Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:51 AM

769 posts, read 777,366 times

Advertisements

One of the few ways to avoid the shackles of an HOA if you want a new house is to build a true custom home on a lot that is not part of a cubicle style community.

This is mostly an option for the wealthy (few HOAs in the Park Cities) or the poor in BFE.

Middle class is solidly HOA territory.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:45 AM

3,427 posts, read 4,423,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
LOL! I was on an HOA board and various committees of a large subdivision (~350 homes) in Plano for the best part of two decades.
As if someone couldn't detect HOA corp board affiliation from your writing.

Quote:
Over that span the HOA filed precisely one lien and that was in efforts to kick a meth cook out of the neighborhood - guess what it worked.
Incorrect. If there was an involuntary membership HOA corp in the subdivision then the lien was on every lot in the subdivision before anyone ever purchased a home. So whatever you filed was not a "lien". In any event "filing a lien" doesn't kick anyone out. Filing a false one is actionable. What you have exhibited is the typical bullying tactic where you believe you have authority to run people out of the neighborhood.

Quote:
IF you don't like HOAs don't live a neighborhood with an HOA. It's really simple.
It would be simpler for the cowards that hide behind HOA corporations to recognize that good fences make good neighbors and that they are not the legislature, the courts, or law enforcement. Putting board members in front of a jury is entertaining. Board members tend to have an extremely inflated sense of self-worth. It's a real turnoff to juries.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:33 AM

3,427 posts, read 4,423,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Still waiting for you to give the details of the cases you've supposedly won. And, the older cases you cited have NOTHING to do with the topic at hand, they are not related to HOAs, and do not help the argument you are trying to make, only making you look more foolish.
Posting such information reveals personally identifying information. I owe you nothing.

The older cases absolutely relate to the very core of the types of arguments made by feeble minded folks like yourself. You haven't been harmed and even if there were some incidental change in property valuation it is trumped by the property rights of the property owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Here's the truth... you're a former homeowner that couldn't be bothered/not intelligent enough to understand the HOA bylaws for a home you'd just purchased, and then you wanted to make changes in extremely poor taste and your neighbors (who probably didn't like you much at all to begin with, who can blame them) reported you, and the HOA fined you and you whined and cried and eventually moved out and no one missed you.
Truth from an HOA corp board member? There is no such thing. Who are you kidding? They start with an "us vs them" mentality where the "them" is all the other homeowners. You've demonstrated that. The rest of your silly speculation has no foundation in reality whatsoever. Are you still an HOA board member?

The people that "move out of the neighborhood" in cases I've been involved with tend to be the board members (or ex board members). Board members tend to equate themselves to the HOA corporation they control. Such board member egos often can't handle it when the HOA corporation loses. They'll send out letters (using other people's money of course) trying to justify their actions or proclaim the targeted homeowners as "undesirable" or "harming property values" or some other such nonsense in order to try to bolster their egos. The more the HOA corp loses the more paranoid and desperate board members become. I've seen the pattern repeated more than once.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:55 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,440,214 times
Where is a mod?

Old 11-11-2014, 02:35 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,008,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Where is a mod?
No kidding. Get this HOA hating troll banned. A search of his postings show that is all he does across the forum.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:47 PM

128 posts, read 230,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I don't care for HOAs and I tend to think they shouldn't even be allowed to exist.

What business is it of yours if I want to paint my house pink? Really, how is that any of your business? No, property values don't count towards that, that I paint my house something other than tan or beige or brown just happens to cause a reduction in value towards your home is an "incidental byproduct," not a deliberate act, and my rights to paint MY house MY way shouldn't be trampled on because of your freaking precious property values. You reply "pay $150,000 for a home and then come back and talk to me." I say "when I work my fingers to the point making $1,500 monthly payments and incurring thousands of dollars in interest over those years towards paying $150,000 for MY house with MY NAME on it, I don't want some communist-like bureaucrat coming around telling me I can't do it when they didn't pay $150,000 for MY HOUSE and it doesn't infringe on them in any deliberate sort of way."

To me, it's all in the name, BUYING a home vs RENTING a home. If we were talking about rentals, then that's one thing. But when I BUY a home, it's MINE. Period. Either it's mine to do with as I please, or it's not, no in-between, no mudding up the words and the concept of OWNERSHIP. I don't care about you across the road, this is MY home, that's YOUR home. You tend to YOUR fence, I'll tend to mine. I don't care what color you paint your house, it's YOUR house to paint whatever color you darn well please. The same goes with mine. (Again, if we're renting, then that's a different thing altogether.)

It amuses, or irritates (I can't decide which), me to no end that someone thinks that because they can SEE a neighbor's yard with a pink roof or a yellow fence or whatever and be so bothered by something that petty, such makes it okay to infringe on that person's right to make their house truly THEIR house vs having to be like everyone else and paint their home off-white or brown. We're not the former USSR for crying out loud. I could understand, say, noise issues, especially barking dogs. A neighbor with 15 hunting dogs that never shut up or, more likely, with 2-3 yorkies that never shut their piehole and yap at everything, that truly is something that is a legitimate bother to other people, I can totally understand that. I can also understand lack of maintenance in yards, but ONLY if that means that others now have more rodents in their yard; that it looks offensive, oh well, it's no one else's business.

I mean, should I not be allowed to drive a pink or hot-yellow car because others don't like its appearance and consider that trashy? After all, the roads are public, my car isn't an island all of its own. No, taste isn't legislated in that way, nor should it be with someone's HOME that cost them like $150,000 and it's their HOME. My rights with respect to my car are only limited when it means someone's life is in danger, which is understandable (although they take it too far a lot of the time with ridiculously-slow speed limits and stop lights seemingly every 0.001 miles vs spreading them out at least 2-3 miles apart), this despite the fact that the roads are public.

A man's home is his castle, HIS castle, not the neighborhood's castle. I could care less, nor do I think I SHOULD care less, nor do I think others should be made to care less, what others with their noses stuck about 15 miles up in the air think of MY yard and MY house that I paid for and they didn't. I don't care, nor should I care, that my house is part of a group of other homes. I don't care about them, nor do I INTEND to care about them, nor do I expect anyone else to care about the others around them with respect to pink fences and purple roofs, nor should the law make anyone do so. In fact the law should MAKE THEM mind their own business (aside from REAL concerns like noise pollution or causing your neighbors to have more rodents and such in their yard due to your neglect) and if that means flat-out abolishing all HOAs completely, then I say great.
You're 100% right! I agree.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:53 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,440,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30_miles View Post
You're 100% right! I agree.
Me too, that is one of my favorite posts on this board. I never understood the concept of a private body telling me what I could or couldn't do with my property.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:27 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,085,492 times
Thread closed for mod review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas