that is unavoidable anywhere you go. Rockwall does have a lot of volunteers and community spirit so that helps in keeping the schools, kids and community active.

As far as a "track record" Rockwall High School has been around for a LONG time as have some of the elem schools and middle schools. I have friends that have kids at the older schools and the newer schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas