Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,350 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am current in the research stage of permanently relocating to the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
If possible I would like to know from some locals or those who know the area, where someone like me would feel the most comfortable.

In a 30 single white male who likes to go out and have fun in the city but also likes to be around nature (meaning not to crowded in terms of people). The rents shouldn't be too high ($800 should rent you an apartment) and the area safe.

It doesn't have to be in Dallas or Fort Worth I would also be interested in some of the other cities (like Plano or Arlington, etc) in the area. As long as I may somewhat easily reach Dallas at whill with my car.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 08:34 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
Do you know where you will be working? I wouldn't get set on a certain area if you don't know yet. DFW is way too big and long commutes should be avoided.

The things you want conflict. Most single people your age want an urban setting to be around other young professionals. While there are great urban neighborhoods that meet you're needs they are expensive. Anything by the Katy Trail is out of your budget. You may find something under $800 near White Rock Lake, but it will be challenging. I would automatically knock Arlington off the list. Most of the apartments there are run down, and very few young people living there. They have a few good parks, but the landscape of the city consists mainly of suburban sprawl on steroids with lots of 6 lane roads lined with apartment complexes, strip malls, and heavy traffic. Plano is about the same, but more boring.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 08-01-2014 at 08:46 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 02:09 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
You could find an apartment in North Arlington around River Legacy Park for that range. Lots of young people and pretty easy drive into Dallas or Fort Worth. zip code 76012

Old 08-02-2014, 02:10 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Do you know where you will be working? I wouldn't get set on a certain area if you don't know yet. DFW is way too big and long commutes should be avoided.

The things you want conflict. Most single people your age want an urban setting to be around other young professionals. While there are great urban neighborhoods that meet you're needs they are expensive. Anything by the Katy Trail is out of your budget. You may find something under $800 near White Rock Lake, but it will be challenging. I would automatically knock Arlington off the list. Most of the apartments there are run down, and very few young people living there. They have a few good parks, but the landscape of the city consists mainly of suburban sprawl on steroids with lots of 6 lane roads lined with apartment complexes, strip malls, and heavy traffic. Plano is about the same, but more boring.
Hi Ronnie, when was the last time you were in North Arlington at River Legacy Park and all its joining bike paths? Have you been to the area where the Opry House is and Babes & the Mellow Mushroom? Just wondering how current your impressions are......

Old 08-02-2014, 04:55 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
The DFW metro is composed of 9 counties over 9,000 square miles.

Without knowing the work location, your commute could be 5 minutes or it could be over an hour at peak congestion. You could be spending $50-100/month on tolls.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,350 times
Thank you guys for all the responses. I would probably just find a temporary dwelling at first, something to stay at while I am out job hunting. Perhaps I am underestimating the size of the city, but then again I am current living in NYC and am used to long congested commutes, be it via the subway or car. The NYC thing is also the reason why I am looking for a more 'quiet' area, close to a big city. I do like all the amenities NYC has to offer but it is way to expensive and crowded and offers very little in terms of nature.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:09 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJsandkrug View Post
Thank you guys for all the responses. I would probably just find a temporary dwelling at first, something to stay at while I am out job hunting. Perhaps I am underestimating the size of the city, but then again I am current living in NYC and am used to long congested commutes, be it via the subway or car. The NYC thing is also the reason why I am looking for a more 'quiet' area, close to a big city. I do like all the amenities NYC has to offer but it is way to expensive and crowded and offers very little in terms of nature.
I have lived in both NYC and Dallas --> there is not one neighborhood or even one single city block (even smack in the heart of urban Dallas) that is anywhere near as noisy or crowded as NYC. Not one.

It seems you are underestimating the sheer size of the metroplex (it covers a much bigger land mass than the city; did the math once and the DFW metroplex is something like 60% of the size of Connecticut). On the flip side, you're far overestimating the look & feel of urban Dallas as compared to NYC. Outside of Uptown/ north end of Downtown, the rest of the city of Dallas is decidedly suburban in feel with lots of green space and trees and even the most dense parts of Dallas have the noise level of the commercial streets lining the quieter city neighborhoods (Brooklyn Heights, Riverdale), not Times Square

Old 08-04-2014, 06:13 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post

You don't know much about Plano if you think that. Plano is far better for a young person that is single than Arlington thanks to the Shops at Legacy. There are actually a lot of young singles who CHOOSE to live in Plano.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
You don't know much about Plano if you think that. Plano is far better for a young person that is single than Arlington thanks to the Shops at Legacy. There are actually a lot of young singles who CHOOSE to live in Plano.

Unless its Oak Lawn or Dallas proper, I have noticed those who post often have limited concrete knowledge of surrounding communities and gives input based on impressions from teenage years.

I dislike when responses are simply "my assessment from when I was 19 years old back a couple of decades ago" instead of valid information. And, its especially ugly when the individual who posts is a "moderator" and a newbie might give special weight thinking a moderator's input might be more valuable.

I used to live in Plano, but it has been so many years that I never respond to inquiries about Plano that address quality of living/neighborhood.

As far as Arlington, I own several properties there and my adult grandson (age 23) lives near Legacy River Park and loves it!! He bikes, runs there and loves the convenience of his location to both Dallas & FTW. He loves the moderate rent he pays for his apartment and his community actually has an organic food coop where they pick up at the apartment clubhouse. Most of the residents are in their 20's - 30's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas