Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 11:30 AM

170 posts, read 369,079 times

Advertisements

I am a Lancaster resident and recently learned that the city is attempting to put an assisted living facility for mentally ill people in my neighborhood. There are still several empty lots due to tornado activity and they want to build on one of these large empty lots. There was a zoning meeting that was supposed to be held last night but it was cancelled at the last minute.

There were several people who were already there when I arrived who were opposing it and here is what I was told. First, one resident did call to find out what type of facility this would be, and was told that she (lady on the phone) had to be very careful about how she described it, but that it would be mentally handicapped/ill people who are a danger to themselves or others.

The proposed lot is in Harvest Hill at the corner of Francis and Mimosa/Vernon. There is one large lot there. This lot is directly across the street from an elementary school.

I will be keeping on eye on the Zoning Commission meetings to find out when this will be heard again. They have to get a waiver due to there being some other group type home within a half mile. Personally, I am more concerned with it being across the street from a school or having people who are known to be a danger to others in my neighborhood. Thanks but no thanks.

Please, if you live in the area or know someone who does, get the word out, show up for the zoning meeting to oppose and sign our petition to keep this facility away from our homes and children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 01:45 PM

11,835 posts, read 26,769,540 times
Before you launch into hysteria, you should know that such facilities are heavily regulated by the State. I seriously doubt that the residents will be out roaming the streets and bothering the school.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:51 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,093,268 times
Hi mrsclark. I closely follow the Planning and Zoning Commission's activities since it is typically the first step in the development process. I wasn't aware of this matter, however, so thanks for posting it. I'll definitely do some research to learn about the proposed facility. It is very close to West Main Elementary, so I completely understand the concerns of you and your neighbors.

My neighborhood uses a social network called Nextdoor to discuss issues like this. Nine other northern Lancaster neighborhoods are also using it. Combined, there are 410 members and growing. If you find out when the next meeting will take place or have any additional information, be sure to post it here or send me a direct message. Regarding the petition, is it an online petition that can be linked to or not? Thanks again.

Last edited by Acntx; 11-05-2014 at 09:39 PM..

Old 11-21-2014, 09:04 PM

I don't think that notifying my neighbors that a facility that is possibly going to include people who are a danger is being hysterical. We are attempting to attend the zonig meetings and make phone calls to the city to find out more info so that we know exactly what is going next door to our homes. Christy,maybe it would concern you a little more if they were moving in next to your child's school or your home.

ACTNX: I have found Nextdoor and am on that now, there is a post regarding the petition and a person to contact to sign it. I will updae when the meeting is rescheduled.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:50 AM

8,103 posts, read 8,286,045 times
I understand completely. I am somewhat familiar with this issue and if the group home/residential facility has the demographics you really fear, you should take action.

My mother was in a care facility for dementia. The enrollment criteria was "danger to onself or others" but in fact everyone there was not physically able to manage their lives and the facility was highly secured. If it was that kind of place, I wouldn't resist it.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:45 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,708,579 times
I worked in a NH that had a locked unit. You needed a code to open the doors and there were cameras trained on the exit doors. Still, people got out, about once per month. Staff can't watch the cameras every minute. The safest is to have Wander Guard worn by patients which lock the doors when they get within 3-4 ft of the door. I also worked in a NH with those and nobody ever got out.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:08 AM

11,835 posts, read 26,769,540 times
I work in a behavioral health hospital, and in the past, I have worked at a nursing home with a secured unit. The patients in both of these places don't leave the building. The hospital I work at is across the street from an elementary school, and there are no problems.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:44 AM

The public hearing is being held this evening at 7pm at the Municipal Center at 211 N. Henry Street.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:52 PM

Looks like this didnt go through and the land is up for sale.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:33 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,093,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark View Post
Looks like this didnt go through and the land is up for sale.
Thanks for the update. I hadn't heard anything about it for a while and figured that they may have given up on the idea. The applicant's failure to properly address the concerns of area residents was the perfect recipe for widespread opposition. Had this been proposed in the neighborhoods and areas where many of our other forum members reside, I doubt the reaction would have been any less vocal in opposition to it.

On a separate note, there's a mayoral election and school district bond vote coming up on May 9. West Main Elementary is one of the campuses that will be replaced with a new facility at the same location if the measure passes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas