Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:23 PM

88 posts, read 153,358 times

Advertisements

I appreciate if you can share your opinion about lot selection in Frisco. Here are the options.

1) East facing lot with backyard facing trees and no home on the back, $30K premium. However the biggest windows are west side, I read in this forum that West facing backyard is not a desirable lot.
2) North facing corner lot , $10K premium. The fence facing the street is iron fence, offers little privacy.
3) North facing with neighbors all three sides , no premium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 01:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
The a/c costs of big windows facing west are very high, unless the trees will provide shade for the summer months. Is nothing ever going to be built back there? Is it a park or greenbelt?

What is the issue with the iron fence? Most houses don't have front fences.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:48 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
We have a west backlot. If I had I could do it over, I wouldn't buy an east/west house. Honesty it isn't horrible, but there are times when we sit in the backyard and the sun is in our eyes.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:05 PM

88 posts, read 153,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The a/c costs of big windows facing west are very high, unless the trees will provide shade for the summer months. Is nothing ever going to be built back there? Is it a park or greenbelt?

What is the issue with the iron fence? Most houses don't have front fences.
It is a greenbelt.

Iron fence is on the entire side of the house. As per HOA rules, fence facing the street must be wrought iron fence , meaning no privacy in the backyard unless I grow some shrubs and trees along the side of the house.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
There are plenty of fast-growing shrubs to cover the view. What about the greenbelt? Do the trees shade where the windows would be? Is there any possibility the trees might have to be cut down? I would take #2 if I had the $$.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:33 PM

212 posts, read 459,545 times
In this heat, I would not take any back yard that was west facing, let alone at a $30k premium. I'd probably rank them 2, 3, and a very distant 1 as last. But if privacy is important to you, then go with the houses on all sides.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:36 PM

48 posts, read 63,400 times
Option 2 or 3. East facing house will ensure you get the most sunlight throughout the day, morning and afternoon. If you plan on using your backyard for sitting around, i.e. bbq, parties, etc. understand that you will have the sun on you. You can mitigate it with a covered porch, but it will still have sun in your eyes while sitting there. My mom had a east facing house in CA and we always had the sun in our eyes while sitting under her backyard porch.

Why pay a premium to have the sun in your eyes when you're trying to relax in your backyard.

Iron fence / no privacy to not have a neighbor on that side to me isn't worth $10K premium. Your house is separated by at least 10 feet and you have a fence between you. I guess you could get more street parking for guests by being on a corner lot.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:38 PM

63 posts, read 109,134 times
3, 2, 1

Privacy is very important to me, and I just couldn't stand having everyone see into my yard. I would never get a west facing backyard either, even if there was no premium. We spend our evenings outside w/ the kids, playing and grilling. Wouldn't want the sun beating down on us.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:16 PM

12 posts, read 22,537 times
I would go with your second option. North facing lot would be more useable and having green belt instead of a neighbor or an alley is sure worth 10k. Iron fence lasts longer and no staining expense. You can always add some shrubs or vines to add privacy. Tall wood fences on small lots feel very constricting and I really don't get 5,000 sq ft homes on 7,000 sq ft lots. To add insult to the injury, builders add Disney castle style towers. I'm still trying to get used to these architectural wonders.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:26 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,537 times
I hate the iron fences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: