Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:35 PM

164 posts, read 790,056 times

Advertisements

Many of you who have lived here your whole life may not know this. The water in the DFW area taste awfull! Is there something wrong? Should I be concerned? The water tastes like a mixture of mud, dirty farm pond and sulfur. This cannot be good for you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 08:43 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,119,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainPharmD View Post
Many of you who have lived here your whole life may not know this. The water in the DFW area taste awfull! Is there something wrong? Should I be concerned? The water tastes like a mixture of mud, dirty farm pond and sulfur. This cannot be good for you...
http://www.sustainlane.com/us-city-r...er_quality.jsp

Old 12-20-2007, 08:48 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,378,272 times
The water is okay to me in the city of Dallas. I think there is another water company for Collin County and other parts.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:01 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,597,557 times
I was about to say, I live in Arlington and actually it is some of the BEST tasting city water I have ever tasted. If you live in one of the other cities like Bedford for instance, I know for a fact their water is horrible. So you can't make a blanket statement for the whole metroplex like that. You have to be specific.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:12 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,212,783 times
In the summer there can be the occasional algae bloom in the lakes, that is really the only thing that will change the taste/appearance region wide. If your water is that bad, it may be the pipes leading up to you house or around them. I had water quality issues where I used to live. While I was living there I actually had dirt in the water coming out of my faucets.

How old is the home you live in?

Are there large trees nearby?

Is there construction or excavation going on near where you live?

Any of these things can make your water taste or smell bad.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:02 AM

5,640 posts, read 24,856,716 times
From Dallas water dept...

"All water has its own unique taste and odor characteristics. Dallas, like many other water suppliers, occasionally experiences taste and odor changes. In the summer and early fall, algae in area lakes occasionally give water an earthy taste and odor. Temperature change and excessive rain also can alter taste. These changes do not affect the safety of the water."

Old 12-21-2007, 07:56 AM

164 posts, read 790,056 times
I work in North Dallas and have lived the last two months in West Plano. I just moved to Allen last week. It is not specific to any area, its everywhere. The water taste absolutely terrible at every restaurant I have ate at all as well as the two places I have lived and where I work. Something is wrong when I drink a glass of water and belch up the bad taste for a half hour.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:58 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,728,985 times
Oh my gosh - the water here (Dallas) is much better than the water we had in FL - and that was with a water softener. I always ask for a glass of water at a restaurant, and I haven't noticed any difference. Where did you move from?

Old 12-21-2007, 08:58 AM

3,809 posts, read 8,696,199 times
Perhaps you have an allergy to something that is in our local water system that is causing that. I'd speak to a doctor.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:14 AM

415 posts, read 1,712,823 times
Some people have the ability to 'taste' water (like cats) which I believe stems from certain enzymes in saliva. I think it also depends greatly on what you're used to. I prefer hard water over soft or reverse osmosis, but find all unfiltered water in Texas and Oklahoma disgusting. Believe it or not, there are worse places though. I've liked the water best in Milwaukee & Chicago.

Tap water has a lot of stuff in it. Chlorine, which is what the cities claim make the water safe, is not terribly good for you. Nor is fluoride. Most of the trace minerals aren't bad for humans, but are for plumbing fixtures. There can be other things in water that OSHA says are fine, but I'm not sure I trust that totally.

There's nothing wrong with you and no need to see a doctor. See a plumber to get a whole house water filter installed, carry or order bottled water, and learn to like drinks with little or no ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas