Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 12:31 PM

565 posts, read 719,651 times

Advertisements

Has the area around Gaston/Lemmon/Peak/ near Baylor changed much in the past two years? How are real estate prices these days? Has it cooled down from last summer at all, and are there any new changes or developments happening that would change property prices or the general neighborhood feel coming up soon? Is it still just as "transitional" as ever?

Is "Old East Dallas" ever going to be a thing? It seemed like the DMN was trying to make it a thing for a while...which would be great for my property values. =)

I still own a house around there that I've been renting for the past 3 years. When we first moved to the NYC area, I didn't know how long we'd be living here but we are still here with no major plans to move. So I'm thinking about offloading my Dallas place.

I have a very bad habit of selling places just a couple of years before the neighborhood explodes in popularity (hello, my old Lakewood townhouse within walking distance to Whole Foods that I sold just a few months after Whole Foods opened).

Do any of you have any good information about that neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 10:10 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,292,000 times
I would say it is getting better, and will continue to get better, but will never be great. I drove there last weekend. It has the advantage of proximity to Downtown, which will always be helpful as traffic continues to get worse and worse. However, it has a school issue that probably won't be fixed in the next 10 years.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:21 AM

990 posts, read 2,297,734 times
what specific streets are you talking about?

Old 10-23-2014, 07:38 PM

Off Gaston, near Buckner Park.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:30 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,474,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
Off Gaston, near Buckner Park.
Gaston further into Lakewood is definitely better, but I think the demand will spread closer to downtown. I would say the area closer to Baylor is where that area was 10 years ago. If more of the run down apartments get redone like the ones Power Properties owns, and the others get knocked down then you'll have more buyers looking to pay top dollar. There seem to be a lot of houses on Reiger and Victor being renovated. I think you'll make money holding on to it!

Old 10-27-2014, 11:36 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,083,112 times
If it's in Zaragoza Elementary, that's a problem (feeds to Spence and North Dallas) - if it's in Lipscomb (feeds to Long and Woodrow), that's a plus. I see the areas closer to downtown becoming more like Uptown and the areas closer to Lakewood more family-oriented. Your location is a bit between, so it's hard to say. But once the old apartments along Gaston and Live Oak are renovated and redeveloped this will change things dramatically.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 10-27-2014 at 12:16 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 09:45 AM

It's in Zaragoza, but it's just a 2 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2 living spaces....so not really amenable to a family anyway. I've only rented to singles/roommate situations so far, usually people who work at Baylor. I may wait till this next summer and see what the market it looking like then. I think I should have sold this last summer because it looks like a few places sold on my block for a very small profit (better than a loss!). Also, the inside of mine is significantly more updated and furnished well, which helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: