Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:49 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times

Advertisements

Well, my wife and I have been thinking about putting our home up for sale and moving to a slightly bigger home and several years newer.

There's a lot of reasons why we are looking to move, but I won't bore you with the details.

The problem is that we've found a home we really, really like... but don't really care for the lot location or the location of the development itself. The lot backs up to commercial real estate, namely, a storage facility. The hours of the storage place are from 6am to 8pm.

This new home is a bit farther from the elementary school than our current home... we can walk to school now, and the adjoining park, very easily. That would not be possible with the new home.

The new home has an HOA, but there's no community pool or clubhouse, or anything. It's just like our current home, which we don't like. We really would like to be part of Stonebridge Ranch, but this new development is not. The neighborhood across the street is part of SBR though, but unfortunately we haven't found a home we like in that area.

My main concern is resale. If we decided to purchase this newer home, how much would being located next to a storage facility impact resale? Would most people care about that or not? It may be just a hangup of mine than for most people.

We've thought about just having the home we like built on a lot we like... and we can't justify the cost. It would cost $575k to build the exact same home, same options, on a different lot. The home we are looking at is just 3 years old and selling for $100k less. (Which I think still may be a bit overpriced based on comps and location, but we'll see.)

I'm looking for opinions as to whether we should make an offer or not. We have absolutely no complaints with the home itself, but just not thrilled by location. We're unsure how much weight location should play into this, and whether we should just go for it or not.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 09:13 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
If you are bothered, so will others be. My last home had an alley and fast food places behind it. I was desperate when I bought. Turned out to be really quiet after 10 p.m. unlike some friends who had party-central behind them.

What's the view from the back yard? Any Windows face that direction? Some people will see the value but it will never be worth any similar house in a better location.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:26 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Have you visited the potential new house at night yet? What is the lighting situation - I would think a storage facility would have some pretty bright lighting for security reasons...you'll want to make sure it's not flooding your backyard or into the back windows of the house. Noise probably isn't a concern but lighting definitely could be.

For me, I would never consider property backing up to commercial. If I ever bought, I would expect to get it at a big discount compared to an interior lot - 25% or more. There is one street in my neighborhood that backs up to something seen as an eyesore/ undesirable and those houses go for about 1/3 less than comp homes on any other street. They also take longer to sell, even in a strong market. The ONLY house in my neighborhood that listed this spring and hasn't sold yet is on that street. The price has already come down about 20%, too.

The final dealbreakers would be losing walkability to school and still not being in the neighborhood you really want. If I remember, you have made many posts over the years about wanting to be in Stonebridge Ranch - and were somewhat duped when you bought your current house as to the amenities that came with it? You can always remodel another house over time, but you can't change the neighborhood or the lot location.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:30 AM

It's a fenced backyard (6ft tall) on top of a 2 ft retaining wall. You can just see the tops of the storage buildings behind it, so the view itself isn't really an eyesore or anything. Putting in an 8 ft fence would probably completely hide the storage facility from view. So far, it's been quiet when we've gone to look at the home, but we've only been there 3 times for about 45 min each time.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Have you visited the potential new house at night yet? What is the lighting situation - I would think a storage facility would have some pretty bright lighting for security reasons...you'll want to make sure it's not flooding your backyard or into the back windows of the house. Noise probably isn't a concern but lighting definitely could be.

For me, I would never consider property backing up to commercial. If I ever bought, I would expect to get it at a big discount compared to an interior lot - 25% or more. There is one street in my neighborhood that backs up to something seen as an eyesore/ undesirable and those houses go for about 1/3 less than comp homes on any other street. They also take longer to sell, even in a strong market. The ONLY house in my neighborhood that listed this spring and hasn't sold yet is on that street. The price has already come down about 20%, too.

The final dealbreakers would be losing walkability to school and still not being in the neighborhood you really want. If I remember, you have made many posts over the years about wanting to be in Stonebridge Ranch - and were somewhat duped when you bought your current house as to the amenities that came with it? You can always remodel another house over time, but you can't change the neighborhood or the lot location.
Good point... we have not visited it at night. However, there are no towering bright lights there, they close at 8pm. They have some lights mounted on the side wall of the buildings as the only lights we could see. Still, we will go check it out at night, that's a good idea.

I tend to think they are listed a bit high. One wrinkle in this is that the seller actually works for the builder... he knows exactly how much it costs to build the exact home new with all the same options. So I think he would be reluctant to come down in price much.

You are correct about how we were duped. It wasn't SBR, but we were led to believe that our home had access to the community pool/clubhouse, and it turned out that we didn't, even though it was on the MLS listing and our realtor also said it was included. So not really looking forward to paying another HOA fee and still getting nothing for it (but since that's what we are currently doing, it's not a knock on the new house, and the yard is big enough to put our own pool in.)

Old 08-03-2014, 12:23 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Well, my wife and I have been thinking about putting our home up for sale and moving to a slightly bigger home and several years newer.

There's a lot of reasons why we are looking to move, but I won't bore you with the details.

The problem is that we've found a home we really, really like... but don't really care for the lot location or the location of the development itself. The lot backs up to commercial real estate, namely, a storage facility. The hours of the storage place are from 6am to 8pm.

This new home is a bit farther from the elementary school than our current home... we can walk to school now, and the adjoining park, very easily. That would not be possible with the new home.

The new home has an HOA, but there's no community pool or clubhouse, or anything. It's just like our current home, which we don't like. We really would like to be part of Stonebridge Ranch, but this new development is not. The neighborhood across the street is part of SBR though, but unfortunately we haven't found a home we like in that area.

My main concern is resale. If we decided to purchase this newer home, how much would being located next to a storage facility impact resale? Would most people care about that or not? It may be just a hangup of mine than for most people.

We've thought about just having the home we like built on a lot we like... and we can't justify the cost. It would cost $575k to build the exact same home, same options, on a different lot. The home we are looking at is just 3 years old and selling for $100k less. (Which I think still may be a bit overpriced based on comps and location, but we'll see.)

I'm looking for opinions as to whether we should make an offer or not. We have absolutely no complaints with the home itself, but just not thrilled by location. We're unsure how much weight location should play into this, and whether we should just go for it or not.

Location is extremely important. For the reasons you listed, I wouldn't even consider buying that house.

Personally I would never buy a house that backs up to a commercial property or a busy road. I wouldn't even want a house that backs up to a school. Backing up to a storage facility is going to be a problem when you try to sell that house. Most people probably would not want that. Plus, it may not be a storage facility forever. And they may extend their operating hours. Or it could shut down and become a blight.

Some people live in storage facilities. Some people use them to manufacture drugs. You have no idea what kinds of things people are storing in there. Plus, rats LOVE them. Plan for tons of rats, plus a feral cat colony.

I wouldn't just pass, I'd run screaming.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Location is extremely important. For the reasons you listed, I wouldn't even consider buying that house.

Personally I would never buy a house that backs up to a commercial property or a busy road. I wouldn't even want a house that backs up to a school. Backing up to a storage facility is going to be a problem when you try to sell that house. Most people probably would not want that. Plus, it may not be a storage facility forever. And they may extend their operating hours. Or it could shut down and become a blight.

Some people live in storage facilities. Some people use them to manufacture drugs. You have no idea what kinds of things people are storing in there. Plus, rats LOVE them. Plan for tons of rats, plus a feral cat colony.

I wouldn't just pass, I'd run screaming.
LOL Well you've given us some worst case scenarios to consider!

The storage facility has an 8 ft wall surrounding it, though there are a few gaps in the wall with a locked iron gate. Then, there's about a 12-15 ft gap between the retaining wall/fence of the house we are looking at and the wall. In this gap, they've planted trees about every 15-20 ft. When they get older and more mature, they should do a good job of blocking any view of the storage buildings. I don't think we'd have to worry about rats too much, but... you never know.

We previously found a great house about 2 months ago, price was excellent, seemed to be in a good area... then brought up a satellite map and the house DIRECTLY faced an elementary school.

Scratched that one off the list, LOL

Old 08-03-2014, 01:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
LOL Well you've given us some worst case scenarios to consider!

The storage facility has an 8 ft wall surrounding it, though there are a few gaps in the wall with a locked iron gate. Then, there's about a 12-15 ft gap between the retaining wall/fence of the house we are looking at and the wall. In this gap, they've planted trees about every 15-20 ft. When they get older and more mature, they should do a good job of blocking any view of the storage buildings. I don't think we'd have to worry about rats too much, but... you never know.

We previously found a great house about 2 months ago, price was excellent, seemed to be in a good area... then brought up a satellite map and the house DIRECTLY faced an elementary school.

Scratched that one off the list, LOL
Being across the street from an elementary school is FAR more appealing than backing up to commercial. Lots of families with young children like being that close to the school, plus the ability to use the school's field and/or playground after school and on the weekends.

I wouldn't even set foot in a home with a bad location.....as you're finding out, now you're attached to that home and are starting to compromise the real estate basics (location, location, location).

How long are you planning to be in your next house? If it's a forever home, it may be worth it to look into building one exactly the way you want.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:00 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Being across the street from an elementary school is FAR more appealing than backing up to commercial. Lots of families with young children like being that close to the school, plus the ability to use the school's field and/or playground after school and on the weekends.

I wouldn't even set foot in a home with a bad location.....as you're finding out, now you're attached to that home and are starting to compromise the real estate basics (location, location, location).

How long are you planning to be in your next house? If it's a forever home, it may be worth it to look into building one exactly the way you want.
Being across from an elementary school can be a nightmare! The long, long lines of mad moms in mini vans doing the pickup and drop off can make exit and entry to your home very upsetting.

Backed up to commercial can be ok or awful. It just depends. I once considered buying a rent house that backed up to a new car dealership. There was a wall behind the house, and an alley and a wall for the dealership lot. Looked ok because that part of the dealership was just a parking lot for inventory cars. But, as usual, I visited the place all times of the day. One afternoon (when it would be usual nap time for small kids and that smaller bedroom faced the dealer lot) I heard a really, really loud grinding noise. It was the delivery of new vehicles being unloaded. This would be a common occurrence and so I passed on the place. Just really important to visit at all times of the day.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:28 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times
Quote:

If it bothers you a bit now it will bother you alot later. Better to take money and enlarge your current home or look for something else altogether. It all comes down to location...unless of course you want to be in a position of selling it rock bottom later just to people to bite on price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas