Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 03:45 AM

17 posts, read 65,877 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am in the process of moving back to Dallas. I have lived in the area before, I am kinda familiar with the area. Well, I thought I was. But, it looks like things have changed especially to the areas where it used to be pretty bad, such as the downtown area and medical district.

From I remember, the area around the parkland/ut southwestern used to be very dangerous. Or I heard that it was. But, now I can see the new buildings and they actually looked pretty nice. The area looked pretty cleaned up, although I am not sure how it would be in the dark.

Although I am considering the medical district as it would be a great location for my job, I am also considering the victory park. I noticed that the city has been working on to revive the area and there are many new buildings too. I came across the Arpeggio on the victory ave. I have not yet visited there but it looks so very nice from what I can see in the pictures. I love how "it looks like" I could walk to restaurants and shops there. And the major advantage is that I could easily walk to the NYE countdown at AA on new years eve without worrying about parking. It seems the area is very walkable and safe.
Do you think it is really that safe to walk to places like stores, museums, and nearby parks?

I initially thought that I would move back to uptown/turtle creek where I used to live, but I am leaning toward the victory park as it would be closer to my work(probably by 5 mins or so though), and still walkable. I used to walk or ride a bicycle to grocery stores, post office, and nail salon, when I lived in the turtle creek area and I really enjoyed it.

Would you recommend the victory park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 04:28 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
I've never felt unsafe in Victory Park ever. It's filling in nicely, and the Apreggio is priced really well. I like the restaurants down there, and the easy access to the Katy Trail. You can even walk to the Design District. The only downside to living in Victory would be game day traffic, but if that's not an issue for you, go for it!

Old 08-02-2014, 06:28 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
All the new development and activity in the area makes it about as safe as any Uptown location. However, consider all the traffic at events in the area. You could live off McKinney Avenue in that portion of Uptown and take the trolley across to Victory Park area.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:35 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
Yes, you'll be fine. The new owners of Victory Park seem to be committed to actually turning it into something viable.

You may have some construction noise with the new buildings, re-routed and re-landscaped streets, etc., but the final result should be less of a ghost town and more of a place that people actually want to live in and visit. You can read about in the DMN link below:

Dallas

Old 08-02-2014, 07:53 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Victory Park is very safe, but consider this -> while it would be nice to not fight parking on NYE (1 day a year), you'll likely go to the grocery store or a pharmacy once a week or more. There still aren't any of either within walking distance to Vivtory Park neighborhood. Uptown and Turtle Creek still have significantly better content / mix of commercial space - things you would use every day/week vs the more expensive options in Victory Park.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:59 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
The only downside to living in Victory would be game day traffic, but if that's not an issue for you, go for it!
And by game "day", you mean:
41 home games for the Mavericks, + playoffs
80ish home games for the Stars, + playoffs
50ish other major events @ AAC each year (major concerts, circus, etc

That's signing up for bad traffic & noise roughly every 2-3 nights.

I'm not sure where the apartment complex OP mentioned is, but I would not want to live in the first block or two off of it.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:06 AM

17 posts, read 65,877 times
It looks like the apartment complex is within the very close walking distance from AAC, 3 mins according to google maps. I think it might even be looking over the AAC from the apartment complex. I didn't realize the number of events that go on in the victory park. It seems I would never get away from the noise and crowd ever if I lived in the victory park. It would be absolutely intolerable.

I think I will probably go back to Turtle creek after all. But, good to know that victory park is safe and getting better too. I will have to take the trolley one day.

Thank you all for the information, you guys saved me from making a bad choice.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:01 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I've never felt unsafe in Victory Park ever. It's filling in nicely, and the Apreggio is priced really well. I like the restaurants down there, and the easy access to the Katy Trail. You can even walk to the Design District. The only downside to living in Victory would be game day traffic, but if that's not an issue for you, go for it!
TXTXTX,

As Ronnie mentioned, the Design District and Victory park are right next to each other. The Design District is much quieter and less busy. You may want to consider living in the Design District.

You would avoid the most of the noise and traffic, but you still could still walk to the Victory Park area.

The Design District itself isn't very walkable, though. Turtle Creek would still be the better option, if you want a walkable neighborhood.

The new Trinity Strand Trail/Katy Trail connection provides easy biking access to do your daily errands. There are new restaurants and shops popping up every month in the Design District. http://www.trinitystrand.org/connect.php

On the other side of Trinity river, there is lots of new developments, Trinity Groves is a little foodie hotspot. It's an incubator new restaurant concepts, before the restaurants are opened in other locations.

Last edited by move4ward; 08-03-2014 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: