Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 3,854 times

Advertisements

I looked through the last 4-5 pages of posts and saw nothing that matched closely to my circumstances.

My job location will be in downtown Dallas near the Cedar Springs Rd / Maple Ave area.

I will rent for a while and then be looking for a home to purchase. I'd like to keep the home price to the 200 - 300k range. I could go higher - perhaps to 400k, but only if no neighborhoods match my other criteria.

I am married and have 1 child (age 1 yr).

What I'm looking for:
- 20 minutes or less of a commute to work.
- Good schools. Our child is still too young for school, but moving is something to be avoided and we are trying to plan ahead.
- low crime (safe)
- Not be the only caucasian family in my neighborhood (25%+ works)
- Small yard / no yard is fine - would prefer not to have a massive yard
- 1600 sq ft - 2200 sq ft is great

I've used some online tools to look at public school districts and for dallas proper (haven't looked much at suburbs yet) they all have absolutely terrible ratings except for highland park (which has amazing ratings). I looked at highland park and the home prices there are outside of my range. I could possibly qualify for one of the absolute cheapest homes in that neighborhood - but it would be a huge stretch and I'd rather play it conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 08:26 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
While Dallas ISD isn't well rated overall, there are outstanding elementary schools in several areas that meet the rest of your criteria:
75229: homes zoned to DeGoyler Elementary.
75208: homes zoned to Rosemont Elementary
75214, 75223, 75206: homes zoned to Lakewood, Stonewall Jackson elementaries
75218: homes zoned to Hexter Elementary
Any of those are as good or better than the suburban elementaries that would put you in the car for quite a bit longer every day. They are known for parental support & volunteerism, high standards, and strong academics. Your child is 1 so you are a long, long way from needing a middle school. By that time, you could apply for the distict's nationally acclaimed magnet schools, move into HPISD or go private, or hopefully the middle and high schools will continue to improve in these neighborhoods.

You could also look in northeast Dallas (south of 635) which is the Lake Highlands neighborhood (Richardson ISD) and home to some very strong elementary schools. White Rock Elementary and several others are the most sought after.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:56 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,726 times
I would also add 75220. A portion of that zip code in Midway Hollow is zoned to Withers Elementary.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:28 PM

235 posts, read 347,306 times
20 minutes or less of commute would be nice to have but very, very few people enjoy that in DFW. I live in the suburbs where there should be less traffic and about 8-9 miles away from my work, and I don't even see rush hour traffic (I work from 10 am to 7 pm), and even my commute is around 20-25 minutes. If you work 9 to 5, the only way to have a 20 minute or less commute would be to live within 3-4 miles of where you work.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:45 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycool1111 View Post
20 minutes or less of commute would be nice to have but very, very few people enjoy that in DFW. I live in the suburbs where there should be less traffic and about 8-9 miles away from my work, and I don't even see rush hour traffic (I work from 10 am to 7 pm), and even my commute is around 20-25 minutes. If you work 9 to 5, the only way to have a 20 minute or less commute would be to live within 3-4 miles of where you work.
Which he can do if he focuses on the above options in Dallas. It's not that difficult.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:41 AM

3 posts, read 3,854 times
Thank you for the suggestions and replies everyone, esp TurtleCreek80.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,732 times
Your commute would be longer but it doesn't get much better than the Frisco ISD. My husband works in downtown Dallas at the children's hospital and commutes (simply because EVERYTHING else is the best up here). I have a lot of connections in real estate and lending if you need some referrals. If you're looking for a lender call Joy Ziminskas with Summit Lending and tell her Jill sent you. She's the best there is! Very knowledgeable and very efficient. She'll be very upfront and honest with things ahead of time, which in the end is far more efficient. She's made DMagazine several years in a row. If you need a realtor let me know and I can refer depending on which area you want to focus on. But SCHOOLS, SAFETY, and neighborhoods are the best in Frisco. No question. Worth the commute. 75070- the homes are newer, the area is growing, and you'll get a LOT more equity in your house later.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:56 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,823 times
In that price range I would look at Lake Highlands or Pearce area.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:30 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill27r View Post
Your commute would be longer but it doesn't get much better than the Frisco ISD. My husband works in downtown Dallas at the children's hospital and commutes (simply because EVERYTHING else is the best up here). I have a lot of connections in real estate and lending if you need some referrals. If you're looking for a lender call Joy Ziminskas with Summit Lending and tell her Jill sent you. She's the best there is! Very knowledgeable and very efficient. She'll be very upfront and honest with things ahead of time, which in the end is far more efficient. She's made DMagazine several years in a row. If you need a realtor let me know and I can refer depending on which area you want to focus on. But SCHOOLS, SAFETY, and neighborhoods are the best in Frisco. No question. Worth the commute. 75070- the homes are newer, the area is growing, and you'll get a LOT more equity in your house later.
That commute would be hellish. And expensive...all on a tollroad!

Old 08-22-2014, 07:39 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill27r View Post
I live in Frisco and like it, but I would never recommend it for someone who works downtown. There are just so many other options, especially for someone who has already expressed an interest in a short commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas