U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2007, 10:22 AM

78 posts, read 684,159 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know of any good, safe apartments or homes in the Dallas area for lease? We have no criminal records or evictions but do have bad credit unfortunately. It seems that people with bad credit are treated as if they don't deserve a place to live. Due to past experience, we are not willing to pay for a credit check, only to be declined and also out $$ for no reason so looking for something with no credit check. We have two small children and are in need of a home. Would prefer something in the Carrollton/Plano/Frisco/Lewisville/McKinney/N. Dallas area. Please help!! Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 10:35 AM

3,035 posts, read 4,713,479 times
I have encountered the same problem. Some places charge as much as $50 for a credit/background check. IMO thats highway robbery, because you can do it yourself online for about $15-20. Where does the rest go? Then they tell you, "we're sorry but we cant approve you because (insert lame excuse here), but thanks for giving us a try".

Old 12-30-2007, 11:13 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,410,636 times
When I moved to the US (and had no credit), I just paid a higher deposit and had no problem getting into a brand new, nice apartment.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:58 AM

6,586 posts, read 16,419,358 times
Try and find an individual landlord who owns investment property (house/condo) and try and rent from that person. Not a big company establishment, but an individual you could plead your case with. I know several people who have had to do that because of either no credit, bad credit or recent bankruptcy or foreclosure.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:00 PM

Default No credit check apartments/homes?

You are exactly right JVTX72. They have no problem taking your money and turning you down and if that happens more than once even, it can really start adding up. In the meantime, you are still without a place to live. At the very least, I think the app fee should be refundable if declined. It's just a shame though because I have two children and want to give them a decent place to live and no have to live in the hoodlum just because I happen to have poor credit. Even people with poor credit realize that having a roof over your head is a top priority when it comes to paying bills so there is much less of a risk IMO than say if you were buying an appliance or something on credit. Guess they don't see it that way though and any apartments I have found with no credit check in Dallas usually are in a very unsafe area and obviously it attracts all kinds.

Galore, that's a good idea if you are lucky enough to find a complex willing to do that. But still, they won't tell you up front and you are running the risk of being turned down and out application fee. If you know of any apartments like that, that will work with you, etc., please let us know. Thanks.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:03 PM

4,358 posts, read 5,715,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldunn1001 View Post
Does anybody know of any good, safe apartments or homes in the Dallas area for lease? We have no criminal records or evictions but do have bad credit unfortunately. It seems that people with bad credit are treated as if they don't deserve a place to live. Due to past experience, we are not willing to pay for a credit check, only to be declined and also out $$ for no reason so looking for something with no credit check. We have two small children and are in need of a home. Would prefer something in the Carrollton/Plano/Frisco/Lewisville/McKinney/N. Dallas area. Please help!! Thanks
Check on craigslist.com... they seem to have many listed in the DFW area where they'll work with your credit:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/apa/

http://dallas.craigslist.org/search/...k=max&bedrooms=

Old 12-30-2007, 12:05 PM

FarNorthDallas - Thanks. We have tried that and sometimes you do get further but thought we would try an apartment because rent would be less and lower move-in costs. I look daily on Craigslist and sometimes run across homes with no credit check, etc but often times they are out of our price range.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:46 PM

1,067 posts, read 3,893,412 times
There are few apartments on the east side of Mckinney that I believe would be helpful.. you need to go look off of Wilson Creek Road.. call the apartment complexes over there and see what they will do.. Also check a complex over off of Graves by MHS and some off of El Dorado East. I hope that helps. The only way to know if to get out and do some leg work.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:20 PM

3,964 posts, read 9,297,602 times
The only thing a landlord (apartment complex or individual) looks at on the credit is if there are delinquencies on payments on previous rentals. They don't care if you have unpaid medical bills, unpaid credit cards or anything else. They just want to see how many times you were late in paying.

Yes an individual will be able to work with you better for a larger deposit. I have just helped a couple that had issues in credit as well and the only landlord willing to accept them had asked for 2 months deposit and it would become non-refundable IF they were late one time. They had no choice but it helps them stay on track.

Also, if you pay for a credit report to an apt complex or any other, they are required by law give you a copy of that report if you ask for it. If you already know what the issue is in your credit that is stopping you, you may want to submit your justification when you apply. Don't forget that every time, your credit is pulled, your credit score is affected by going down a couple of points too...

Sorry for my rambling...

Old 12-30-2007, 03:24 PM

3,589 posts, read 371,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldunn1001 View Post
FarNorthDallas - Thanks. We have tried that and sometimes you do get further but thought we would try an apartment because rent would be less and lower move-in costs. I look daily on Craigslist and sometimes run across homes with no credit check, etc but often times they are out of our price range.
Unfortunately, property management companies and landlords that cater to people with poor credit will charge higher rents to mitigate against the very real risk that their tenants will not pay the rent.

One poster had a good idea; plead your case with private landlords, and before paying an application fee just be up front and tell them what your credit score is...saves time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas