Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:49 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,724,823 times

Advertisements

Here are the cities in North Texas that made the Top 100 as safest cities in the country.

41. Plano
61. Richardson
64. McKinney
69. Lewisville
83. Carrollton
97. Garland
138. Irving
146. Denton
168. Grand Prairie
207. Arlington
246. Fort Worth
338. Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 10:45 AM

51 posts, read 80,628 times
Looks about right. I live in Plano and while it is not utopia, I don't feel unsafe at all living here. I honestly think Plano would rank even better as would Richardson if it weren't for the parts that border Dallas. I know for Plano that the border with Dallas is the area with the most crime, the further north you go the less crime there is.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrafast View Post
Looks about right. I live in Plano and while it is not utopia, I don't feel unsafe at all living here. I honestly think Plano would rank even better as would Richardson if it weren't for the parts that border Dallas. I know for Plano that the border with Dallas is the area with the most crime, the further north you go the less crime there is.
I also think the malls and large shopping centers don't help as far as Plano is concerned. You have to remember that EVERY crime is added into the equation. So that means of some kids decide to have some "fun" and do things that they should not and vandalize property it gets counted if it is reported to the poice. Then w/ all of the high traffic shopping centers/malls and office building complexes that see more car burglary problems (people stealing stuff from inside the car) increase during the holidays. But if the people that are sometimes the victims in these cases paid attention and did not do things that invited criminals it most likely would not happen.

Overall I think when you get down to it and you can see exactly WHAT the crimes are, all of these areas are safe as is Dallas. I don't see Dallas as the most dangerous city in the nation and I'm in Dallas on nights after sporting events. If you read the paper and watch the news and see where and what most of these crimes are, I'm not in the positions for these to occur to me. I don't hang out in bad areas at 1 in the morning dealing drugs or with people that do. I don't hang out in run down bars at 2 in the morning drinking w/ people that do nothing but cause trouble. Birthday parties for my kids don't involve gunfights at 2 in the morning. I mean late last night two people were killed after they got into a gunfight w/ each other while in the SAME CAR!!! DUH!!!!

Old 10-30-2006, 11:39 AM

5,640 posts, read 24,877,514 times
A lot depends on what area you are in, what you are comparing to, and mostly how statistics are compiled and presented. If you compare area with equal economic worth the difference may not be so great.

I have lived most of my life in Dallas, Plano, and Richardson. In my 15 years in Plano both my homes were burglarized (one of them in a very upscale area, twice), I had to deal with the kids being exposed to drugs, delinquency, and worse in the malls.

I have had no such problems in my last ten years in Dallas.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:12 PM

44 posts, read 261,261 times
Thanks for posting the info on crime. I'm not too surpised to see Dallas towards the bottom- nearly every big city has very high crime. Boise, where I currently live ranked 120 and everyone here feels its a very safe place. So anything ranked in the top 100 is not going to be a bad place to settle. Also, momof2dfw is right- if you lead a straight and narrow life and have soem common sense, most likely you're not going to get caught up in a lot of crime.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:27 PM

109 posts, read 609,994 times

Ya'll are allowed to carry guns without permits down there? You need a carry permit up here. That's for us law-abiding folks, by the way.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy1960 View Post

Ya'll are allowed to carry guns without permits down there? You need a carry permit up here. That's for us law-abiding folks, by the way.
No. If you want to carry a handgun on your person you must have a concealed handgun license. But they are not allowed in certain places no matter what. Any place that serves beer/wine or sales is usually off limits as are banks and most churches. Same w/ schools, they are a drug and gun free zone. Any business can post that guns are not allowed even for those w/ a license. But as you said, that is for us law abiding citizens. The dummies that shot at each other as they are driving down the road usually don't pay much attention to such rules.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:44 PM

806 posts, read 2,876,960 times
I have nothing against guns, but the people that carry them is another story...

My favourite quote:

Cars don't cause accidents, it's the nut behind the wheel...Substitute where appropriate to create the analogy...

P.S. Round Rock is #13. I feel Soooooo safe now!

Last edited by Spookmeister; 10-30-2006 at 05:12 PM..

Old 11-01-2006, 08:53 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,400,505 times
I live in far West Plano and it feels unusually safe here.

In fact, most of Plano seems safe West of Independence (and far east in Murphy as well).

Old 11-01-2006, 08:58 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,400,505 times
How did Frisco not make the list above ?

McKinney and no Frisco ? That's odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas