Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:16 AM

317 posts, read 840,141 times

Advertisements

I'll be in a rental and driving through dallas for a day trip. In terms of toll roads, during the weekday (tomorrow), how much exact change do I need to get through? If I have dollar bills, and not exact change, is that okay? credit cards? Are there people working the toll booth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 10:22 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
I'll be in a rental and driving through dallas for a day trip. In terms of toll roads, during the weekday (tomorrow), how much exact change do I need to get through? If I have dollar bills, and not exact change, is that okay? credit cards? Are there people working the toll booth?
The NTTA did away with it's toll booths a while back. Now they send a bill to the address associated with the vehicle license plates. They only do it once you have accumulated $2-3 in toll fees. Anyhow, the rental company will generally charge you card accordingly.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:29 AM

953 posts, read 1,829,815 times
Usually now the rental companies ask you whether you will use the toll road. if you do, they issue you a card otherwise it takes a while to get the toll settled with the rental company.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:31 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
On some toll roads, you have to deal with toll booths... and you do not need exact change. However, you do need a fat wallet as you can expect to pay $1.50 for every 10 miles you travel. The ironic thing is that they raised the speed limit on some stretches of toll road to as high as 85 mph, but then you have to stop every 10 miles to pay a toll. In terms of overall average speed, I'm not seeing how that is better than the non-toll highways which have speed limits up to 80 mph. My advice, as one who lived in Texas for five years and had a good bit of experience with the Dallas area - stay away from the toll roads if at all possible. They're not worth the money.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:12 AM

504 posts, read 800,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
On some toll roads, you have to deal with toll booths... and you do not need exact change. However, you do need a fat wallet as you can expect to pay $1.50 for every 10 miles you travel. The ironic thing is that they raised the speed limit on some stretches of toll road to as high as 85 mph, but then you have to stop every 10 miles to pay a toll. In terms of overall average speed, I'm not seeing how that is better than the non-toll highways which have speed limits up to 80 mph. My advice, as one who lived in Texas for five years and had a good bit of experience with the Dallas area - stay away from the toll roads if at all possible. They're not worth the money.
This information is false coming from a guy who doesn't even use toll roads. There is not a single operating toll booth in the DFW area. Its 100% electronic.
He did not ask your opinion about the toll roads.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
This information is false coming from a guy who doesn't even use toll roads. There is not a single operating toll booth in the DFW area. Its 100% electronic.
Yup, the only functioning toll booths I've seen around Dallas, if their even called toll booths, is entering to and from DFW International airport. Otherwise it's all Zip cash (mail you a bill).

Old 08-05-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Yup, the only functioning toll booths I've seen around Dallas, if their even called toll booths, is entering to and from DFW International airport. Otherwise it's all Zip cash (mail you a bill).
Exactly. Those booths are entrances to the airport. Plus there is no 85 mph anywhere in the DFW on toll roads. It really gets me when people like these spread misinformation especially to visitors. These toll road haters add no value to the debate with their anti tax rhetoric. Believe me I am no lover of toll roads either but I would love to hear the other side's solution to the problem, if they have any.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
Plus there is no 85 mph anywhere in the DFW on toll roads.
I wished, although people do bend the speed limits a lot on the Toll and 75.

Now the toll road outside of Austin is 85mph. It's not always the best route to take though depending on where you're headed. I try to take it every chance I get, it's always empty and it's 85mph

Old 08-05-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I wished, although people do bend the speed limits a lot on the Toll and 75.

Now the toll road outside of Austin is 85mph. It's not always the best route to take though depending on where you're headed. I try to take it every chance I get, it's always empty and it's 85mph
LBJ Managed lanes will have posted speed limit of 75. The speed study on both opened sections (75 to Preston and 635/35 connectors) showed, it was safe for 80 mph but they are signed 70 mph for now

Old 08-05-2014, 11:57 AM

317 posts, read 840,141 times
Nice! I'm not going to the airport. I'll be going from oklahoma to richardson to irving and back up, so it sounds like i can just zip through without having to stop at a toll or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas